Is L-Glutamine Vegan?

New vegan products out there? Queries about products, ingredients, vegan supplements?

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Is L-Glutamine Vegan?

Postby davidahenry » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:14 pm

I have been vegan for several years now and am beginning to make my own powdered cycling drinks. For my recovery drink, I use soy protein as opposed to the commonly used whey. I plan to use L-Glutamine as well, but I am concerned that it may not be vegan? Can anyone please shed any light on this issue? Is L-Glutamine vegan? Or does it depend on the type/brand of L-Glutamine?

Thanks.

David Henry
davidahenry

Postby ultra_whippet » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:34 pm

Both the brands of L-Glutamine that I've bought are vegan (myprotein and Holland & Barrett, I think)
ultra_whippet

Postby The Duke » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:41 pm

This will take you to vegan glutamine ...

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/mp-max/suppl ... lutamine_/
Free the Guinea Pigs.
The Duke

L-G

Postby Robbie » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:24 pm

Robbie

Postby vegangurl23 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:25 am

what do you think is more beneficial though for a woman? glutamine or creatine? i know they are different, but if my goal was to gain muscle wait while maintaining a low body fat percentage... which would you recommend?
"even though there is no such thing as perfect, there is nothing wrong with trying to achieve it"
vegangurl23

Postby xJimx » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:31 am

I could be speaking out of my backside here, but I believe that soya is naturally high in glutamine, hence I've never bothered supplementing with it due to the high level of soya in my diet.

I've had good gains in strength & size with creatine (both mono & CEE), but my bodyfat is quite high so it may not be what you're after.
DYEL
xJimx

Postby vegangurl23 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:44 am

xJimx wrote:I could be speaking out of my backside here, but I believe that soya is naturally high in glutamine, hence I've never bothered supplementing with it due to the high level of soya in my diet.

I've had good gains in strength & size with creatine (both mono & CEE), but my bodyfat is quite high so it may not be what you're after.

oh ok. i normally drink a lot of soy milk/ eat a lot of soybeans... so i should be ok on that. as far as the CE2 that i'm taking... i actually like it although it felt stronger when i was first taking it hehehe... but i am seeing results already and its been a couple weeks. so we'll see. my body fat percentage is (i think) about 18%-20%... but i haven't checked in a while.
"even though there is no such thing as perfect, there is nothing wrong with trying to achieve it"
vegangurl23

Postby fatalman » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:07 am

garlic, and i believe broccoli, are both naturally high in l-glut (i do believe)
i am nobody. this is my signature. it is nothing.
fatalman

Postby aliquis » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:26 am

vegangurl23 wrote:what do you think is more beneficial though for a woman? glutamine or creatine? i know they are different, but if my goal was to gain muscle wait while maintaining a low body fat percentage... which would you recommend?
Creatine since it actually work. Glutamine probably doesn't do shit for muscle growth for exercising healthy people.
aliquis

Postby aliquis » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:27 am

fatalman wrote:garlic, and i believe broccoli, are both naturally high in l-glut (i do believe)
But not high in protein and it's not very likely that you get say 10 gram of glutamine from them... Also many amino acids do their special thing best when taken with a fast uptake and on their own in an empty stomach.

In any case it will probably be vegan yes.
aliquis

Postby veggieprincess » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:48 am

aliquis wrote:
vegangurl23 wrote:what do you think is more beneficial though for a woman? glutamine or creatine? i know they are different, but if my goal was to gain muscle wait while maintaining a low body fat percentage... which would you recommend?
Creatine since it actually work. Glutamine probably doesn't do shit for muscle growth for exercising healthy people.

There have been new studies done that have shown that glutamine can aid in fat loss. But I eat very low carb so I my Dietitian/Trainer didn't tell me if the study applied to those on low carb diets or not. But he has been putting bodybuilders and figure competitors on stage for 8 years, so I trust what he says and he's never steered me wrong.

As far as creatine... its good stuff but you should be aware of the bloat factor. It makes you retain water... but nonetheless, a good supplement.
veggieprincess

Postby sonic » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:59 pm

aliquis wrote:

Both Glutamine and Creatine play an essential role in muscle repair.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamine
sonic

Postby aliquis » Tue May 27, 2008 5:18 pm

sonic wrote:
aliquis wrote:

Both Glutamine and Creatine play an essential role in muscle repair.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamine
1) How good are wikipedia as a source than anyone can edit the page and do whatever claim? you will ofcourse read good stuff about arginine, taurine, carnitine and so on aswell, the question is if it will make a difference for your workouts.
2) I didn't found the part about muscle repair, but I just skimmed thru it since I've read a lot about glutamine earlier anyway and the source sucked anyhow.

Unless you can point me to a place which indicates and proves that peoples results form weight lifting have improved with glutamine my claim still holds.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodybuildi ... #Glutamine linked to two studies, but you don't have to read them, just read that the last sentence says.
aliquis

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Tue May 27, 2008 8:17 pm

I use Glutamine, because its appears to support the immune system, and reduce the occurrence of chest infections, which endurance athletes tend to be vulnerable to. I haven't had a cold for three years, but that may just be coincidence. Who knows ?
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby remez » Tue May 27, 2008 9:15 pm

Haven't you all read that glutamine doesn't have any affect if taken orally?
It only haves positive effects in medical treatment if taken through injection.
remez

Next

Return to Vegan Products and Supplements