European biking meetup 2

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

European biking meetup 2

Postby StevieP » Mon May 12, 2008 9:45 pm

I've been inspired after the fab week end some of us have just had (http://www.veganfitness.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14340)

Any one interested in a MTB and walking VF Meet in the Chilterns?

The plan, we always need a plan ....

The Chilterns (http://www.chilternsaonb.org/) is great biking because of the vast amount of single track in woods. There are no climbs as nasty as Wales, more undulating - the longest climbs will be 20 mins. In the summer the trails are rock hard, fast and mildly technical at speed.

We can accommodate up to about 20+ in varying degrees of luxury at our house (and garden). So accommodation costs: 0. Over spill may be possible at USW's if he's on for it and available.

Bring and share breakfast.

We would bike from our house, but walkers may want to have a car available to get them to the better parts and to be able to meet up at the food stops.

Local bike hire is £15 (Kona hard tails) + my ultra light full susser would be available to some lucky person - I'll be riding single speed hard tail - its not Wales!

Ride would start 10amish on Sat (people could arrive on Friday), route would be all day (40m?) taking in two 2 vegan friendly pubs, one for lunch and the other for evening meal including: http://www.t3v.veggroup.org/locations/1192.html & I can improve the menus with a large group. So food costs for Sat £15-20.

Sunday's ride would depend on people's timmings.

Reading has a major train station and has a shuttle service to Heathrow airport. Pickup from train station available.

This would work well for us in 1st/2nd week of September 2008. Child care is our only issue.

If we have enough interest I'll get the ball in motion
StevieP

Postby bob_summers » Mon May 12, 2008 9:52 pm

sounds awesome.. £0 digs and a local guide! but we'll have hopefully moved to spain (me + emmacore) by then, so we're out :(
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Mon May 12, 2008 10:11 pm

I will be there, if its late September, or early October. That date is about three weeks too early for me.

Sorry to be a pain ! :lol:
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby fredrikw » Mon May 12, 2008 10:13 pm

sounds like an excellent initiative, good to organise smaller events as well without the overhead of tricky accomodation and the hassle with far away visitors :)

september is the end of my racing season, so I won't be able to make it. and I prefer hills, lots of them :)
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby SpugFab » Mon May 12, 2008 10:25 pm

Sounds like a good idea Steve.

"Cycling Meetup 2 - Spug vs the Wolf"

This time it is personal.

Things have been said.
SpugFab

Postby AbFab » Mon May 12, 2008 10:52 pm

Sounds FAB! I am a definite maybe. The gentler ride sounds more pleasureable than the hardcore hills too!
AbFab

Postby VeganGraham » Mon May 12, 2008 11:41 pm

Count me in.
I'm not going to miss a chance to push Spug in to the brambles again.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby stateofflux » Tue May 13, 2008 8:59 am

JP and I are up for this, as walkers :D
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby StevieP » Tue May 13, 2008 9:33 am

I'll start quizing grandparents about kiddy sitting dates - that will give us some dates to choose from.
StevieP

Postby ultra_whippet » Tue May 13, 2008 4:52 pm

You can definitely count me in. I can accomodate a few people at my place if necessary.
ultra_whippet

Postby emmacore » Tue May 13, 2008 5:11 pm

I'm sad to miss out on this. I hope there will be photos!

And the real competition is BGW beating his previous best of one tub of swedish glace :lol:
emmacore

Postby benzilla » Tue May 13, 2008 8:54 pm

I'm definitely keen for this! Sounds excellent with the local knowledge and more great food!
benzilla

Postby VeganGraham » Tue May 13, 2008 11:03 pm

[quote="emmacore"]And the real competition is BGW beating his previous best of one tub of swedish glace :lol:

Don't forget the two bananas sliced in to it as well. :D
I'd better start training now. By September I should be popping the lids off and downing them in one go, Popeye style. 8)
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby aardvarkboy » Wed May 14, 2008 11:07 am

Yes, definitely! I live in Reading and ride all the time in the Chilterns, though always on road so don't no any mtb routes! It's great for hiking too, I love the Chilterns, I'll definitely join you lot. :D
aardvarkboy

Postby Sophie » Thu May 15, 2008 10:22 am

This one's really convenient for me - it's at my house! So I'm in! Lots of bathrooms so no worries about being surrounded by stinky sweaty bikers - ritual showering a possibility!

There's a great local curry house too.....

Could well be weekend of 20th or 27th Sept, depending on how we get babysitting sorted, so would that make any difference for those of you who find earlier in the month difficult?

And for any of you in the area any other time - pm us if you want to go for a ride. Also we've got a yummy vegan Indian feast for the local veggie group coming up this Sunday, including coconut kulfi and tofu xacuti. See: http://www.t3v.veggroup.org/events/935.html
- open to anyone who books.
Sophie

Next

Return to Cycling Forum