Favourite fighter, favourite fight?

Styles, training, conditioning, equipment - everything related to Martial Arts.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby SpugFab » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:22 pm

As a move away from blood and knockouts - check out the Sakuraba-Newton match in Pride. Used to be on dailymotion but I had a quick look and couldn't see it.

It's a technical grappling match, really fun to watch.
SpugFab

Postby skinnydog » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:04 pm

Hi just joined thread...

Ward and Gatti first fight- so far. I've yet to see the other two.

After seeing Gatti get up again after a point where the ref really should've stopped it...what can i say? The man's a machine!!

And Ward, is his head made of rock or something? Those hits were hard and he proper took them!
skinnydog

Postby tempehmomma » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:22 pm

[quote="No other way"]i love the cro cop bob sapp fight. cro cop breaks bob sapps orbital bone.
Cro Cop vs Bob Sapp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWx5Y_-sh-U
tempehmomma

Postby SpugFab » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:48 pm

[quote="skinnydog"]After seeing Gatti get up again after a point where the ref really should've stopped it...what can i say? The man's a machine!!

He's absolutely amazing.

Once you've seen the Ward trilogy there's his battles with Ivan Robinson to check out. Robinson is a really classy boxer, full of speed and combos. His fights with Gatti are classics.

Then there's his title fight with Wilson Rodriguez - Gatti is in real trouble with eye damage, looks like he has nothing left...

Gatti - Ruelas is a must-see too. The man's a highlight machine :D

[quote="skinnydog"]And Ward, is his head made of rock or something? Those hits were hard and he proper took them!

I've not seen as much from Ward as I have from Gatti, but he has a great fight against Emanuel Burton. If you see that one available for download or from a video collector it's well worth checking out.

Had a quick look on youtube and some other sites for highlights of these fights but didn't find anything great. I'll have another look later. In fact the only Gatti win I could find in full was when he ko'd Joey Gamache. Not a pleasant story that one though because it shows up a bit of the shadier side of boxing. There was a bit of fuss at the weigh in:

http://www.boxing-monthly.co.uk/content/0008/two.htm

[quote]First let's pull on a rubber suit and wade through the sewer that is New York boxing. The Gatti-Gamache controversy could not have come at a worse time for Russo and his acolytes as the New York Post was already planning a damning three-part series of articles on corruption within the Commission. Specifically, the Post was critical of Russo and Governor Pataki, rightly demanding to know why New York needed over 70 boxing commissioners when Nevada, the world fight capital, gets by with only a fraction of that number.

Mike Katz, the respected New York boxing writer who has long campaigned for reform within the Commission, and his employers, House of Boxing.com, found themselves at the heart of the growing row.

The website often features "realtime" footage (TV pictures over the web) of major weigh-ins and their camera was present during the Gatti-Gamache weigh-in. The images captured were described by Katz. He wrote: "The House tape shows the scales's lever moved to the top, indicating Gatti was overweight, and did not budge. It shows Johnny Bos, Gamache's agent, rushing Tony Russo to argue and getting told: "Don't kick up a fuss."

House of Boxing has made the tape available to Gamache's lawyers, the New York District Attorney's office and the FBI.

Bos has since been quoted as saying that he thought Gatti was four pounds or more over the limit, but fully expected him to make the weight on a second attempt after the traditional hour or so of running or skipping. He said he was shocked when he realised that Russo was not ordering Gatti to make any such second attempt. While it is true that officials sometimes forgive the odd ounce or so, there can be no justification for allowing a lighter-weight fighter a latitude of four pounds and Russo knew it.
SpugFab

Postby puppydog » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:18 pm

Ricky 'the Dragon' Steamboat versus Macho Man Randy Savage.
You mean that wasn't real??????

What's funny is that even though I am somewhat of a boxing fan, I didn't even consider boxing until I read some of the posts here.

For boxing I was always a fan of Hector Macho Camacho. Mike Tysons pre- cannibal days were pretty amazing for sheer knockout power and entertainment value.

I enjoyed Bernard Hopkins back when he had 'golden palace' written on his back, and I'm a fan of the 'boring' Lennox Lewis.

MMA-wise I'm becoming a fan of Clay the Carpenter Guida, but from the old school days I was just a fan of the old-style UFC's: no weight divisions and fighters fighting 3 fights in a night to win.

Oh, and Butterbean.
Arf! Arf! Grrrr! Arf!
puppydog

Postby SpugFab » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:31 am

Hey Omar

Camacho was a fun fighter - I used to have lots of VHS tapes of 80s boxing (a guy at my gym loaned them to me) and he was always good to watch. They say he retreated into his shell a bit after a fight with Edwin Rosario where he was close to being knocked out but I don't remember seeing that fight. I'll probably remember him best for coming into the ring dressed as a Roman soldier and knocking out Sugar Ray Leonard :P

Being a big Duran and Hagler fan I used to enjoy seeing Sugar Ray lose, although he was a hell of a fighter. The first fight with Hearns is outstanding - how he copes with Hearns on that form I'll never know. Hearns is so quick, so powerful, so tall - then Leonard slowly figures him out and makes a fight out of it.

I remember getting excited when Hopkins fought on the undercard of Bowe-Holyfield II. A chance to see the man live. Sadly on that night he ran into a fighter by the name of Roy Jones Jnr and was comprehensively outpointed. Then fan man jumped into the ring during the main event :shock:

I was at Guida's fight against Tyson Griffin earlier this year - he's such a fun guy to watch you can't help rooting for him. That was a really close fight, easily fight of the night.

And Butterbean? I think he's no joke - he came over to the UK for a fight and knocked out a top ten rated heavyweight over here. Decent hand speed and power, but obviously his size and footwork would prevent him doing anything notable in the boxing world. I've heard he's getting better at mma now (someone told me he submitted an opponent recently?).

His fight with Genki Sudo is pretty funny though:

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/genki+sudo/video/x2ds4f_genki-sudo-vs-butterbean-full-versi_extreme
SpugFab

Postby skinnydog » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:38 pm

I may have to add this one to my favorate fights list... women can do it in 1901 in dresses. Puts us short wearers to shame!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcE6fTO7pqA

Hey Spug... shall I PM you to sort out the ward/gatti tril i want from you?? Thanks for all the other refs, will definatly check them out! There's just not enough hours in the day to catch up on decades of fights!!
skinnydog

Postby SpugFab » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:53 pm

Lol - maybe I need to have a good trawl through youtube and see what fights are up on there. We could put together a recommended list.

I've sent you a PM - the gatti-ward fights must be watched :D
SpugFab

Postby SpugFab » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:28 pm

Eastside Boxing (one of the better boxing sites out there) have stolen our idea for listing great punches.

Here's an article on the uppercut:
http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=12446&more=1

big right hands:
http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=12435&more=1

the left hook:
http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=12428&more=1

Some votes of my own:
Right hand - I'd probably have to agree with the Hearns knockout of Duran. A stunning shot, you can hear the "pop" as it connects on Duran's chin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmKp4OvJRRA
"A grin from Duran like he LOVES being hit"

Uppercut - Struggling to think of uppercuts, but George Foreman lifting Joe Frazier off his feet in their first fight comes to mind
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfr5MXl8llI
"Down goes Frazier! Down goes Frazier!"

Left Hook - Don Curry knocks out Milton McCrory in a unification Welterweight bout, both come into the fight unbeaten. The Cobra at his best (although Milt the Stilt did beat the count, maybe the hook should lose some points for that).
Not the full fight, just the ko:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh477BpDH6U
SpugFab

Postby hoffmeister » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:05 am

I watched the first of Ward and Gatti the other day. Probably one of the best fights I've seen. I am really impressed by the way the hide their tiredness also. After two rounds I am breathing with the sound of a thundestorm.

By the way, yesterday it was the first good professional boxing event in Sweden for like 40 yers (it was prohibited until last year). And Isam Ice Khalil looked really promising, he had his hands by his knees all the fight and hardly got hit at all. Gotta love that kind of boxers.
this is Sparta
hoffmeister
Reluctant Moderator

Postby skinnydog » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:12 am

[quote]And Isam Ice Khalil looked really promising, he had his hands by his knees all the fight and hardly got hit at all. Gotta love that kind of boxers.

yeah if someone did that to me i'd be worried. You've gotta be good if your corner guys and coaches aren't screaming their heads off at you to keep your guard up. I won't try to aim for that style myself though :wink:
skinnydog

Postby hoffmeister » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:31 am

He actually said that some trainers tried to make him put his hands up, but when he did he always got beaten up. I also get nervous when I sparr against that style. It feels like they are up to something dangerous...
this is Sparta
hoffmeister
Reluctant Moderator

Postby Muay Jin » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:04 am

Another of my favourite fighters is Ramon Dekkers in Muay Thai style, here are some highlights: absolute machine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3R4xtjl5b4
There is no try, only do.
Muay Jin

Postby SpugFab » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:03 pm

[quote="hoffmeister"]I also get nervous when I sparr against that style. It feels like they are up to something dangerous...

Just to help you get over your fears...

Here's one of the champions of the hands-down style, Herol "The Bomber" Graham, fighting Julian "The Hawk" Jackson for the world middleweight title. We join it in round 4, Herol is on the verge of the stoppage and is comprehensively outboxing Jackson (who is suffering eye damage):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL86dJEXkLI

I quite liked Herol - he was one of the first of the Wincobank Gym (Sheffield) to come to the public's attention - later products include Naseem Hamed and Johnny Nelson. He was a bit unlucky in title shots, including a late stoppage against Charles Brewer when he was well on top.

I also tried to find some footage of Kirkland Laing who had the most bizarre style you've ever seen. It brought him some success, including a win over Duran (!), but my abiding memory is of him outboxing american journeyman Buck Smith before getting caught late on :?

Main trouble I see with reinforcing a hands-down style is when you're in trouble you'll revert to that, which isn't a great idea when your reflexes are a bit dulled. It may help you a bit when you're not in trouble (the strange angles can confuse the other fighter), but if you're not in trouble why do you need to resort to party tricks in the first place? I'd rather see people learn the basics well and adopt a style that will suit them when the going gets tough.
SpugFab

Postby Muay Jin » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:43 pm

There is no try, only do.
Muay Jin

PreviousNext

Return to Martial Arts