Vegan Eliterunner etc.

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Vegan Eliterunner etc.

Postby Pink_Clouds » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:47 pm

Hi.
Im in a discusion with a girl who says you absolutly CANt train on elite level (really hard traing I guess thats mean) if your a vegan.
She want me to name one professional athletics who's a vegan..
I know you can train as much as any maeteater as a vegan but I want examples to show her=)
/Lolo
Pink_Clouds

Postby ultra_whippet » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:57 pm

Dave Scott, elite triathlete & 5 time Ironman winner. I think he did a fair bit of training :wink:
ultra_whippet

Postby Malcolms Billy » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:15 pm

First of all, Pat Reeves, 13 (? not sure, maybe 12 or 14!) times British powerlifting champion, before that succesful marathon runner (see www.veganbodybuilding.org.uk for profile and pictures of her and other successful vegan athletes).
Fiona Oakes (marathongirl on this site, see her website www.towerhillstables.com) has got an elite place in the London Marathon, setting down incredible times - whilst running a 200+ animal sanctuary singlehandedly!
As far as I know Martina Navratilova is a vegan too.
If you do a google on 'vegan athlets' it produces a site with names of vegan top athletes.
And of course there'll be your good old self to prove a vegan athlete's worth! :wink:

See ya,
Billy
Last edited by Malcolms Billy on Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malcolms Billy

Some examples

Postby Oak » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:55 am

Hiya,

I think that some people just won't give the doubting up. It can be exhuasting at times.
When people find out, after saying that vegans can't be strong, that i have a bit of extra strength on me, they then say "but you could never reach the level of a professional". It's easily countered but still a bit of a silly statement. Sometimes you just have to say "You might be right, i don't know but i feel fine and am stronger than a lot of people i meet".

Some examples of people who have become strong on a vegan diet are...

Carl Lewis (Vegan when training) Now an actor?
Brendan Brazier - Successful Triathlete. Check out his website.
Brendanbrazier.com

Apart from that why don't you check out
Famousveggie.com - which lists quite a few vegan athletes.

Also some of the people on this forum are very successful at their sport.

So pinkclouds, i hope that you give the girl some thinking material. Encourage her to give vegetarianism a go. She'll be stronger. :wink:

Oak :D
Oak

Postby JP » Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:19 am

There are many, but what i usually say after listing couple names mentioned here (plus perhaps Harri Nieminen, also a board member & thai boxing world champion and Martin Whittred http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/martin.htm a grip master) that the number of vegans in the society as a whole is still fairly small and that compared to that small portion of the population i'd argue that there are suprisingly many vegan top level athletes.

This is, people usually just throw that opinion in the air and just don't know anything about the subject. When they ask that question it's not that they have any knowledge to back it up - veganism just feels so weird and impossible for them.
JP
Site Admin

Postby Malcolms Billy » Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:30 am

You can also say that, just because the other person eats meat, it doesn't necessarily mean that they will be able to compete at elite level. I mean, come on, the very vast majority of athletes won't compete at such a level no matter what their diet is, and many don't even care to. It's a bit of a no-goer really, another example of how veganism has to prove itself to any old meathead about to be superior in their perceived way. Annoying really.
Hey pinkclouds, I don't mean that you're annoying, please don't get me wrong! It's just the constant type of questioning by meatheads who want all sorts of justifications for a vegan lifestyle. Let's face it, it's been proven to be far superior already anyway, from an ethical as well as health point of view. So has not smoking. Still millions of people puff their and your health away, and won't give it up no matter what. 's The same with an omnivore diet. I never mind giving genuinely interested people info about veganism, but I've had enough of satisfying devoted meatheads' curiosity and judgementality.

Rant over!

See ya,
Billy
Malcolms Billy

Postby Pink_Clouds » Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:53 am

[quote="skinny whippet"]Dave Scott, elite triathlete & 5 time Ironman winner. I think he did a fair bit of training :wink:

Pink_Clouds

Postby Oak » Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:17 pm

Vegan, world class high jumper (ethical too!)

Weia Reinboud (Dutch)

Oak

Postby prenna » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:33 pm

if I remember rightly...

Craig Heath - Professional figure skater

Charlene Wong Williams - Olympian and professional figure skater

Ruth Heidrich - Ironwoman and marathon runner

Ben Mathews - Masters marathon runner

Kim Wurzel - U.S. national team synchronised swimmer
prenna

Postby Shinobi » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:29 pm

Competing at an elete level requires genetics suited to the sport.
Shinobi

Postby Mary » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:05 pm

Tell her to check out Carl Lewis' website. It describes in detail his training routine and what he ate. Also Martina Navratalova definitely is a vegan. Wahay! :D And she went vegan for animal rights reasons, not for her health. Her improved performance was an unexpected happy bonus. (Can't remember where I read that - it was in some magazine from when I was still a veggie, so eight or nine years ago now.)
Mary

Postby stateofflux » Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:16 pm

[quote="Oak"]Vegan, world class high jumper (ethical too!)

Weia Reinboud (Dutch)

Weia joined the board recently :D
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby J » Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:20 pm

A search of "vegan athletes" brings up SOME vegan athletes but I've stumbled across others that weren't listed. (Try to email the authors of the sites when I do.)

For example: Amby Burfoot won the Boston Marathon in the 60's I believe. (Well maybe he was only vegetarian, can't remember now.)
J

Elite Ultra Trail Runner

Postby Daniel » Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:26 pm

[quote="Pink_Clouds"]Hi.
Im in a discusion with a girl who says you absolutly CANt train on elite level (really hard traing I guess thats mean) if your a vegan.
She want me to name one professional athletics who's a vegan..
I know you can train as much as any maeteater as a vegan but I want examples to show her=)
/Lolo

Here's a name for you Scott Jurek. He has won ultrarunning's premier Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run for the last six years straight on a vegan diet. In June he beat the races all time record, finishing with 15:36:27! He claims to run 120 mile a week. Think that is elite enough for your friend?

She can check out www.scottjurek.com
Daniel

Postby alexs » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:32 pm

This thread is excellent!!

I'm gonna print it and keep it with me for the next time I'm questioned!
alexs

Return to Vegan Runners