A 'Vegan Hikers' group?

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

A 'Vegan Hikers' group?

Postby Hiking Fox » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:40 pm

I'm going to set up a vegan hiking club, cos I'm not aware of one existing at present. This is following an experience in which a local hiking group that I'd joined completely failed to respect my veganism, and insisted on putting milk in everything.

I'd really like to go on weekends away with a group sometimes, hiring a camping barn and either sharing a vegan meal or planning the trip around a nearby pub that does proper vegan options. Rather than being the awkward, odd one out.

My thoughts so far are that members could pay a small fee (according to income) which covers any admin costs, then get a newsletter (on paper or by email) which has news and views, proposed weekend trips, gear swaps, reviews of B and Bs, gear, cafes, pubs etc.

It could all be pretty informal, and members could sign a disclaimer to say that they are going walking at their own risk.

Any thoughts from anyone?
Hiking Fox

Postby cathbetty » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:19 pm

Sounds like a good idea, and I would be interested in joining/ helping you out if you ever did set up such a club :)
I love walking in the mountains and rambling about in the countryside, we have some lovely moors near where i live where you can lose youself for a day...
cathbetty

Postby GrahamC » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:17 pm

I'd be up for that. Dark Peak would be good. So would Dartmoor for that matter... :D
GrahamC

Postby Hiking Fox » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:41 pm

Hi both of you.

I've set up a Wiki, to get this project started. The URL is now in my signature. Please join it (free and confidential) and post a couple of lines about where you like walking, etc.

After January I'll be less busy, and can set about actively promoting the project.
Hiking Fox

Postby SpugFab » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:48 pm

Site looks good Fox, I've signed up.

Made a new year resolution to get out in the hills more often (had a wander in the Ochils on Jan the 2nd, hopefully that won't be it for the year...)
SpugFab

Postby Hiking Fox » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:10 pm

Hi Spug.

I'm going to be actively promoting it at the NW Vegan Fest. Once we've got a 'critical mass' of members, people can start organising weekends away etc.

Do people think a mailing list with a proper 'old school' newsletter is a good idea, or to just stick to digital? I know some people really prefer to get a mailing through the post, and some people hate computers or can't afford one, so it would be more inclusive. It would cost money though.
Hiking Fox

Postby ChrisJ » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:46 pm

I'm pretty busy at weekends until September this year, but long-term I'm def interested. I love hill-walking.
Something profound.
ChrisJ

Postby chloe » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:04 pm

yeah id be interested i think, depending on the various hikes, im no profi but i would like to get out about when possible.
Whats the deal with hiking with dogs in Britain??
chloe

Postby Heather30 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:13 pm

Hi I would love to join a hiking group at weekends - hopefully it'll be a good summer it would be great to be out in the fresh air and sunshine
When/where do you think the first one will be?
Heather30

Postby Hiking Fox » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:40 pm

[quote="chloe"]Whats the deal with hiking with dogs in Britain??

You can take dogs pretty much everywhere, but there are areas which have signs saying 'please keep dogs on a lead' - these are either environmentally sensitive sites (eg. with lots of ground nesting birds), livestock feilds, or very steep cliffs.
Hiking Fox

Postby Hiking Fox » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:45 pm

Re. website, I set up a website called vegan hiking club on Wetpaint, but it was a bit quiet, and I took it out of my sig on here because adverts had suddenly appeared on it. I'm trying to work out how to get rid of them.
Hiking Fox

Postby Hiking Fox » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:47 pm

[quote="Heather30"]
When/where do you think the first one will be?

Depends on where people want to walk and where they can get to easily - no point in me steamrollering in with a suggestion for the Cairngorms if most people want to have less than 3 hours travel!

I'd say Peak District, Yorkshire or Lake District would be good bets.
Hiking Fox

Postby bob_summers » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:10 pm

love the idea of this and would like to get involved - although this will be a very busy summer for me (and my last in blighty for a couple of years at least) - the few hiking weekends i'm doing this year will be taken up by duke of edinburgh expeditions.

if you go to the peaks, there's a nice staffed YH at castleton with vegan food available in the YH canteen or the village pubs. we were there a couple of weeks ago, doing the kinder scout thing in the snow :)
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby Heather30 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:10 pm

Yorkshire area would be great as that's near where I live. Scotland and lake district would be lovely during the summer as well.
Heather30

Awesome!

Postby spacekadet » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:41 am

Yay! I live in London but I LOVE getting out into the country (I'd like to live in the country - any tips on THAT?). I've only lived in the UK a couple years and have so much to explore. Looking forward to the first meet-up. =)
spacekadet

Next

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness