Overhead press your bodyweight challenge!

Home of strength: powerlifting, olympic lifting, grip strength, strongman, odd object lifting, explosive power...

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Overhead press your bodyweight challenge!

Postby JP » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:38 pm

some peeps here can do this already, but how about a challenge to overhead press your bodyweight. You can strict press it, push press it or jerk it, no matter what, but just get it overhead!

Lets give it a deadline as well: 3 months - deadline is in the end of January 2006 - New deadline: end of the year :D

Enter your bodyweight, your current overhead press max and lets go! If your weight changes during the challenge, please post about it when updating your press. Please also state how you pressed it, strict, push, or jerk (this doesn't matter, but its interesting info!)

BODYWEIGHT OVERHEAD PRESS CHALLENGE
all weights in kilos
bodyweights rounded to nearest whole kg
lifted weights rounded to nearest half kg

[code]
Name Bodyweight Starting OH press Current OH press Difference
==========================================================================

sensless 94 84 (sn) 95 (sn) -1
drummer boy 86 75 (je) 88.5 (pu) -2.5
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wobbly Lifter 72 54.5 (pu) 70.5 (je) 1.5
Oak 83 70 (pu) 80 (pu) 3
Buzz 100 65 (pu) 95 (lo) 5
jemmyducks 71 52 (st) 65 (lo) 6
Joe C 82 75 (pu) 75 (pu) 7
Kryptonite V 85 65 (st) 77.5 (pu) 7.5
tylerm 102 68 (pu) 93 (je) 9
frostfire 61 43 (je) 52 (je) 9
bronco 95 45 (st) 85 (je) 10
JP 111 70 (st) 100 (pu) 11
clintpatty 83 70 (st) 70 (st) 13
Jonathan 120 82.5 (pu) 102.5 (pu) 17.5
Felipe 66 36 (pu) 48 (pu) 18
Anton 85 60 (pu) 65 (pu) 20
albin 80 35 (st) 60 (pu) 20
michaelhobson 109 70 (st) 84 (pu) 25
hannibal 110 80 (st) 80 (st) 30
Prenna 75 30 (sa) 30 (sa) 45

st=strict je=jerk pu=push sn=snatch sa=sandbag lo=log
[/code]
Last edited by JP on Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:01 am, edited 11 times in total.
JP
Site Admin

Postby albin » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:44 pm

I don't think I will enter. I just want to point out that if I do, I just have to improve my overhead press (strict) with 5 kilos more than JP needs to improve his. That is to say I need to add another 40 kg or maybe not even that since I have never maxed out on overhead presses. :D And JP needs to add 35 kg. :o
albin

Postby michaelhobson » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:45 pm

Why not mate? We have a challenge for everything else. :D

Michael - 109kg - 70kg(strict)

Wow, that's a long way to go. :shock:
michaelhobson

Postby JP » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:50 pm

aderpale - think about entering though, its suprising how much you can add to your overhead press when you don't make it strict. I think i should be able to push press about 80-85kg soon enough :)

... then only thing i need to do is lose 20kg of bodyweight and i am there :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby buzz » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:57 pm

Good idea!

Current overhead max is 65kg push, and 62.5 strict. Pretty sure i could get it up some if i worked on form with the push press, using more drive etc. 3 months is a decent target.
buzz

Postby prenna » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:01 pm

I'm in!

Prenna 75kg (on average) 30kg sandbag (push)

As usual I haven't been training in ages butthis should give me a goal to work towards. A 45kg increase in 3 months? No problem :lol:
prenna

Postby lilou » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:08 pm

I'm not so good at this sort of thing so I thought I'd ask, what's the difference between strict, push and jerk?
lilou

Postby bronco » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:18 pm

[quote="lilou"]I'm not so good at this sort of thing so I thought I'd ask, what's the difference between strict, push and jerk?

Strict you just stand straight and push the weight up with the shoulders.
Push you use leg drive to get the bar moving.
Jerk I guess you first use legdrive to get the bar moving, then drop down under it, preferably by putting one leg front and one back, but dropping down to an overhead squat is also possible I think. Then you just need to stand up straight and you're home.
[quote="JP"]Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby bronco » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:20 pm

Hmm, I dont know my overhead press max, guessing maybe 55kg strict. I also have another problem : The ceiling in the Derek Zoolander gym is to low to do overhead press :oops:. Sitting could be an option of course, but I dont like that too much for whatever reason.
[quote="JP"]Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby lilou » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:26 pm

[quote="bronco"][quote="lilou"]I'm not so good at this sort of thing so I thought I'd ask, what's the difference between strict, push and jerk?

Strict you just stand straight and push the weight up with the shoulders.
Push you use leg drive to get the bar moving.
Jerk I guess you first use legdrive to get the bar moving, then drop down under it, preferably by putting one leg front and one back, but dropping down to an overhead squat is also possible I think. Then you just need to stand up straight and you're home.

Ok, thanks! :D
lilou

Postby Jonathan » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:41 pm

nice challenge, and a good idea with the strongman comp too, but i may have to pass, as i think that for me it is unattainable in that time. the most ive put over my head is 82.5kg on a clean and press, but i would have to add at least 20kg to that, and that is assuming my weight stays the same, which i hope it wont.

jonathan
[quote="Kathryn"]You're getting a hedge trimmer, I want a bubble machine. I need it for my job
Jonathan

Postby sensless » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:55 pm

What about having it a "Who can improve their overhead lift the most" contest instead. That way anyone can enter it (like VeganEssentials and I) regardless of bodyweight and current press. Though the fun of a bodyweight press competiton is undeniable, just thought I'd toss it out there. What are your thoughts?

Regards,

Sensless

Best Clean & Jerk (competition) 120kg@94kg bodyweight (July 2005)
Best Press (gym lift) 305 pounds@188 pounds bodyweight (back in 1999)
poop.
sensless

Postby JP » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:01 pm

sensless, we are too weak here for you guys :D Bodyweight OH press is a big milestone for many, and i think one criterias of a strong person which is why i wanted to have a challenge on that. You have sailed past that ages ago though...

Jonathan, am i undertstanding you correctly: you are not participating to a challenge :shock: are you ok mate? ;) hey, you have much less to work on to get to your 105kg -ish press than me! And it would support your quest for 300lbs bench as well, so dont be shy! Unattainable goals - nothing new there for us :D

bronco, i would say this should be done standing, but if you can't do it, just do it sitting down and we can note that in the table. Besides, wouldn't it be much harder sitting down?
JP
Site Admin

Postby Kryptonite V » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:21 pm

I like the idea, but 3 months is impossible for me. At least when the start is now. As i mentioned in the 300lbs bench thread, i'm on diet till december and start the mass and strength cycle then. One month is not enough.

I don't know my max on that exercise, i've never tried. But i was always weakest in shoulders, i guess 65kg are close at the moment (strict press), with ~82kg (? - i have no scale) BW.

But i'll try to get stronger in that exercise anyway, so sometime around the end of next year i might be able to press my bodyweight - hopefully 93kg by then :D

Ah, and i think a strict press sitting is not harder than a strict press standing. I used to do behind the head presses sitting (dunno what this is called in English) and could handle much more than barbell press standing. Obviuosly you can't jerk while sitting, though ;)
[quote="buzz"]looks like BEACH SEASON IS UPON US!
Kryptonite V
Radioactive Member

Postby bronco » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:36 pm

[quote="JP"]bronco, i would say this should be done standing, but if you can't do it, just do it sitting down and we can note that in the table. Besides, wouldn't it be much harder sitting down?

Nah, I dont do sitting presses. For religious reasons :lol:. But you are right, it would definitely be harder. Il just have to do the pressing the hardcore way - outside :twisted:.

bronco
Site Admin

Next

Return to Power and Strength