Bruce Lee, a Vegan?

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Bruce Lee, a Vegan?

Postby Mary » Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:41 pm

Just wondered if anybody knew whether Bruce Lee was a vegan :?:

I saw his daughter on the Big Breakfast several years ago, talking to Johnny Vauhn and Denise Van Outen about her father. She said she was very ashamed of herself, because although he brought her and her brother (Brandon Lee) up a hundred percent vegetarian, she rebelled in her teenage years, and started eating with her friends at burger joints. She said when he found out what she was up to "it broke his heart." She claims now to be a hundred percent veggie herself.

Now, I know that some Americans use the term "100% veggie" to mean vegan, and she also said that one of the contributing factors to her father's death was an allergic reaction to a milk product in a painkiller that he took, since she claimed he had never consumed dairy products. Also, I know that in certain parts of China, and in certain traditions (Buddhist for example) veganism is far more common that it is over here. So does this mean that Bruce Lee (not to mention Brandon out of the Crow) was a vegan?

Please, if anyone knows let us all know. It would be fantastic if he was! I would love to rub that in the face of all martial artists who think a vegan has to be a wuss. (Mind you, one idiot has already said to me, "that's why he died then was it?")
Mary

Postby Shinobi » Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:28 pm

He wasn't a vegan. He didn't eat cheese and milk but he ate meat. in the book "The Art of Expressing the Human Body" it says Bruce Lee like asian dishes as they had the ideal ratio of vegatables to meat.
Shinobi

Postby Mary » Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:00 pm

Damn. Damn damn damn damn damn. :x :evil:

So his daughter was a liar!

Tell you what though, I knew someone here would know.

Thanks a lot mate. (I don't mean that as ironically as it sounds...)
Mary

Postby Mary » Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:31 pm

Mind you, something just dawned on me. Since she says quite categorically that he was a vegetarian, and was heart broken when she started to eat meat, maybe he turned vegan later on? What do we think?

Possible?
Mary

Postby Shinobi » Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:54 am

A netsearch for "bruce lee vegetarian" brought up nothing. Stick with Carl Lewis if you want a posterboy ;)
Shinobi

Postby Mary » Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:54 am

Sadly Carl Lewis isn't actually a vegan. He is (or was) only vegan when he trained. :(

Don't know if he is mantaining the diet these days.

It is all too easy for people to get tied up with celebrities anyway, as though we need them to endorse our moral choice. Orlando Bloom turns out to have dumped veganism, which may disapoint some young vegan ladies. Toby Maquire (veggie, not vegan) is in some god awful racing film sat on the back of a horse, as though the racing industry was compatable with a compassionate diet.

We will just have to be our own heroes!:wink:
Mary

Postby prenna » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:37 am

If you're looking for vegan athletes to be heroes I'd suggest Ruth Heidrich:

"Dr. Heidrich is a six-time Ironman Triathlon finisher, holder of more than 900 gold medals from every distance from 100 meter dashes to 5K road races to ultramarathons and triathlons. She has completed more than 60 marathons all over the world, including Boston, New York, Moscow, and has held 3 world fitness records in her age group at the famed Cooper Clinic in Dallas, Texas. She also was named one of the "Top Ten Fittest Women in North America" in 1999 [at the age of 64].....As of 2003 she has been vegan for 21 years."
prenna

Postby Rochellita » Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:55 pm

yep, we invited her here but she hasn't joined yet. She's pretty inspiring.

Rochelle
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby Mary » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:30 pm

Then we have Pat Reeves as well - again, a really inspiring character!
Mary

Postby V VII Hero » Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:41 pm

Bruce Lee is awesome. I have two books on him.
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Postby GenTDuke » Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:19 pm

The Bruce Lee foundation claim they will provide people with any information they need.

http://www.bruceleefoundation.com/index.html

Bruce Lee Foundation
11693 San Vicente Blvd, Suite 918
Los Angeles, CA 90049
GenTDuke

Postby Mary » Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:24 pm

Last time I wrote to them they wrote back saying that they couldn't provide me with that information. Mind you, I was writing as a representative of a vegan campaigning group, so maybe that made them reluctant to deal with me.

I will write back as a private individual, and see if I have any better luck.
Mary

Postby CENTURION 2 CENTS » Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:51 pm

Mary wrote:I will write back as a private individual, and see if I have any better luck.

Mary:
Heehee, good luck with that, I'll be interested to hear the response whatever it is you get (if anything)....

GenTDuke:
That was my first visit to the BruceLee Foundation site, not much on there,
rather oddly, but it says it should be complete this year in 2004...and besides
which its ongoing, but I expected to see more actually since its inception date of 2002.... oh well, check back later.
ЖЖЖЖЖЖЖЖЖЖ health-enthusiast-*vegan*-fitness-guru-fanatic--with passion-for-exercise & mind. Spiritual-into vitality-wellbeing-weights, compassion, eco-sustaining lifestyle.. (the only lifestyle)
CENTURION 2 CENTS

Postby Mary » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:37 pm

Bruce Lee was not a vegan. :cry: He may have gone veggie though after moving to America. The damned website crashed on me. I still haven't heard back from the institute. Once I do I will let you know.

In the meantime, how about his abdominal workout?

Waist twists - four sets of 90 repetitions.

Sit-up twists - four sets of 20 repetitions.

Leg raises - four sets of 20 repetitions.

Leaning twists - four sets of 50 repetitions.

Frog kicks - four sets of 50 repetitions.

What is a frog twist when it is at home?
Mary

Return to General Discussion