News release: GLYDE® Condoms First to Recieve PETA's Cruelty

New vegan products out there? Queries about products, ingredients, vegan supplements?

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

News release: GLYDE® Condoms First to Recieve PETA's Cruelty

Postby Glyde » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:19 am

Hey Everybody!

I'm new to this forum and I have some great news about my vegan condom company I'd like for you to know about....

Kare Kits Inc. (http://www.karekits.com), the exclusive North American distributor for GLYDE® vegan latex condoms, is proud to announce that GLYDE® is the first condom brand in the world to be awarded cruelty-free certification from the PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) Caring Consumer List (http://www.caringconsumer.com).

"We are so proud to be the first condom company awarded this important designation," says Dietrich Pajonk, President of Kare Kits Inc. "It reflects our commitment to ethical practices in everything we do. It's not difficult for companies to adopt environmentally and socially responsible manufacturing processes, and GLYDE® is the latest brand to prove it."

The PETA cruelty-free certification of GLYDE® follows another high-profile award earlier this year from the UK-based Vegan Society (http://www.vegansociety.com) which approved GLYDE® as a 100% animal-free product.

"We work very hard to ensure that GLYDE® is manufactured to the highest of standards and we want our customers to know that we can back-up our claims. It's so easy for companies to market their products as vegan, organic, or cruelty-free, but when shoppers see the PETA or Vegan Society logos, they know they're getting a truly ethical product," says Mr. Pajonk.

GLYDE® vegan condoms are manufactured in Malaysia by workers who are paid a living wage and are made without the commonly used dairy derivative, casein. The manufacturing facility has never utilized animal testing models for quality control practices, instead preferring tensile, air, and burst testing by machines. GLYDE® condoms are approved by the FDA and comply with standards set forth by the EEC under Directive 93/42/EEC Annex II (European Medical Devices Directive), using the Standard ISO 4704 and EN600.

Kare Kits Inc. is a medical device manufacturer/importer in Vancouver and has the exclusive North American rights to GLYDE® vegan condoms (http://www.glydeamerica.com). Kare Kits has been selling GLYDE® to health food and specialty stores in the USA for over two years and plans to bring GLYDE® vegan condoms to Canada in early 2009. GLYDE® vegan condoms are available in three sizes and five organic fruity flavors.

With over 2 million members and supporters, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) is the largest animal rights organization in the world. Through their Caring Consumer program, they research the animal-testing policies of cosmetics and household-product companies and share this information with the public.

Founded in 1944, The Vegan Society provides advice on ways of living free of animal products for the benefit of people, animals and the planet. The Vegan Society authenticates companies that make cruelty-free products and maintains a comprehensive listing for consumers' reference.
Maura Ingraham
GLYDE vegan condoms
www.glydeamerica.com
Glyde

Postby Dave Noisy » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:22 am

Heya, glad to see ya out there, are they available on the Island as well?

Careful how much you drop the 'P' word. PETA is quite disliked by a growing number of vegans and animal rights activists. Two of their latest stunts (promoting KFC and exploiting the stabbing in Manitoba) have left many disillusioned with them..

Anyway, thank you for caring so much, and creating a vegan and socially-friendly product. =)
Dave Noisy

Postby Glyde » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:00 pm

Hey Dave!

Thanks for the heads-up about the political atmosphere regarding PETA.

Glyde is currently available in the USA and we expect to be approved by Health Canada in early 2009. Tell me where you shop and I'll contact the buyer once we have Glyde available in Canada.
Maura Ingraham
GLYDE vegan condoms
www.glydeamerica.com
Glyde

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:40 pm

So what is it about the old ones that wasn't vegan ?

Amazing how we can get caught out by animal products ! :shock:
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby Glyde » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:51 am

Hey John,

Most latex condoms are manufactured with the dairy derivative, casein (which acts as a binding agent), but we use a chemical derived from the thistle family instead.

And yes, I agree that there is much exploitation of animals in modern manufacturing practices and we need to draw peoples' attention not just to food, but to other products that they buy that are made from animals.

As a business, it's not that difficult to make every step we take an ethical one. And that's why as a person I sleep so well at night.

Cheers!
-Maura
Maura Ingraham
GLYDE vegan condoms
www.glydeamerica.com
Glyde

Postby Dave Noisy » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:16 am

Ahh yes, good 'ole Health Canada!

I'm not too picky, but you'll want to keep Shift in your sights, it's a small shop, but almost entirely vegan. =)

I also publish a local newsletter: http://www.TheVictoriaVegan.com -- send me a note through the site when it's available, and i'll be sure to include a blurb.
Dave Noisy

Postby Glyde » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:23 am

Thanks Dave! I definitely will hit you up when we come to Canada! Nice to meet you.
Maura Ingraham
GLYDE vegan condoms
www.glydeamerica.com
Glyde

Postby Hiking Fox » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:30 am

GlydeMaura wrote:Most latex condoms are manufactured with the dairy derivative, casein (which acts as a binding agent), but we use a chemical derived from the thistle family instead.

OUCH!
Hiking Fox

Postby SpugFab » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:34 am

Hiking Fox wrote:
GlydeMaura wrote:Most latex condoms are manufactured with the dairy derivative, casein (which acts as a binding agent), but we use a chemical derived from the thistle family instead.

OUCH!

Ach us Scotsmen have been using thistle for years.

It heightens sensation.
SpugFab

Postby AbFab » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:45 am

spug_myers wrote:
Hiking Fox wrote:

OUCH!

It heightens sensation.
For whom???! ;-)
AbFab

Postby Glyde » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:24 pm

AbFab wrote:
spug_myers wrote:
Hiking Fox wrote:

OUCH!

It heightens sensation.
For whom???! ;-)

You folks are hilarious! I love it! LOL
Maura Ingraham
GLYDE vegan condoms
www.glydeamerica.com
Glyde

Postby Muay Jin » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:40 pm

No, hes deadly serious :shock:
There is no try, only do.
Muay Jin

Postby draco880 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:17 pm

Might want to edit the subject line a little, OP. For me it stops at 'cruelty,' which changes the meaning quite a bit.
draco880

Postby tellygonebung » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:32 am

Condomi condoms still claim they are Vegan but they don't want to pay for the Vegan Soc. logo (in an email from them) UK Vegan Society only sell the Glyde condoms now.
tellygonebung

Postby KaliBaby » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:58 pm

what about the P & P method?
Live by the sea. Love by the moon.
KaliBaby

Next

Return to Vegan Products and Supplements