Simple tasty chocolate cake

Share your tasty and/or healthy recipes here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Simple tasty chocolate cake

Postby spike » Sun May 20, 2007 9:27 pm

From the Misty's cookbook. (Misty's was a veggie cafe in Longsight, Manchester which closed recently after over ten years)

CHOCOLATE CAKE

Misty's Chocolate Cake has become a firm favourite with many people, as a result of its moist texture and strong flavour. It has been requested for many special occasions, including weddings and birthdays. It is very easy to make and looks wonderful.

This recipe is for a 7 inch tin, but for a bigger cake in a bigger tin just double the quantities.

Preparation time : 10 minutes

Cooking time : 40 minutes

Ingredients

160 g wholemeal flour

100 g demerara sugar

2 tbsp cocoa powder

3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda

pinch of salt

75 ml vegetable oil

150 ml soya milk or water

1/2 tsp vanilla essence

2 tbsp cider vinegar

• Grease cake tin and line the base with greaseproof paper

• Set oven to 170 c or gas mk 4

• Mix together dry ingredients

• Mix together wet ingredients

• Gradually add wet ingredients to dry ingredients stirring gently so that they mix completely, but do not beat the mixture.

• Pour the mixture into cake tin.

• Bake in oven for 40 minutes.

• Leave to cool in the tin for at least an hour before turning out.

This cake looks very attractive iced in the following way. This makes enough icing for several cakes and will keep in the fridge for a long time.

Icing Ingredients:

50 g margarine

125 g demerara sugar

1 tbsp cocoa powder

1 tbsp soya milk

1/2 tsp vanilla essence

• Mix together all except Vanilla

• Heat gently stirring constantly

• When everything has melted keep heating for 1 minute stirring constantly

• Take off heat and leave to cool.

• Add vanilla when cool and spread over the cake

• Finish off by sprinkling with chopped mixed nuts, flaked almonds, dessicated coconut or similar.

This cake keeps very well in a good cake tin, and also freezes excellently, so think about making more than one if you are not going to eat it soon. On the other hand let your friends know that you are baking and you'll soon find it disappears!
spike

Postby Lovliebutterfly » Fri May 25, 2007 5:44 pm

I've just made this cake. I'm eating it now, all by myself! This is the most satisfying chocolate cake I've ever eaten!
One of my worries as a new vegan was to make nice chocolate cakes without eggs as I would always make cakes for my friends etc. But now, I must say, this is fantastic! And how good is that glazing!

I used melted soya spread instead of the vegetable oil and soft brown sugar instead of demerara.

Thanks so much for that recipe! It's even better than egg-based cakes! There's no egg after-odours whatsoever!

Simply wonderful! :D I'll bake one for my colleagues!
Lovliebutterfly

Return to Vegan Recipes