Is Kolois vegan, any greek speaking vegans who can translate

New vegan products out there? Queries about products, ingredients, vegan supplements?

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Is Kolois vegan, any greek speaking vegans who can translate

Postby ^toby^ » Sat May 10, 2008 8:13 am

Ok, so it wasn't minchol that others vegan were talking about. It's called Kolios, the woman at the deli said it is greek fasting cheese and doesn't contain any dairy and it made from soy.

The website has english translations but they don't seem very accurate and using online translators don't seem to work either. Can anyone read the greek versions and tell me if it vegan:

I think this is the one:

http://www.kolios.gr/product_details.as ... =4&lang=gr

Thanks!
'Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect Practice makes perfect' - Vince Lombardi
^toby^

Postby xbojanx » Sat May 10, 2008 11:58 am

Here in Serbia we have a lot of these so called vegetable cheese, but all of them contain casein, although they are advertised as 100% vegetable / maybe they extract casein from coconut :twisted:
They just replace milk fat with plant fat..that's it.

P.S.
Why do you think their English page is not accurate?
xbojanx

Postby ^toby^ » Tue May 13, 2008 9:24 am

I found this

http://www.vegan.nu/forum/?topic=6628&c=0

but can't read the first part and not sure what language it is
'Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect Practice makes perfect' - Vince Lombardi
^toby^

Postby bronco » Tue May 13, 2008 9:42 am

my bloody valentine wrote:I found this

http://www.vegan.nu/forum/?topic=6628&c=0

but can't read the first part and not sure what language it is

It is in swedish ;) . Nothing that could be of help to you Im afraid.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby mangomagic » Tue May 13, 2008 11:12 am

It's a Greek fasting cheese for their lent.

Greek Orthodox Lent is a time of fasting, which means abstaining from foods that contain animals with red blood (meats, poultry, game) and products from animals with red blood (milk, cheese, eggs, etc.), and fish and seafood with backbones. (from here- http://greekfood.about.com/od/festivals ... atlent.htm)

which makes me thinks that it is vegan. The label at the market does say vegan too, and I've heard a few other vegans talk about it too.

Maybe I'll email them.
mangomagic

Postby Zoi » Tue May 13, 2008 11:31 am

I am sorry, but it does not say that it is vegan cheece.

It says that it is low cholesterol cheece, it has vegetable fat, but it is made of milk.

I ran through the whole site and it does not say anywhere that it is made of soy, neither in Greek nor in English.

If I have another information I will post it as soon as I can. I will have to ask in my Greek vegan forum just to be on the safe side.
Zoi

Postby ^toby^ » Tue May 13, 2008 11:54 am

Zoi wrote:I am sorry, but it does not say that it is vegan cheece.

It says that it is low cholesterol cheece, it has vegetable fat, but it is made of milk.

I ran through the whole site and it does not say anywhere that it is made of soy, neither in Greek nor in English.

If I have another information I will post it as soon as I can. I will have to ask in my Greek vegan forum just to be on the safe side.

Thanks!

I'm not sure if the link I posted at the beginning is the correct one. On the label it says Kolios- Nistisimo

Lots of Melbourne Vegans are eating it at the moment :-)
^toby^

Kolios cheese

Postby Zoi » Tue May 13, 2008 6:29 pm

Sorry again!! :oops:

It seems that the particular cheese (nistisimo) is actualy vegan, that is, it is not made of milk.
But it is mainly for export abroad and in Greece you can only buy it during the Greek Orthodox fasting period. That is why I could not find anything in their site. :roll:

So I guess it is safe to say that it is vegan.

I will come back if I get any new info about it.
Zoi

Postby ^toby^ » Thu May 15, 2008 12:22 pm

don't have to apologise, that's great news!

Just tried it, it's yummy!

Off to try the fetta version now.
^toby^

Postby fredrikw » Thu May 15, 2008 6:03 pm

hmm, there was a greek cheese circulating here in Stockholm some time ago, and we all thought it was vegan and we ate loads of it, until they suddenly introduced casein in the ingredient list, probably was in there all along :(

I have no idea if this is the same, I know it's a bit ignorant to assume there is just one greek cheese, but just a word of warning, might be good to check with the manufacturer directly. even if it doesn't contain 'milk' as an ingredient it might still not be vegan.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby xbojanx » Thu May 15, 2008 7:56 pm

fredrikw wrote:hmm, there was a greek cheese circulating here in Stockholm some time ago, and we all thought it was vegan and we ate loads of it, until they suddenly introduced casein in the ingredient list, probably was in there all along :(

I have no idea if this is the same, I know it's a bit ignorant to assume there is just one Greek cheese, but just a word of warning, might be good to check with the manufacturer directly. even if it doesn't contain 'milk' as an ingredient it might still not be vegan.

Like I said, there are many sorts of Greek cheese here in Serbia, many of them being "LENT" ("Posno" in Serbian) - main target group are orthodox christians who follow these rules of lent...Anyway, all of them have casein and like Fredrik says, for some of them, when they appeared, there was only plant fat, water and salt on declaration, but later they got more ingredients :roll: as our rules for marking food became a little bit more strict (closer to those of EU)...so, I still think it is a risk
xbojanx

Postby ^toby^ » Mon May 19, 2008 9:21 am

It doesn't melt properly or make my stomach upset like cheese with small amounts of dairy does.
^toby^

Postby aliquis » Wed May 28, 2008 1:15 am

my bloody valentine wrote:I'm not sure if the link I posted at the beginning is the correct one. On the label it says Kolios- Nistisimo

Lots of Melbourne Vegans are eating it at the moment :-)
Yeah, the one on vegan.nu was said to be made of corn and I found it in some blog claiming it was vegan to. The one you link to was called vital and not nistisimo so probably not the same one.
aliquis

Postby xbojanx » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:20 pm

Just got back from Greece ;)
well, all Kolios cheese contain at least sodium caseinat, so I guess that they are not vegan...Vital one is certainly not, as it is from skimmed cow's milk, but with vegetable fat...there is one called Fast nistisima or something like that, which has soy protein etc, but like I said, it has some caseinat in it.

VITAL “yellow“ is a cholesterol free product, a perfect choice for a conscious nutrition. It is produced by skimmed cow’s milk, contains milk proteins of high nutritional value and is enriched with vegetable fat. Enjoy its delightful mild taste in various sandwiches or melted in toasts.
xbojanx

Postby mangomagic » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:11 am

perhaps a greek speaking person could email kolios and ask for confirmation???
mangomagic

Next

Return to Vegan Products and Supplements