5 0 Around finaly when you need them

Styles, training, conditioning, equipment - everything related to Martial Arts.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby JP » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:04 am

my reply :D

no i dont like the idea, but we get back to this age old misunderstanding of anarchism as a individualist lifestyle choices (hey, remember that song "i'm a better anarchist than you"?).

The structures and the situation are what they are at the moment and perversely anarchists who seek abolition of state, police, army and prisons do rely on those things (kind of like vegans rely on medical procedures and medicines tested on animals - bad comparison but illustrates the superficial contradiction which is not really a contradiction at all). For instance in community activism trying to battle crime in our areas we often have to pressurise police to do more.

So as long as this is the situation i will use police since the alternative is some individualistic vigilante adventure which is just plain stupid. In areas where there is no state presence and community would be decently organised, there would be no need to involve politce anyway.
JP
Site Admin

Postby loveliberate » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:49 pm

JP!
I appreciate your reply explaining more where you are coming from. It seems that we have very different ideas about Anarchism. I'm actually far less "anti-cop" than many/most Anarchists I know but definitely do not see relying on them / the court system or strengthening their power as a positive thing. It's particularly contradictory that you seem to be so down on actively creating and using alternatives more in line with Anarchism...
loveliberate

Postby JP » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:21 am

loveliberate wrote:definitely do not see relying on them / the court system or strengthening their power as a positive thing.

of course i dont either, but relying on them in a situation like arresting a rapist or someone who attacked you is not strenghtening them any more than relying on money to buy your tofu is strenghtening capitalism.

Cops are just a coincidental consequence of class society not a root cause to any problem.

It's particularly contradictory that you seem to be so down on actively creating and using alternatives more in line with Anarchism...

i dont see the contradiction. I use money, but want a moneyless society. I have a job but do not want bosses. I go to demos to demand UK gov to stop the war in Iraq, but want a world without politicians.

Don't make the all too common fallacy of taking social and political issues and just reducing them to individual lifestyle choices mate.
JP
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Martial Arts