Training for a 5k in exactly 3 weeks

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Training for a 5k in exactly 3 weeks

Postby orkidchild » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:10 pm

Hello!

So here's my deal: I haven't run consistently for a long time, but several people have asked me to run a 5k with them three weeks from today. I told two of them "no", but when my cousin (who is not really a runner and lives and hour and a half away) asked me to do it completely out of the blue, I told him I would.

I was just wondering if anyone could suggest a program to do this effectively. Today I ran/walked 3.6 miles, it was kind of rough, but I have asthma and I ate a lot of nuts before running (because I wasn't planning on going running).

Any diet tips would be great, too!

Thing is (this is my incentive to really take this seriously) I'm the art teacher at the school in the town the race is. I teach high school art, and I KNOW there will be students there (small town, about 100 kids per class). My goal isn't to WIN the race, it's more so not to 1) throw up (which I did every cross country race in school, so this may not be avoidable unless I just take it easy) 2) run the whole time 3) survive 4) not finish last.

I don't even know what good times would be. What should I be aiming for?

I'm tall, thin, and 25... So I don't think I'll have any sort of heart attack... I don't LOOK out of shape, but looks can quite deceiving.

Any help at all would be amazing!
orkidchild

Postby spike » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:49 am

Hi, welcome to VF!

Well, 3.6miles is over 5k so that sounds promising that you ran / walked that disatance already. Roughly how much time was runnign and how much walking? How long did it take? Do you do any other regular exercise?

I am not an experienced runner (so hopefully someone more qualified to comment will be along shortly) but from what you said it sounds like you would finish and survive. Not sure about being able to run the whole thing though, maybe. You probably wouldn't finish last either (being tall and thin is an advantage!)
spike

Re: Training for a 5k in exactly 3 weeks

Postby baldy » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:40 am

As its your first race I would say aim for 30-35 minutes.

5km is a good distance to start with. I would suggest pacing yourself for the first half and then push for the last half. That way you should be able to run the whole thing and hopefully not injury yourself or throw up.

3 weeks training I would suggest:
Week 1: Mon: 5km easy run, Wed: 5km faster run, Sat: long easy run for an hour, take it very easy.
Week 2: Mon: 5km easy run, Wed: 5km faster run, Sat: long easy run for an hour, take it very easy.
Week 3 : Mon: 5km fast run, Wed: 5km easy run, Sat: Race

This should be more than enough to get your going. :)

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
baldy
Site Admin

Re: Training for a 5k in exactly 3 weeks

Postby orkidchild » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:08 pm

I just found out it's a run/walk... so I might be the last runner but I shouldn't be the last person across the finish line (hopefully!!)

When I ran, most of it was running, stopping only when I felt like I was going to be sick.

I haven't done any exercise that can be considered regular. Whenever I do run, I tend to do an abundance of crunches, as well as a small amount of weight training. My brother fights MMA and coaches wrestling, so he gave me tips on all of that, but he's certainly not a runner.

Baldy: If I could fit running more than three times a week in, should I? I ran yesterday and I'm only a little sore, not on crutches or anything :-D.

Also, any dietary suggestions? I'm obviously going to avoid simple sugars, alcohol, fried stuff, and junk in general (I can't run when I eat that stuff.) But what SHOULD I eat? Everyone always says carbs, but I'm not sold on that. What about the day before/morning of the race (Morning of will probably be just water, actually)?
orkidchild

Postby spike » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:32 pm

Sounds like you will be fine! You are practically running 5k already just with a couple of breaks.

Perhaps try slowing down a bit when you run, should mean you feel the need to stop and walk less and might stop the sickness feeling. Only times I've felt sick while running is when going way faster than I can really manage.

Personally I'd eat a light breakfast 2-3 hours before the run and aviod drinking vast quantities of liquid (cos of needing to go to the loo).

Re running more than 3x a week, I only saw that in one beginners training plan - it was 10 weeks to 10k I think and in the first few weeks the 4th day of "running" was actually a walk, so sounds like doing it more often is not recommended for beginners.
spike

Postby emm7 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:42 pm

If you're a complete beginner it's best to build up gradually and start with a walk-run programme eg 2 mins running 1 min walking .
Most people can't run for any length of time if they've never done it before.

You could take this six week beginner's schedule and compress it.
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=67
emm7

Postby baldy » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:45 pm

I would not run more than 3 days a week to start with. You will just get sore, a one hour weekend session is probably actually pushing it a little. 45 minutes would be plenty. As a rule of thumb increase your training a maximum of 10% a week.

Once you have done a long session of 45 minutes you will be more confident in the race as you will know what to expect, just remember to take it easy. Your building up to a race, not racing every training session.

If you want to train more days do some crunches or stretches.

As for food, just try eat health do not change your diet to drastically too quickly. You will be burning more calories as your exercising so will want to eat more. Just make sure its good stuff and not anything crammed with sugar or fat.
baldy
Site Admin

Postby orkidchild » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:27 pm

You guys are so awesome.
So.... before reading this I did go running again today. I had to know what approximate time I could do if I just ran 5K at an easy pace.

So..... this might help you with where I'm at right now: 35:52 (no, not hours:-))

I did walk a few times, though, too.

It's not too hard not to eat horrible things for you where I live. I live in a very small rural town in Ohio. Most people around here are farmers and factory workers. The closest health food store is an hour away. So, I end up cooking 95% of my own food. Not saying I don't eat junk sometimes, though. But, really, when I run I have less of an appetite, and crave more nourishing foods.
orkidchild

Postby bruncle » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:50 pm

Run as many times a week as you can. If you're really sore, take a rest day. Otherwise, just get out there as often as possible, and you'll improve:)
bruncle

Return to Vegan Runners