exercise bikes

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

exercise bikes

Postby C » Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:30 am

Hello,

Erm, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, as it is obviously stationary cycling! Maybe I should have posted in the cardio section?!

I was just wondering if anyone would recommend me buying one? Are they of any use?

Thanks in advance,

C
C

Postby Dave Noisy » Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:44 am

Since they're so specific, and cycling indoors is so gross, i'd have to say no..

Get yourself a decent road bike, and a resistance trainer (clamps onto the rear wheel, lets you ride indoors) for when you really wanna pedal inside...and ride outside as much as possible. =)
Dave Noisy

Postby fredrikw » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:26 am

A good quality stationary bike is going to cost you quite a lot of money, cheaper ones are not that good.

If you're interested in cycling outdoors too, Dave's suggestion is a good one. Even though this will cost you more money you will get a more versatile exercise equipment.

If you're not into cycling in general, or have a tight budget, I'd suggest spinning for starters. Much easier to keep the motivation up (sitting at home pedaling in your living room can be so boring you cant' imagine...), and the cost is substantially less, plus you often get access to a gym and other forms of group training as well.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Matt Norwood » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:22 am

I have a stationary trainer with a wattage meter, cadence, cyclometer, etc. which is great if you want to specialize your workouts and check your improvement. The trainer attaches to my actual bike rather than it being an all in one unit. Most people I know in cold climates use them quite a bit in the winter and the nice thing about them is they simulate the road well enough as well as allowing you to use your actual bike. So no need to have two different bikes or settings when you move indoors from outdoors.
Matt Norwood

Postby TriMe » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:12 pm

I know when I move from fairly sunny St. Louis to not sunny at all New York City, the trainer is number one on my list of purchases (and that list includes furniture :D ). Your cycle should be your baby, and if you get one then you'll see how much more fun it is to ride, even indoors, than a stationary.
TriMe

Postby Kiz » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:43 am

I was given a free stationary cycle the other day. It was sure worth what I paid for it! :D They're ok I guess, I've used it a few times. I wouldn't pay for one, though.
Kiz

Return to Cycling Forum