London to Brighton bike ride

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby mrpotatohead » Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:45 pm

The ride was great, a must do, whether on butchers bike or not. The bikes have a massive basket on the front which doesn't move when the handlebars do :? , with handlebars that touch your knees when you turn :o , my left and right brakes were the wrong way around :shock: , and they weigh a tonne. Saying that, I became quite attached to mine, and was almost reluctant to stop. I could have kept on going.
We left at 0930 as one person got stuck on the tube. We didn't bother going through the official start as there were too many people, so we sneaked around the side and joined in. Sneaked around the corner, all eight of us, on butchers bikes, with bells and horns. :lol:
The going was slow ar first, leaving London, we stopped here and there, handed out leaflets about vegetarianism from viva and peta, and the british heartless foundation leaflet from peta. We picked it up a bit later on, overtaking others on many geared bikes with some ease. We only had the one gear. Saying that, as heavy as they are, the bikes flew down hills. I gave me great pleasure to overtake the normal bikes, vegan power and all that.
We wore meat is murder t-shirts yet I didn't get one snide remark all day, though I did hear others get the occasion "i'm off for a hamburger" when offered a leaflet, or "what if plants feel pain" but the cyclist didn't stop for a chat :roll: . Some people didn't know how to take us, many entered into the spirit of the ride, hopefullly some will question their eating habits, and I'm sure some didn't really realise why they were cycling. There were many burger bars along the ride, all got the bells and horns and meat is murder treatment.
It rained and hell stoned quite hard for a bit, but thats not a problem, the sun was out in Brighton at the end, so all was ok.
If anyone knows the route, there is Ditchling Beacon at the end, a ridiculously steep hill, tour de france type, a hill you would not usually drive up, and if you did, it would be in first gear. Anyway, very few would have got up the hill without pushing, even though most on sensible bikes had 24+ gears, yet two of our all vegan group got up as they have done previously. Some of you may have met them at the manchester fayre, and they may well be joining here.
Once over the monster hill, down hill to brigthon, where one of the top hill climbers managed to get a speed camera to flash. At the end we spread across the road so nobody could pass to cross the finish line, with the guy on the tanoy welcoming us with a " and here come the greengrocers" annoucement, and then saying " here comes a political group". :lol:

Top day out, a must do again
mrpotatohead

Postby JP » Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:39 pm

Fantastic stuff spud! Thanks for the report, sounds like it was a great day. If you find any pics on the net, please post a link for us here.
JP
Site Admin

Postby mrpotatohead » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:40 am

As soon as I see the pics, I will post them. Hopefully the top hill climber will be joining here, so he may well post them himself. Another one or two may well be signing up. :)
mrpotatohead

Postby fit vegan » Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:35 pm

Hi you guys. Thanks for the great comments though I've very late. I've finally started to post on this site. I helped organise the L-B ride. I'm Chris, son of Vernon the brains behind the event.

I'll dig out some photos and post them on here.

Cheers...
fit vegan

Postby CENTURION 2 CENTS » Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:08 pm

Cheers for photos forthcoming Mr fit Vegan, lol.... even though I don't know what the L-B ride is... Duoh.. Lol

I've not been on the site for what seems like ages, so me late and behind
on things at this site too.
ЖЖЖЖЖЖЖЖЖЖ health-enthusiast-*vegan*-fitness-guru-fanatic--with passion-for-exercise & mind. Spiritual-into vitality-wellbeing-weights, compassion, eco-sustaining lifestyle.. (the only lifestyle)
CENTURION 2 CENTS

Postby fit vegan » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:08 pm

How do I upload pics on this site?? [/img]
fit vegan

Postby fredrikw » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:13 am

there are not facilities for this yet (right, JP?), but many people here use http://www.photobucket.com, then just add the pre-formatted links...
fredrikw
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Cycling Forum