Copenhagen anyone?

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Copenhagen anyone?

Postby flightlessbirds » Wed May 27, 2009 3:11 pm

Anyone from Copenhagen or having spent some time there who could recommend a restaurant for me? I'm only in for a day and fly out for Greenland in the morning (now there's a vegan challenge... last year I ate a lot of arugula and mustard sammiches).

So yeah, thoughts on food? Things to see?

Last year I just walked around a lot. Saw the palaces, those big gardens down by the water, Nyhavn, that long walking street. It's a beautiful city and it made my heart overflow with bicycle joy. Still holding out to do a term there during my PhD...
flightlessbirds

Postby fredrikw » Wed May 27, 2009 3:39 pm

Haven't been there since going vegan so I can't help you there. Happycow is always a good place to start when going to a new place, but I guess you already know this :)

Next time you should take a small detour to Stockholm and say hi, always nice to meet other VFers, especially pedal powered ones 8)

My secret goal is to meet all Canadian vegan cyclists, last I checked the counter showed a stable 1 so I guess I need to do something about this :lol:
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby flightlessbirds » Wed May 27, 2009 3:48 pm

I'm sure I will make it to Stockholm sometime in the next few years. The project I am working on is a collaboration between Canada, Sweden and Finland (with the Danish Geologic Survey as contractors). My supervisor is really angling to have the next meeting in Stockholm as he really wants me to see the city. It would be pretty cool to meet you there!

Heh, last time I used Happy Cow I ended up in what seemed to me to be a University cafeteria in Helsinki :shock: I figured this time I would ask around a bit first!
flightlessbirds

Re: Copenhagen anyone?

Postby Gelert » Wed May 27, 2009 4:00 pm

[quote="flightlessbirds"]Anyone from Copenhagen or having spent some time there who could recommend a restaurant for me? I'm only in for a day and fly out for Greenland in the morning (now there's a vegan challenge... last year I ate a lot of arugula and mustard sammiches).

So yeah, thoughts on food? Things to see?

Last year I just walked around a lot. Saw the palaces, those big gardens down by the water, Nyhavn, that long walking street. It's a beautiful city and it made my heart overflow with bicycle joy. Still holding out to do a term there during my PhD...

Had a stirfry at the airport in Copenhagen a few months ago, it was on the menu as vegetarian, but from the listed ingredients it was vegan as long as you had it with rice and not noodles.

I feel your pain re. the Arctic diet. I did something similar on bread, baked beans, sweetcorn and jalapeno peppers in Svalbard. Everyone else had crayfish, parma ham etc and I became known as the guy who didn't eat anything. Good times!

Have a fun and safe trip!
Gelert

Postby fredrikw » Wed May 27, 2009 4:04 pm

Cool, make sure to let me know if/when this is happening. Of course I expect you to bring your bike as well 8)
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby erske » Wed May 27, 2009 6:22 pm

Riz raz, mediteranian restaurant, with a large vegetarian buffet, mostly vegan!

http://www.rizraz.dk/
Something irrelevant about cavemen
erske

Postby flightlessbirds » Wed May 27, 2009 7:37 pm

yum! Mediterranean buffet! Thanks for the suggestion.

Haha, yes, I'll sneak my bike along somehow! Maybe I can convince my supervisor to let me stay an extra couple days on this theoretical future Stockholm trip and get some cycling in!

Gelert: Thanks! and yeah yeah, last time I was in Greenland they didn't count me in when they were calculating how much everyone owed for food becuase I didn't eat any meat! Vegan perk!
flightlessbirds

Postby Gelert » Wed May 27, 2009 11:47 pm

[quote="flightlessbirds"]
Gelert: Thanks! and yeah yeah, last time I was in Greenland they didn't count me in when they were calculating how much everyone owed for food becuase I didn't eat any meat! Vegan perk!

Haha!

You should write to the Lonely Planet guide writers:

[quote="Lonely Planet: Greenland & the Arctic"]Vegetarians and Vegans
Sorry folks, you're plain out of luck in the Arctic.

I was lucky though; I got Vegan Essentials in the US to deliver a stash of builder bars direct to the research station; they got through, none of our science kit from the UK did!
Gelert

Postby violetti » Thu May 28, 2009 8:08 pm

MORGENSTEDET IN CHRISTIANIA! <3 I really recommend!
violetti

Postby flightlessbirds » Thu May 28, 2009 9:14 pm

I really want to visit Christiania so that seems like a good option too! I wish had more days so I could sample more vegan restaurants :)
flightlessbirds

Postby flightlessbirds » Thu May 28, 2009 9:22 pm

Gelert:

I will write them a vegan guide to surviving Greenland:
1) cheese-less, muskox-less pizza
2) beer
3) whisky
4) mustard and arugula sammiches
5) As much tvp, backpacking meals and bars as you can stuff in to your weight restricted luggage with all the scientific equipment.
6) A happy Danish geologist willing to cook for you :)

[quote]
I was lucky though; I got Vegan Essentials in the US to deliver a stash of builder bars direct to the research station; they got through, none of our science kit from the UK did!

Shipping things north or from the north seems to be pretty hit or miss! At least you didn't starve...
Our water samples last year arrived at the University in two garbage bags instead of the crates we had packed them off in! Hmmmm, though I actually blame Canada post for that.
flightlessbirds

Postby Gelert » Thu May 28, 2009 10:06 pm

I didn't starve that year. The following summer the food resupply ship was delayed at Tromso, and then loaded the wrong containers, and thus for the last two weeks I got by on photosynthesis...

Ah, I got round that problem with samples by hand couriering them myself. About 20 kilos of frozen lake water fixed with glutaraldehyde, sediment and soil plus 12 of my own kit.

I'm not sure if the worst part was lugging the icebox from Longyearbyen airport 10ks across town, or arriving home at my flat before dropping off the samples at work, only to pick up the box and hear sloshing noises and smell glutaraldehyde. Much had thawed and leaked...

Re. your guide, sounds scarily familiar. Esp. point 2) and 3). 330 mL cans of carlsberg and Jameson whiskey seem to be the key food groups of the Arctic.

One point though:

5) As much tvp, backpacking meals and bars as you can stuff in to your weight restricted luggage with all the scientific equipment.

Amateur! Surely everyone knows that the optimal dress code for any flight like that is all your base layers, as many of your warm layers, duvet jacket, waterproofs, rigid boots and gloves, and as many heavy things as you can possibly fit into every pocket or stuff down your top.

And then stuff in as much tvp, backpacking meals and bars into your luggage as you can.

But only after cutting the handle off your toothbrush to save precious milligrams...
Gelert

Postby V VII Hero » Fri May 29, 2009 12:57 am

been to copenhagen, nice place. I recommend Falafel!!!
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Postby Kathryn » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:15 pm

Hi,

I don't know if this is too late, but this place was good for grabbing a (huge) vegan sandwich when I was there about 3 years ago and is very central:

Den Gronne Kaelder (Pilestaede 48 )

They do sit down meals as well as take away sandwiches etc.

I was there on a work trip so I had to make do most of the time, as I was there with about 60 colleagues and not even a vegetarian among them!! I managed to lose them and sneak off a couple of times though :D

Kathryn
While trying to reduce the size of the image of Jonathans's ass in the phwoar thread:

"Just leave it. People need it that big to use as wallpaper on their laptops"

20/09/07
Kathryn

Postby flightlessbirds » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:04 pm

Sweet, thanks! I do love sandwiches, so I might check that place out. Hmmm, now I have too many food options and not enough days!
flightlessbirds

Next

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews