Capoeira

Styles, training, conditioning, equipment - everything related to Martial Arts.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Capoeira

Postby V VII Hero » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:05 pm

This is my first ever martial arts attempt, and its soo much fun. I am taking free weekly classes in Flagstaff, Arizona (USA). I thought I was gonna be bad at it, but I actually have some of the moves down, including a few really difficult ones (due to my gymnastics background).

I got to play, and it was soo much fun. everyone gets in a circle and music is going, and you go to the rhythm of the beat.

anyone else take capoeira?
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Postby GenTDuke » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:23 pm

Hey dude, nice to hear you took it up at last. I am a fan of capoeira as you know (apart from the lack of broken rythem), check out Ong bac 2 for some sick capoeira.
GenTDuke

Postby V VII Hero » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:02 pm

GenTDuke wrote:Hey dude, nice to hear you took it up at last. I am a fan of capoeira as you know (apart from the lack of broken rythem), check out Ong bac 2 for some sick capoeira.

yeh man, i finally took it up. :)

there's an ong bak 2? i remember ong bak with tony jaa was amazing.
i shall have to check out this second one
V VII Hero

Postby Nakeddragon » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:59 am

I did capoiera for a little while, as a supplement to my kickboxing. It was a lot of fun and a great workout, unfortunetly I don't have a gymnastics background so backflips and the like have never been my thing.
Nakeddragon

Postby infenix » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:56 am

Capoeira is cool. There's a group local to me but its timetable clashes with my kung fu. Also, I worry about the music - I'm 99% sure I won't like it :P.

There are some stupendous web resources for Cap., I remember one which had video of 100 techniques from noob upwards.

Have fun.

Rgds,
David
infenix

Postby V VII Hero » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:13 am

infenix wrote: Also, I worry about the music - I'm 99% sure I won't like it :P.

I absolutely love brazilian music.
V VII Hero

Postby JP » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:44 pm

Ong Bak 2 is out?!?! Worth of a thread on its own i think 8)

Well done for starting capoiera mate - i think you have the physique for it.
JP
Site Admin

Postby Sinister Kung Fu » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:56 pm

I haven't heard anything about an Ong Bak 2, but Tony Jaa's latest is called Tom Yum Goong. I don't think it's actually a sequel although I have heard it referred to as Ong Bak 2 in a couple places on the internet

http://www.tomyumgoongmovie.com/index_e.asp

Nathan Jones (formerly of WWE) is in it as one of the main bad guys.
Sinister Kung Fu

Postby V VII Hero » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:51 pm

i've got class again tonight. i cant wait!!
V VII Hero

Postby chloe » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:29 pm

i really want to take up capoiera!
Have no idea if its for me or not, but i love the music i love to dance, im really interested in martial arts and i love cardio exercise,...geuss i'll just have to try it and see,.!
Im jeolous of your free classes aswell!
chloe

Postby veganmonk » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:44 pm

I wish I had a more athletic childhood / gymnastic background, or was in amazing shape.

Capoeria just seems so intimidating.

I did wushu for a bit and seeing these little kids do all these flips and super high jumps was so demoralizing...

I actually think we have a worldclass instructor in my area (Vancouver):
http://www.axecapoeira.com

But I just dont' think I could do it....too old now!

I guess that's why I do wingchun - the lazy man's martial art =)
veganmonk

Postby veganmonk » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:38 pm

OK - change of mind!

I just joined capoeira and have had 2 classes - I love it!

The music is hypnotic and doing MA to music is just so much more fun and somehow makes the body feel less tired..

My legs are KILLING me though heh =)

Someday I'll figure out how to do the cartweels and handstands....

:lol:
veganmonk

Postby Glen » Sat May 20, 2006 10:35 pm

This looks like so much fun. Have been reading about some of the moves, they sound pretty intense! I'd really love to take the up when I go to university.
Glen

Postby bloodgroove » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:54 pm

Capoeira rules. I've been doing it for a couple of years on and off and it's the only martial art I keep coming back to.

After I did capoeira for the first time my glutes were killing me. I am still perfecting my handstands but cartwheels are easy. There is an exercise which helped me to do them better but I am having a hard time trying to describe it.

For the guy who said he may have trouble with the music, the music is made for capoeira. It;s not just like workin out to oldies, but the moves work in rythm. You don't just listen to it, you play to it.

There are two styles of capoeira. Angola which is played slowly, an very close to the ground. It requires alot of stamina to hold positions for a long period of time. Regional (pronounced Reh-jee-ohn-ahl) is fast and often what you see people doing when they're flipping all over the place.

Ong Bak 2 is actually just another movie by Tony Jaa. It's called tom Yum Goong, and will be released in the US late this year, early next year. The capoeirista in the movie got hurt shooting, otherwise that scene would have been longer. Tony Jaa is currently working on another movie called sword to be released in asia next year.

Another movie with a decent capoeirista is Ocean's 12. The Night Fox does some solo capoeira moves in two scenes, one for training and one to get past lasers. He's an Angoliero, you can tell by how he moves. Also, if you're fast, in Harry Potter 4, you can see some Capoeiristas as the acrobats when the durmstrangs come into the dining hall. Capoeira is unmistakable, if you know it, you'll recognize even a glimpse of it.

Some clips
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdZXp0Tq ... h=capoeira (showing off is customary in capoeira)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51q1VB_d ... h=capoeira

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-xOpkhn ... h=capoeira
(beginners)

Can you tell I like capoeira just a little :)
bloodgroove

Postby veganmonk » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:38 pm

I'm absolutely loving Capoera too :lol:

I love how wild it is - makes me feel like we still have some instinct and culture in our species =)

The music and feeling of positivity of the singing and music together while playing capoera creates and entire energy and culture that is much unlike any other martial art I've ever done.

It is also much harder to do, due to the gymanstic/acrobatic part.

I never had any trouble being good at others like taekwondo, kicking hard, being flexible, was easy, but to maneuver my entire body in such fluency and acrobatic nature is very difficult!

I wish I had done gymnastics as a child!

Also requirse much more arm strength than I have, so I'm not able to do the front/back flips. Also never learned how to do a cartwheel, so still struggling with those ones.
veganmonk

Next

Return to Martial Arts