Increasing Raw

Going vegan and new vegans in need of support or information.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Increasing Raw

Postby pinkgirl » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:12 am

Athough the idea of a completely raw diet doesn't appeal to me (I love hot food too much) I quite like the idea of eating, say 70% raw. The thing is, it just seems like hard work! Sometimes I can eat a stack of veg sticks etc, but other days its too much of a mission, and I feel worn out from doing it, but still hungry!

Any suggestions of easier ways to increase my raw intake?

Thanks.
pinkgirl

Postby JO » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:24 pm

You can always add raw nuts and seeds for fat/protein that will last you a while (two, three handfuls per day), fruit juice smoothies aren't boring either. I haven't got to the point where I'm combining soaked raw nuts and raw fruits in a blender/food processor, but .flux has posted a couple of nutritious, raw blender drinks (see the recipe section).
Kinetic-corporeal joy is known to ALL creatures.
JO

Postby seasiren » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:15 pm

Check out some of the raw food boards to get an idea of what they are eating. Another idea is to eat a piece of fruit 30 minutes before your meal.

My day generally looks like:
coffee (not raw)
1/2grapefruit
small banana
huge organic spinach salad with onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, celery, brocolli sprouts, baby carrots, raw sunflower seeds w/olive oil dressing OR raw brocolli in a raw tahini sauce
small organic apple
cooked or raw dinner, if it is cooked I have a raw "side".
raw veggies if I am hungry before bed

If you are still getting hungry add nuts or avacado to your mid-day eating, this should help. Knowing you are consuming enough calories should help. You do not get the same type of "full" feeling eating raw foods. After 2-3 days you'll adjust and for me I feel "too full" after eating my cooked meal, and therefore have been eating a smaller portion of it.
I tell people I'm too stupid to know what's impossible. I have ridiculously large dreams, and half the time they come true.
seasiren

Postby pinkgirl » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:30 pm

That looks like the sort of day I could manage actually, but probably not every day. The only cooked things I have had today are soup at lunch and a couple of cups of coffee.
pinkgirl

Postby saucypunk » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:56 pm

I'm right with you on the raw thing, actually. I've found something that has worked well for me (though probably not quite 70% raw) is a fruit smoothie (with some protein powder) for breakfast, a salad for lunch, some nuts or dried fruit for snacks, and then a cooked dinner. There are some raw dinner-type things that I enjoy too when it's warmer out, like cool soups and that sort of thing.

Also, what I do sometimes is follow a raw recipe and then just heat it up. That way you get the emphasis on fresh vegetables and natural ingredients and still get a warm meal!
saucypunk

Postby michelle2 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:12 am

You can make many things that are raw, like cookies, nut milks and cereals, also snacks and "pasta dishes" that are just zuchinni or other veggie cut in a shape of spagetti and fixed with nice sauce, maybe some nuts etc. I have a book Raw Food Real world, and I found some good recepies and good advices, but I still think I like my cooked food to much, so I can't switch to high % of raw food. Maybe 50% in winter and 70% in summer.
Chocolate Puding Raw
2 cups coconut meat
3/4 cup coconut water, at room temperature
1/2 cup maple syrup, 1/3 cup agave nectar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 Tablespoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup sea salt
Blend all the ingredients until completly smooth, stopping to scrape the sides as necessary. Chill for firmer pudding or eat straightaway. Serve with chopped nuts!
michelle2

Postby Joaquin's Army!! » Mon May 01, 2006 10:06 pm

That sounds good. I'm going to try it!! 8)
"Not being able to do everything is no excuse for not doing everything you can"
Joaquin's Army!!

Postby KombuchaCHIC » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:12 pm

The more raw foods, the better! I find that when I'm eating all raw, I get full faster. I eat lots of fruit in the morning and nuts and seeds throughout the day. A nice big salad with nuts on it can fill you up pretty good. Another thing I do is carry around raw trail mix, so when I go out to eat with friends I can order a salad and throw some trail mix on it to make it more substantial.

Good luck,
Heather
KombuchaCHIC

Return to New Vegan