Any Vegans with Tourettes?

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Any Vegans with Tourettes?

Postby davidstraitjacket » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:59 pm

Hi guys

I was wondering if there are any Vegans with Tourettes here on the forum?

Anyone who has ever seen one of my shows has likely noticed the tell tale tics, and occasional weird noises (though my vocal tics are thankfully rare during the daytime, and never involve much volume or swearing). My muscle tics can be quite severe at times, but I find that they calm down somewhat on stage, and I can usually hold them off until after the show.

I would be interested to know if a Vegan diet has helped in any way, and if people avoid, or gravitate towards certain foodstuffs? I became vegan a few years after developing the condition as a child, and have no way of knowing what (if any) effect my diet may have had.

For my part I limit myself to one coffee a day (I love coffee, so this has never been fun!), and take a B Vitamin complex pill daily. The B vitamins in particular have helped a lot and I recommend this highly.
davidstraitjacket

Postby puppydog » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:56 am

Hi,
No idea if a vegan diet or avoiding certain foods will help, but good luck !
Arf! Arf! Grrrr! Arf!
puppydog

Postby davidstraitjacket » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:37 pm

Hi Omar

To be honest I am just curious at this point. Not planning to change my diet unless something I can add or take away will likely have promising results.

I have been Vegan for 18 years, and had Tourettes for 20+ years, so I have no idea at all of my diet helps in any way with this.

David
davidstraitjacket

Postby tuc » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:21 pm

Sorry guys, I just had to. :twisted:

tuc

Postby Spalvid » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:38 pm

I´ve got Tourettes since birth I suppose. It was worse when I was younger, up til I was 15 years old or so. Still got some facial tics though, very rarely any sounds. I´ve been vegan for eight years, since I was 20, and haven´t noticed any difference at all in my TS since I changed for the better.

But it´s never been a real problem for me either, so I haven´t been thinking too much about it.
Spalvid

Postby V VII Hero » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:00 pm

a bunch of years ago when I got introduced to veganism, the guy who helped me go vegan had tourette's. his vegan lifestyle/diet didnt seem to change much about his condition, as he still had many ticks.
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Postby thestoatyone » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:28 pm

Meant to post this earlier, but am I right in saying you are a swordswallower? And you have tourettes?

Brave man! :D
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby davidstraitjacket » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:19 pm

[quote="thestoatyone"]Meant to post this earlier, but am I right in saying you are a swordswallower? And you have tourettes?

Brave man! :D

hehe.. yeah, ticcing with a sword down my throat would be bad... Like crossing the streams bad :) - Remember Ghostbusters?

Thankfully something about the body control required to swallow a sword seems to shut down the tourettes for the time it takes to achieve the swallow. While swallowing a sword I am mentally turning off a bunch of physical instincts that most people have never even heard of, let alone tried to switch off. Shutting down the tourettes during sword swallowing isn't all that tough all considering I am switching a load of other instincts at the same time. It's just one final hurdle.
davidstraitjacket

Postby thestoatyone » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:28 pm

Cool!

Does that help to control your TS day to day?

Like, I know people with depression are supposed to knit or juggle 'cos the same part of the brain that controls the hands also controls interior monologue, is there any carry over?

Sorry for the twenty questions, just a bit impressed at someone overcoming a condition like that and getting up on stage as well, props dude :D

My Log

thestoatyone

Postby Gelert » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:34 pm

[quote="davidstraitjacket"]Thankfully something about the body control required to swallow a sword seems to shut down the tourettes for the time it takes to achieve the swallow. While swallowing a sword I am mentally turning off a bunch of physical instincts that most people have never even heard of, let alone tried to switch off. Shutting down the tourettes during sword swallowing isn't all that tough all considering I am switching a load of other instincts at the same time. It's just one final hurdle.

Very interesting! Is it perhaps a bit like stuttering? I know a few people who have quite pronounced stutters, but when they "concentrate" on saying or singing something they have rehearsed they have no problems. My old headmaster was a brilliant example; in everday conversation he would stutter endlessly, but in his other life as a stand-up comedian he had no problems at all.

Out of interest, what kind of instincts need to be turned off? I'm guessing gag reflex is high on the list!

[quote]For my part I limit myself to one coffee a day (I love coffee, so this has never been fun!),

This rings a bell - I don't have TS, but I do get these weird eye/facial tics if I haven't slept for a day or two because of work and drunk too much coffee.

Still loads of respect for putting big shiny things in your cakehole. Not your average pastime :D
Gelert

Postby thestoatyone » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:39 pm

[quote]I know a few people who have quite pronounced stutters, but when they "concentrate" on saying or singing

I heard singing was good for easing a stutter as well, something about having something else to focus on (holding a tune - hopefully) than the meaning of the words maybe...

DSJ, do you just do swords? Saw a guy swallow a neon tube a while back (one of the Eurovision's I think) and that looked phenomenal :shock:

My Log

thestoatyone

Postby emm7 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:46 pm

This sword swallowing sounds like quite a feat. :shock:
"she was my better half and I was just a dog"
"I don't have a drinking problem except when I can't get a drink"
"No, the moon ain't romantic, it's intimidating as hell
And some guy's trying to sell me a watch"
-- Tom Waits Bad Liver and a Broken Heart
emm7

Postby thestoatyone » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:50 pm

[quote]This sword swallowing sounds like quite a feat

Nearly, wrong end...

My Log

thestoatyone

Postby thestoatyone » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:51 pm

Oh FEAT.

Sorry.

Gets coat....

My Log

thestoatyone

Postby davidstraitjacket » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:55 pm

I haven't swallowed a neon actually, but I have swallowed things of similar dimensions. I have a huge screwdriver that I sometimes swallow, it would be around the same size.

Yes, focusing on a particular task helps both Stammering and Tourettes.

The knitting and juggling thing is different. This is to do with the way it forces both sides of your brain to work in tandem.

As for what needs to be shut down the gag reflex is the first hurdle, and unfortunately the easiest. There are more gag reflexes further down which are quite a bit worse, including the one on the stomach entrance, the esophagus has a nasty habit of contracting very strongly when it thinks it needs to force a large object either out, or down into the stomach. This one could case serious damage if it happens while swallowing a sword since it could cause a serious internal tear. You also need to control the valve at the entrance to the throat. The one which decides whether you are swallowing or breathing, along with a general total rejection of the foreign object that your body and brain put you through!

Don't know if it helps to control TS from day to day, I generally just let it do it's thing and only try and control it if I am on stage.
davidstraitjacket

Return to General Discussion