Spirulina + supplement too much?

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Spirulina + supplement too much?

Postby _Andreas_ » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:59 pm

I've just bought a big load of Spirulina quite cheaply, but was wondering if I might be getting too much iron if I take it.

The recommended dose of spirulina gives me 100% RDA of iron, but I currently also take a multi vit which contains 100% RDA again. I also eat a lot of blackstrap molasses for calcium + leafy greens so get plenty.

If I take the spirulina am I going to be getting way too much iron? When I've finished this multi vit I will get a different one which only has the few essentials like B12, because I dont need the rest and heard bad stuff about pre formed vitamin A.

Should I take it or wait till the multi vit runs out?
_Andreas_

Postby Pro Radii » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:18 am

It really depends on how much iron you're actually absorbing. Do you always consume vitamin c with your iron? You mentioned that your main sources of iron are your multi vitamin, molasses, and leafy greens -- all of which also contain calcium. Iron and calcium consumed together inhibit absorption of each other, so it's hard to say how much iron you're actually getting.

Have you had your levels checked recently? I have to say, I'm jealous of all you peeps who have the problem of consuming too much iron, when I'm struggling just to keep my levels in the lower healthy range. :P
Pro Radii

Postby _Andreas_ » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:04 pm

eh, never heard that calcium + iron inhibit each other. Shit if its true. At least I get a lot of figs, sesame seeds, almonds etc as well.
_Andreas_

Re: Spirulina + supplement too much?

Postby daisy » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:19 am

_Andreas_ wrote:I've just bought a big load of Spirulina quite cheaply, but was wondering if I might be getting too much iron if I take it.

The recommended dose of spirulina gives me 100% RDA of iron, but I currently also take a multi vit which contains 100% RDA again. I also eat a lot of blackstrap molasses for calcium + leafy greens so get plenty.

If I take the spirulina am I going to be getting way too much iron? When I've finished this multi vit I will get a different one which only has the few essentials like B12, because I dont need the rest and heard bad stuff about pre formed vitamin A.

i would recommend anyone not to take spirulina. the was just recently a german book published about B12 and spirulina activly lowers your b12 levels. spirulina contains more B12-analogues then real active B12 and inhibits your b12-absorption as it is blocking your receptors. so with spirulina you lower you b12 levels quicker than without any supp.
so i would recommend to stop it and take some supp with b12.
that is also official opinion of vegan society austria and vegan society england.

:-) daisy
http://www.vegan.at - http://www.veganisnormal.com - http://www.veganmania.at
daisy

Postby offense74 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:37 am

daisy wrote:
_Andreas_ wrote:I've just bought a big load of Spirulina quite cheaply, but was wondering if I might be getting too much iron if I take it.

i would recommend anyone not to take spirulina. the was just recently a german book published about B12 and spirulina activly lowers your b12 levels. spirulina contains more B12-analogues then real active B12 and inhibits your b12-absorption as it is blocking your receptors. so with spirulina you lower you b12 levels quicker than without any supp.
so i would recommend to stop it and take some supp with b12.
that is also official opinion of vegan society austria and vegan society england.

:-) daisy

I just stopped using spirulina for this reason. Figured it out for myself since I know about the analogues. Have a pretty severe depression right now, I hope this helps...

"The surest way to happiness is low expectations."
offense74

Postby daisy » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:35 am

offense74 wrote:Have a pretty severe depression right now, I hope this helps...

good luck with that! :-)
http://www.vegan.at - http://www.veganisnormal.com - http://www.veganmania.at
daisy

Postby offense74 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:44 pm

daisy wrote:
offense74 wrote:Have a pretty severe depression right now, I hope this helps...

good luck with that! :-)

Thanks, it will get better, it's just an unusual feeling for me :)

"The surest way to happiness is low expectations."
offense74

Postby benzilla » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:52 am

I've been watching Dr Gregor's latest in clinical nutrition dvd's and he says spirulina is harmful to your health, so i'd go with not taking it at all.
benzilla

Postby Alistar » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:26 am

Yeah quite interesting the whole spirulina issue. When I went vegan in 1994 I don't think they knew about the B12 analogue issue- I certainly didn't! I wanted to do it all natural without supplements and for 10yrs I didn't supplement for B12 - instead taking spirulina regularly which was marketed as a fantastic source (which as we now know is totally useless!). Of course I used up all my B12 stores and started getting a sore tongue, with flat smooth patches that luckily I recognised as a deficiency sign, so started supplementing B12 in earnest. Surprised I lasted 10yrs though!

However I wonder how long the B12 analogues bind to the receptors in ones system? Can you take spirulina one day, then supplement with "real" B12 the next and absorb it? Or are you stuffed for a month?
Apart from B12, and on paper anyway, the other nutrients, and protein component in Spirulina looks quite good which is a bit of a pity...

Does anyone know if Chlorella has B12 analogues like Spirulina btw?
Alistar

Postby jbaer4 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:09 am

most spirulina is flashed dried with extreme heat (very few brands are sun dried as it takes a very long time. these brands are generally very expensive) the extreme heat caramelizes the outer layer of the algae rendering it impossible for out systems to break down. all the nutritional value is locked in a shell that we cant open.... we just poop it out the same way we put it in. if you are getting your spirulina cheap chances are, you are not getting any nutritional value from it anyway so dont worry about to much iron. dont want to rain on your parade... just ant you to be an educated consumer... wasting money sucks. call the company and ask how they dry the algae.....
weak people can not be sincere
jbaer4

Postby damdaman » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:46 pm

It is not advisable for men to take a multivitamin supplement with iron in it unless you've been tested and have low iron levels. As I'm sure you know it can easily become toxic, and most men's formulas exclude it entirely. Women lose iron in their monthly cycle so they are safer to take some in pill form, but if I were you I would switch to a multi that does not contain iron.
damdaman

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating