Deadlift - Mixed Grip?

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby ^toby^ » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:54 am

what god, chad waterbury, said:

[quote]I also want you to use an overhand grip. That's with both hands. Yes, I know old-school deadlifters say to practice with the same grip you'd use in
competition—a mixed grip, one hand over the bar, one hand under—but I think it's important to use the non-mixed grip. You'll have more balanced strength in your shoulder girdle with both arms rotated the same direction, you'll develop more forearm strength, and you'll have less risk of a catastrophic injury, like a torn biceps.
Finally, don't use wrist wraps. Your hands and forearms need to handle the same loads as your extensor-chain muscles. (The one exception is for supramaximal loads, as I'll explain later in this section.)
'Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect Practice makes perfect' - Vince Lombardi
^toby^

Postby tempehmomma » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:47 pm

[quote="my bloody valentine"]what god, chad waterbury, said:

[quote]I also want you to use an overhand grip. That's with both hands. Yes, I know old-school deadlifters say to practice with the same grip you'd use in
competition—a mixed grip, one hand over the bar, one hand under—but I think it's important to use the non-mixed grip. You'll have more balanced strength in your shoulder girdle with both arms rotated the same direction, you'll develop more forearm strength, and you'll have less risk of a catastrophic injury, like a torn biceps.
Finally, don't use wrist wraps. Your hands and forearms need to handle the same loads as your extensor-chain muscles. (The one exception is for supramaximal loads, as I'll explain later in this section.)
Could you post the link where this quote/interview can be found?
tempehmomma

Postby ^toby^ » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:24 am

it is on the book "muscle revolution"
'Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect Practice makes perfect' - Vince Lombardi
^toby^

Postby tempehmomma » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:08 am

[quote="my bloody valentine"]it is on the book "muscle revolution"
Thanks.
tempehmomma

Postby SpugFab » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:19 am

Surely it depends on the relative strengths of the lifter and what his/her goals are?

If you can deadlift over 200kgs but could only double overhand 140kg it wouldn't be optimal to put deadlift progress on the back burner in the hope that your grip strength will catch up.

The vast majority of big deadlifts are nailed using mixed grip, I think it's the most solid. Hook grip is an option but there's a reason it's less common (pain). Jono's evangelical love of hook grip is likely due to above average hand span, meaning the stress on the thumb is less. I also don't recall seeing a 400kg+ deadlift with hook grip.
SpugFab

Postby WhoCaresWins » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:35 pm

[quote="Jonathan"]Hook grip is the way forward.

I tried this for the first time last night. Don't think I like it much - hurt my thumbs! Certainly didn't lose grip though!

WCW
'If only I knew how to disappear there would be a perfect union of love between God and the earth I tread.'
Simone Weil
http://thecounterforce.tripod.com/writing.html
WhoCaresWins

Postby xzebrasx » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:54 pm

I usually use overhand for 5x5 and mixed for maxing out.

What're the hook and double overgand grips?
xzebrasx

Postby WhoCaresWins » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:56 pm

'If only I knew how to disappear there would be a perfect union of love between God and the earth I tread.'
Simone Weil
http://thecounterforce.tripod.com/writing.html
WhoCaresWins

Postby xzebrasx » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:05 pm

Thanks, I'll give it a go tomorrow on the DL.
xzebrasx

Previous

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights