Neil Lea

Forum to discuss and advertise vegan, animal, human, environmental and other vegan related events and campaigns.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Neil Lea

Postby Konstantin » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:22 pm

Edit: See the posts below.
Neil has now died.
Neil is a long term very committed animal rights campaigner who has fought serious illness for decades. He's a man of exceptional strength of character but unfortunately the illnesses he suffers from are very serious.

If you don't know him and don't know what to say, just a card would be appreciated.

As some of you already know, Neil Lea is back in hospital in a very serious condition. He has picked up a bit this week because of all the visitors he's been getting although is still very weak and dehydrated. The doctors have managed to get a drip back in (which has been a problem as they've had difficulty finding a vein they can get a needle into) so at least he's now getting fluids, but the operation to get a tube into his stomach to feed him didn't work yesterday.

You can send cards to Neil at:
Neil Lea
Ward 8
Princess Royal Hospital
Grainger Drive
Apley Castle
Telford
TF1 6TF

His partner Mary is there all the time and will show Neil the cards and read them to him. If anyone wants to visit its best to ring Mary first. She said people can ring her on the phone that is in Neil's hospital room although its v expensive (around 40p per minute) - 0708 136 6536.

Please pass this message around to anyone who knows Neil (which is pretty much everyone!)
Last edited by Konstantin on Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby Hiking Fox » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:32 pm

Aw shit that's really sad :cry: Had no idea he'd taken a turn for the worse.

I'll circulate...
Hiking Fox

Postby alit » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:09 pm

I had been wondering how Neil was as not heard from Mary for ages, since well before they moved. Really sorry to hear Neil is not well and back in hospital, he is a fighter I really hope he improves soon.

Off on holiday but will try to get in touch, will let others know.
alit

Neil Lea

Postby Coral » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:55 pm

Neil died this evening, I heard
Coral

Re: Neil Lea

Postby GenTDuke » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:45 pm

[quote="Coral"]Neil died this evening, I heard

RIP, I havnt spoke to Mary fo some time, but I am sorry for her.
GenTDuke

Postby ironman d » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:51 pm

RIP Neil.
ironman d

Postby Hiking Fox » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:52 am

That's really sad - I'd known the grumpy bugger all my adult life, but hadn't seen him for ages. His ideas about campaigning were amazing, such as starting ARCnews and getting all the local animal rights groups to network and support each other, and coming up with the idea of free events where people can try all sortsd of vegan food.

We should put on as many free vegan food fairs as we can in his honour. There was talk of doing one in Manchester like the one he and Mary ran a few years back. (I'll start a thread about it...)

RIP Neil
Hiking Fox

Postby FatPunkChris » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:09 am

Tragic, Neil as with all of our fallen comrades did so much for the animals I was lucky enough to meet Neil and Mary at the vegan buddies stall in Bristol years ago, they are such wonderful people. Neil is a testament of how a REAL activist should be, he did everything he could for animals even as his health deteriorated he never made excuses he just found new ways to help animals by getting people to go vegan via the web with their sites.

The fight is over for Neil now, but we have a long hard struggle ahead of us and you should ask yourself, what more can you do? Are you doing everything you can? Don't just remember our fallen activists, honour them by doing whatever it takes to stop exploitation of our planet and its inhabitants.

RIP Neil - the pain is over,

My deepest condolences to Mary and their friends and family.

Chris
Back after 3 years of competitive eating.
FatPunkChris

Postby bronco » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:40 am

RIP
[quote="JP"]Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby Konstantin » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:21 am

I just wrote the following before I logged on. If you knew him, you'll know what an incedible man he really was. If you didn't, he was an inspiration.

Neil worked constantly throughout a series of really severe illnesses. He started ARC News, a newsletter in the UK to co-ordinate animal rights activity, and was instrumental in ensuring co-operation in the animal rights movements.

Neil spent a lot of time with the Consort kennels campaign, which soon closed the breeder of beagles for labs. 170 beagles were released, one of whom still lives with me. He was also involved in the campaign against Hillgrove, breeders of cats for experiments. On one occasion he was the victim of police harassment when he was arrested on the way to a demo for carrying ‘suspicious’ equipment clearly marked ‘dialysis equipment’. Despite carrying ID showing he had failed kidneys and needed dialysis, he was arrested and his equipment confiscated. Despite this extremely stupid police action, Neil was soon back and played his part in closing Hillgrove.

When Newchurch was raided and 600 guinea pigs were taken away from the lab breeders, Neil started the campaign which would eventually close them.

As the internet involved he stopped doing ARC News as a paper publication and expanded the website. He also developed several websites devoted to animal rights and veganism. He was passionate about veganism and the sites reflected his practical, no nonsense approach to education and information, and the sites are still first-stop sites for new vegans or those wanting to find about about veganism and vegan products.

Neil was a man of extremely strong character who everyone could learn from. He fought his terrible illnesses at every stage, and never forgot those who he considered to be in a worse position than himself.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby Hiking Fox » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:18 pm

A tribute page has been set up, at: http://www.veggies.org.uk/page.php?ref=1107

Apparently there will be a 'send off' in a coupla weeks.
Hiking Fox

Postby alit » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:07 pm

Very sad news this. I first met Mary, Neil and Seamus at the Birmingham vegan fair just over 2 years ago and a week later with lots of advice and support from them I went vegan - I do credit Mary and Neil for giving me the final push I needed to go vegan.

My thoughts are with Mary and Seamus.

Neil was a wonderful person he did so much to help the animals and to promote the cause/veganism.

Alison
alit

Postby JP » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:00 pm

awful news!!!!

heart goes out to Mary and S.

rip.
JP
Site Admin

Postby stateofflux » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:14 pm

RIP
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby Frostfire » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:23 pm

Aw, how tragic. Thanks for posting the link to the tribute page HF. My thoughts go out to Mary and Seamus as well.
http://www.ChingSanctuary.org
Frostfire

Next

Return to Vegan activism and events