Worldwide Festival of Races 11-12 October 2008

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Worldwide Festival of Races 11-12 October 2008

Postby visitorq » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:59 pm

Have you noticed that 11-12 October takes place the Worldwide Festival of Races (http://www.worldwidefestivalofraces.com/)? It's a global running event in which you can run 5K, 10K or a half-marathon. You can run in an official race, in an informal group or by yourself. Registrations and results from all over the world are collected on the website of the festival.

I think it would be cool to have a lots of vegans participating. And even cooler to have vegans who live close to each other run together, creating local mini-events.

If you haven't run for a while it's a great time to start regular running now and do (e.g.) the 5K on that weekend!

I created a team called ”Team veganfitness dot net” (real periods (dots) are not allowed in team names) which you are very welcome to join. First register for the race at the event's website, then log in, select the Races/Teams-page from the menu and join the team. Names of the teams are not shown in the registration/result-listings so I think it would be a good idea to include a reference to veganism/ar in also in your username.

Who is planning to participate? Maybe some of you have already registered? It would be nice to know your plans and and after the event, how the runs went.

I'm going to run the 5K (username: happyveganhardcore) and hopefully there will a group of us running together in Helsinki's central park (Keskuspuisto) in an informal event which I call Run For Animal Rights (Eläinoikeusjuoksu). Maybe this idea will transform in the following years into a ”real”, properly organised and advertised animal rights and veganism -themed running event.
visitorq

Postby XkillerX » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:37 am

yeah i'm up for this xbojanx are you with me?
Activists are the engineers of the soul. That's why governments lock them up.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby runner » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:33 pm

sounds good

to bad there are no registrated races in spain.
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby runner » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:36 am

think I will do a 10k the week after 19th, there is one race in madrid where number 100 runs 37min (4000) people.

would like to do this test..
runner

Postby emm7 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:55 pm

can you just go for eg. a 5K or 10K distance run by yourself on the day and time yourself and then put it on the web site, would that still count, or does it have to be a proper race?
emm7

Postby visitorq » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:32 am

[quote="emm7"]can you just go for eg. a 5K or 10K distance run by yourself on the day and time yourself and then put it on the web site, would that still count, or does it have to be a proper race?

It's perfectly OK to run by yourself and put the result on the website!
From the FAQ (there is an invisible "or" between the alternatives so you don't have to run them both ;) ):
[quote]13. When do I have to run a Worldwide Festival of Races event?
The "race results" database will be open to race entrants starting on the Saturday before the Official Festival Weekend and ending at 12:00 PM UTC on the Sunday after the Official Festival Weekend. To be able to enter your race results into the Festival Results, you'll need to meet the following requirements:

* Run an officially sanctioned road race between the Saturday prior to the Official Festival Weekend through the Sundayafter the Official Festival Weekend. Our intention, obviously, is to have the race ON the weekend, but understand that scheduling of events don't always coincide with each other.
* Run an unofficial or personally local run on your own (or with a group of friends) on the Official Festival Weekend.
visitorq

Postby runner » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:33 pm

can't do the race I wrote about was to late with registration and all numbers where gone :(
runner

Postby visitorq » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:34 pm

I just ran the 5K and my time was 23:37. I did a solo run near the place I live as there wasn't much enthusiasm to run in a group. I recovered from a cold just in time for the run and the it felt suprisingly good. Happy to continue my training for a half marathon in May!

Hopefully next year we will organize some kind of vegan/AR-themed running event.

Has anyone else from this forum participated in this year's Worldwide Festival of Races?
visitorq

Return to Vegan Runners