Why and how did you get into martial arts?

Styles, training, conditioning, equipment - everything related to Martial Arts.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby pandiriver » Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:34 am

that is how I felt about tai chi chuan too.. 'course I think it was the instructors way of teaching it I had a problem with- he was all into the health aspects and none of the fighting aspects. I am however gonna check out a tai chi chuan seminar with Brian Jones when he comes around Malmoe, hopefully I'll learn something sweet.. and get some perspective on my WT =)
please reveganise me =(
pandiriver

Postby pandiriver » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:59 pm

Rochelle wrote:Just an update- decided to opt for training with Prenna's instructor, who teaches practical self-defense using a blend of styles, specifically for hunt sabs and other activists who may find themselves in compromising situations. I'm told it's alot of pyschology, so that should be fun :D

hope you enjoy it and get something good out of it :)

now we just need to turn you into a martial arts freak and get you off this "only self defence" idea :lol:
please reveganise me =(
pandiriver

Postby Mary » Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:06 pm

Self expression, as well as defence. (She says, inspired by Bruce Lee.)
Mary

Postby Rochellita » Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:39 pm

pandiriver wrote:
hope you enjoy it and get something good out of it :)

now we just need to turn you into a martial arts freak and get you off this "only self defence" idea :lol:

:D that's what I'm worried about- it's hard for me not to do things 100% or just quit....

My gym has toniki(?!) aikido and muay thai- so as that's part of my membership I could try them out, one day..maybe..
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby pandiriver » Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:00 pm

aah... one of those.. I have the same problem, total obssession with whatever.

MT and Aikido would be an interesting mix :lol: "ok... I just throw him in a nice and friendly way overe here... then I elbow him to death! YEAH!" 8)
please reveganise me =(
pandiriver

Postby GenTDuke » Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:54 pm

I started Martial Arts as in school I was a fat loser who was picked on by the bigger alpha males, now they all work in Macdonalds and have no future: I am a degree student... YEAH, Karma in action.

I had a knife put to my throat when I was sixteen by a pumped up steroid prick, he did it in front of his GF in order to impress her, I have also been chased with iron bars by the local trash.

Five years down the line I dont have anymore problems as these people only pick on the weak.
GenTDuke

Postby GenTDuke » Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:00 pm

Mary wrote:I got into martial arts because as a hunt sab I was always getting into positions where people attempted to beat the shit out of me. It happens on demos too, but sabbing the Cheshire Forest for a couple of seasons really brought home to me how dangerous protest could be.

I am very tempted to get into sabbing, but I may end up destroying the hippie Pacifist image of a Vegan by breaking some Ignorant fools face.
GenTDuke

Postby JP » Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:19 pm

GenTDuke wrote:I am very tempted to get into sabbing, but I may end up destroying the hippie Pacifist image of a Vegan by breaking some Ignorant fools face.

Image? What image? :lol: Depending on the sab group, thats what might very well happen on a typical sab day out - 99% of sabs go without violence, but if things kick off people usually are ready, no worries. Some hunts are certain to get violent, and are only hit with big sab groups, usually several from all over the local area. Many hunts, like the local one here, are very tame and only couple sabs can prevent kills for the day without having to worry about their health.
JP
Site Admin

Postby pandiriver » Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:57 am

GenTDuke: what art(s) is it you are into?
please reveganise me =(
pandiriver

Postby GenTDuke » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:30 pm

pandiriver wrote:GenTDuke: what art(s) is it you are into?

Wado Karate. Jui Jitsu and a little Tai Boxing on the side, then all mixed up into street syle training.

I tried Akido but it wasn't for me.
GenTDuke

Postby pandiriver » Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:30 am

karata and thai boxing mix-up... I wonder why people don't pick on you anymore :twisted:
please reveganise me =(
pandiriver

Postby jovial_nihilist » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:04 pm

I started when I was eight. My parents thought it would be a good way to develop discipline after seeing a flier and entering me in a contest for 3 free classes (which everyone who entered won). I fell in love with it after the first class, and after 6 years, I got my black belt, and now I'm teaching other eight-year-olds:) wewt.
Because we do not know what death is, it is not logical to fear it. It could be something quite wonderful...
jovial_nihilist

Postby GenTDuke » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:54 pm

jovial_nihilist wrote:I started when I was eight. My parents thought it would be a good way to develop discipline after seeing a flier and entering me in a contest for 3 free classes (which everyone who entered won). I fell in love with it after the first class, and after 6 years, I got my black belt, and now I'm teaching other eight-year-olds:) wewt.

Hey mate, what martial arts background are you from.
GenTDuke

Postby jovial_nihilist » Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:08 pm

GenTDuke wrote:
jovial_nihilist wrote:I started when I was eight. My parents thought it would be a good way to develop discipline after seeing a flier and entering me in a contest for 3 free classes (which everyone who entered won). I fell in love with it after the first class, and after 6 years, I got my black belt, and now I'm teaching other eight-year-olds:) wewt.

Hey mate, what martial arts background are you from.

Isshyn Ryu karate and kobudo and some cardio kickboxing. I've done a little bit of Capoeira, but I'm not gymnastic enough for that. My dojo is going to start having tai chi classes sometime over the summer, so I might give that a try.

(Isshyn Ryu, btw, is a fairly new style. It was invented 51 years ago by master Tatsuo Shimobuko by fusing together Shoen Ryu and Goju Ryu, which are currently the most popular styles in Okinowa...I just figured I'd give a little background since it's pretty new and not too well-known).
Because we do not know what death is, it is not logical to fear it. It could be something quite wonderful...
jovial_nihilist

Previous

Return to Martial Arts