How to boost iron levels fast without taking iron tablets?

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

How to boost iron levels fast without taking iron tablets?

Postby emm7 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:49 am

Do any of you have tried and tested ways of using food/drink to quickly get iron levels up (instead of resorting to iron tablets)?
Advice needed!
"she was my better half and I was just a dog"
"I don't have a drinking problem except when I can't get a drink"
"No, the moon ain't romantic, it's intimidating as hell
And some guy's trying to sell me a watch"
-- Tom Waits Bad Liver and a Broken Heart
emm7

Postby downhillingdemon » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:12 pm

Lots of orange juice and other vitamin C rich foods as well as:

Wholemeal bread,
Baked beans,
Figs,
More beans,
More wholemeal bread

Drink tea away from meals

Why no supplements though? If you are low on iron you should really take them to get back up to speed quick IMHO.

Happened to me last year - I'd been eating absolute shite for months (white bread, processed foods with only limited fruit and no decent wholegrains or legumes). I'd also been getting heavier and heavier periods after coming off the pill for the first time in 15 years. Plus I was drinking more black tea than ever (reduces iron absorption). I began to notice was struggling for breath on even the slightest exertion and was getting sores in my mouth. The docs thought it was a lung infection - sent me for x-rays and everything....but once reading into it I realised what the problem was. There was no way I was going back to the doctors as an anemic vegan - it was totally my fault and I would have been in the same situation if I had been a meat eater with that kind of diet + menstruation. So a bit of self help later and within a week of eating properly and taking a multivitamin I was feeling almost normal.

I still have horrendous periods, but I just make sure I eat 90% wholemeal and try to eat legumes and vit C rich foods as often as possible. Haven't had any signs of iron shortage since. :D
"You can't hide from your shadow"
downhillingdemon

Postby ninearms » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:29 pm

I'd just neck some Floridix or whatever it's called and be done with it. Don't see why anyone wouldn't take supplements if they're useful.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby downhillingdemon » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:36 pm

ninearms wrote:I'd just neck some Floridix or whatever it's called and be done with it. Don't see why anyone wouldn't take supplements if they're useful.

Floridix has honey in it.

Black-strap molasses would be a good thing to try too, if you can stomach it!
downhillingdemon

Postby ninearms » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:43 pm

downhillingdemon wrote:
ninearms wrote:I'd just neck some Floridix or whatever it's called and be done with it. Don't see why anyone wouldn't take supplements if they're useful.

The gluten/yeast free one doesn't.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby downhillingdemon » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:08 pm

ninearms wrote:
downhillingdemon wrote:

The gluten/yeast free one doesn't.

Ah, awesome 8)
downhillingdemon

Postby Gelert » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:41 pm

Doubt there's massive harm in taking a supplement for iron in the short term, as long as you don't mainline iron filings or something :D

Fortified breakfast cereals (e.g. coco-pops :D ), baked beans, humus, lentils, are among good sources of iron. Apparently garam masala as well. There's probably a big list you could assemble via google.

Some foods reduce its absorption too. Some discussion about spinach, which has a lot of iron but also stuff which binds to it.

I assume that this is off the bat of a test that's told you that you have low iron, if not then might be worth checking in case it's not iron but something else.
Gelert

Postby flightlessbirds » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:01 pm

I know Guinness is high in iron, but I don't think it is vegan. I wonder if there is a vegan stout that is also high in iron?

I had the nurse at the blood donor clinic tell me that if I was ever worried about my iron being low before donation I should just drink a Guinness a few hours before.

edit: a little research reveals that there really isn't that much iron in Guinness. It also revealed that the Guinness Extra Stout brewed in North America is vegan, yay!
flightlessbirds

Postby Gelert » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:12 pm

flightlessbirds wrote:edit: a little research reveals that there really isn't that much iron in Guinness. It also revealed that the Guinness Extra Stout brewed in North America is vegan, yay!

Awesome. Shame about the iron.

Guinness certainly wasn't vegan here in Europe when I last checked a couple of years ago, possibly still isn't.
Gelert

Postby ultra_whippet » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:28 pm

Gelert wrote:Doubt there's massive harm in taking a supplement for iron in the short term, as long as you don't mainline iron filings or something :D

Well, it seems that some can get away with more than others :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Lotito
ultra_whippet

Postby israel » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:38 pm

i took an iron test when i ate really not healthy and had low iron (hemoglobin test ) -

i ate spinech - and cucombers and peprs - not to much of anything except the spinch which i ate every day and a week after i allmost went past the advised amount of hemoglobin - some person asked me if im sure i dont smoke (which i dont -(if you smoke the hemoglobin is higher))
Last edited by israel on Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my blog thats about simple recipes (vegan) :

http://reallysimplefood.blogspot.com/
israel

Postby Gelert » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:46 pm

ultra_whippet wrote:
Gelert wrote:Doubt there's massive harm in taking a supplement for iron in the short term, as long as you don't mainline iron filings or something :D

Well, it seems that some can get away with more than others :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Lotito

I sit corrected.

Brings a whole new meaning to the term "Ironman" doesn't he? :lol: :lol:
Gelert

high in iron

Postby Magus » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:16 pm

Hello!

If you have a low iron level you have look closely to determine which iron level is reduced. And then you should find out why.

Supposed everything is fine these two ways come to my mind:
1. sprouted fenugreek (high iron) + plus cress (high in Vit. C)
2. juice of nettles (its easy to digest for the body)

Bye,
Andreas
Kallmeyer Naturheilpraxis
http://www.kallmeyer-naturheilpraxis.de
http://twitter.com/Heilpraktiker_H
Magus

Postby ska face » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:05 pm

I use Spatone iron water, in a glass of water and a Berocca every morning.

You can take two daily if you are needing to get iron levels up quickly.

It's expensive, but Boots do 3 for 2.
ska face

Postby mabli » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:37 pm

ska face wrote:I use Spatone iron water, in a glass of water and a Berocca every morning.

You can take two daily if you are needing to get iron levels up quickly.

It's expensive, but Boots do 3 for 2.

Use this, its very good and is much easier to absorb. Not nasty at all. Holland & Barret do it too and vegan soc mebers get a 10% discount there and they have a 50% off second item at the moment.

And if ever you come to North Wales you can see where it comes from, there's a spa thats been used since Roman times. You get a little spoon and drink from a pool inside a cave, its really cool! :D :D :D
mabli

Next

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating