women selfdefence what are the most important things to know

Styles, training, conditioning, equipment - everything related to Martial Arts.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby SpugFab » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:47 am

Seriously though (well as serious as I get)

I'm offering up a real alternative through badminton. Keep yourself fit (so you can run away, or put up a longer fight). Know that if bad stuff happens you'll fight tooth and nail. Don't take risks when you don't need to.

Chill.

Think about how much better your life will be with a couple of fun happy sessions per week instead of your daily dose of hate. To drill these exercises until they are second nature requires time. Time spend contemplating the very worst of man.

Imagine you spend a couple of hours a few times a week meditating on the evil that men do (worse yet, attending a group where people meet to discuss the evils). About how you would fight against it. About the terrible situations you will get into.

What kind of person will you become after a few years of this?

Badminton option:

Self defense obsession:
SpugFab

Postby emm7 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:09 am

if your life is all badminton and smiles then rejoice! And long may it stay that way. :D
But, sadly, it's not been that way for all of us...... and we want to make sure that the amount of time spent in the scenario of dealing with "are YOU talking to ME?" is as minimal as possible ..... hence this thread!
emm7

Postby SpugFab » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:34 am

[quote="emm7"]if your life is all badminton and smiles then rejoice! And long may it stay that way. :D
But, sadly, it's not been that way for all of us......

I realise that emm.

But if you're coming from a negative place I think it's even more valuable to consider the mental side of what you're getting into. It's no secret that a lot of self defense obsessives are *whispers* unhinged nutters...

*looks suspiciously at Crash*
SpugFab

Postby Crash » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:27 pm

[quote="spug_myers"] It's no secret that a lot of self defense obsessives are *whispers* unhinged nutters...

*looks suspiciously at Crash*

You are just jealous because the voices speak to me. :wink: :lol: Now where is that explaining MMA to Spug thread?
Demolisher of faces and my enemies beards (no matter where they are located) since 2002.

www.PCRM.org
Click here to help homeless animals.

All truth goes through 3 stages - 1st it's ridiculed. Then it's violently opposed. Finally it's accepted as self-evident.
Crash

Postby The Duke » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:04 pm

[quote="spug_myers"] It's no secret that a lot of self defense obsessives are *whispers* unhinged nutters...

And, unfortunately, they would take that as a compliment.

"Bloke said to me the uvver week 'your an uni'nged nu'er'. Said back to him 'course I fackin am, only to survive on the fackin streets'.
Free the Guinea Pigs.
The Duke

Postby benzilla » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:14 pm

[quote="spug_myers"]
Self defense obsession:

self defence clearly wins here! What a great film....
benzilla

Postby emm7 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:42 pm

TAXI DRIVER is brilliantly written because although the De Niro character is a racist, perverse, psychopath he becomes an anti-hero, the audience are drawn into his world and into identifying with him and caring about his fate even though he is sick and twisted! This is very sophisticated writing and very difficult to achieve. Very difficult to have your protagonist as someone like the taxi driver and make it work. It's implied at the start of the film that he's a Vietnam veteran? They are building audience sympathy in early on.
Very complex character.
I'm not a big fan of violent films at all but I will make an exception for TAXI DRIVER.
emm7

Postby Gelert » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:22 pm

I like ginger nuts.

Or, if we're talking biscuits, lemon crunch cookies. From Dove Farm.

Quintessential spug here. Happy smiley people holding hands. At Badminton. I would rather slit my wrists with a rusty scalpel.

Other than that, I fairly well agree with spug. Obsess too much about this shit, and you will go a wee bit mad. And be more likely to have to use it.
Gelert

Postby The Duke » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:29 pm

[quote="Gelert"]I would rather slit my wrists with a rusty scalpel.

With all this talk of biscuits, I reckon you'd rather play The Biscuit Game.
Free the Guinea Pigs.
The Duke

Postby fredrikw » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:30 pm

[quote="Gelert"]Other than that, I fairly well agree with spug. Obsess too much about this shit, and you will go a wee bit mad. And be more likely to have to use it.

said by the person having posted nearly half of the posts if this seven page discussion :lol:
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby ninearms » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:32 pm

Not only most of the posts, but also the most detailed and alarmist ones. :lol:
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby Gelert » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:35 pm

Ah well. You can take this to VBB if you like.
Gelert

Postby Asleep on a sunbeam » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:16 pm

[quote="The Duke"][quote="Gelert"]I would rather slit my wrists with a rusty scalpel.

With all this talk of biscuits, I reckon you'd rather play The Biscuit Game.

got any of those pink waffer biscuits? I'm in! vegan cum will be like sugar sauce suprise!
Asleep on a sunbeam

Postby Asleep on a sunbeam » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:20 pm

[quote="spug_myers"]Seriously though (well as serious as I get)

I'm offering up a real alternative through badminton. Keep yourself fit (so you can run away, or put up a longer fight). Know that if bad stuff happens you'll fight tooth and nail. Don't take risks when you don't need to.

Chill.

Think about how much better your life will be with a couple of fun happy sessions per week instead of your daily dose of hate. To drill these exercises until they are second nature requires time. Time spend contemplating the very worst of man.

Imagine you spend a couple of hours a few times a week meditating on the evil that men do (worse yet, attending a group where people meet to discuss the evils). About how you would fight against it. About the terrible situations you will get into.

What kind of person will you become after a few years of this?

Badminton option:

Self defense obsession:

Not really, self defence and judo are the best active part of my life, I enjoy them a hell of a lot, I hope we've all got the type of senseis I have. You know, you break your collar bone and walk into the dojo (after being to A&E) and find one of them telling you to do press ups for not bowing, then shouting as you walk out "LOOK WHAT I CAN DO", waving his hands about like a maniac.

Martial arts are fun, you get hurt, but you laugh it off, it's great.

Badminton isn't you get pissed off and start really trying to hit the cock until you fall and manage to hit yourself in the head. Seriously, reverse those pictures!
Asleep on a sunbeam

Postby draco880 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:03 pm

Since some people asked, my favorite UCM video is SouthNarc's Practical Unarmed Combat, vol. 1. Despite the name, the vid focuses mostly on UCM stuff. It's aimed at men, so I'd be curious to know what SD-oriented women think of it. I feel it should translate pretty well, personally. I also hear a lot of good things about the Dr. Ruthless vids, which are aimed directly at women, but I haven't seen them myself.
I'd also like to note that one of my earlier posts suggested women [and everyone] find some sort of training that's fun. Self-defense isn't about being scared unless you have a shit instructor, but rather about self-improvement. In fact, I would argue one of the biggest benefits is that you become less scared in more situations. Living in fear would be excrutiating, and I think that any training that produced that should be discarded. The whole point, from my perspective, is to be able to do the things you want to do in life without being too afraid of other people physically attacking you. Sitting in your bunker with a shotgun aimed at the door therefore fails on both counts.
I also find that the people you train with, assuming a good training group, will tend to become good friends, because you put trust in them and vice versa. Whereas I've seen some pretty nasty passive aggression in pick-up badminton...

PS: Unhinged Nutters would be an awesome name for a band.
draco880

PreviousNext

Return to Martial Arts