my band- the contrast medium

Music, movies, literature, art, poems...

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

my band- the contrast medium

Postby V VII Hero » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:41 pm

hey everyone,

I moved to Arizona, USA and reunited with two of my highschool bestfriends who moved out here from Pennsylvania. I play bass in the band. I play some difficult slap lines and odd-meter riffs but you cant really tell cause its a homemade recording with a $10 microphone. oh yeh and all the drums are done completely on the computer too.

so with that said: please

check out our song "ACFACSOG"

http://www.myspace.com/thecontrastmedium

and dont forget to add us as your friends <3

hoping to get a real drummer and play shows. I want to add more metal influences into the band. heh.
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Postby V VII Hero » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:46 pm

please let me know what bands you think we sound like.

both guitarists are heavily influenced by: the mars volta, coheed and cambria, deftones,

and I am heavily influences by: Isis, Pelican, deftones, zakk wylde, metallica, my own playing style, and metal
V VII Hero

Postby infenix » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:44 pm

The main thing is to have fun, right?

Just kiddin :D. It sounds fine.

Good luck with the band.

Rgds,
David
infenix

Postby JP » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:32 am

didn't yet get a chance to listen to you rband mate, but WOW! You moved to flagstaff - we visited it last spring and it was very beautiful out there.

Do you get to do hikes and stuff? You are not homeless and living in some old car are you mate? :D Do you have a job at the moment?

Anyways, good luck with AZ life! There are some awesome people out there doing great stuff for the animals and the earth in tucson way if you want to hook up with them. Probably some similar folks in Flagstaff as well?
JP
Site Admin

Postby V VII Hero » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:15 pm

JP wrote:didn't yet get a chance to listen to you rband mate, but WOW! You moved to flagstaff - we visited it last spring and it was very beautiful out there.

Do you get to do hikes and stuff? You are not homeless and living in some old car are you mate? :D Do you have a job at the moment?

Anyways, good luck with AZ life! There are some awesome people out there doing great stuff for the animals and the earth in tucson way if you want to hook up with them. Probably some similar folks in Flagstaff as well?

let me know what you think when you listen to my band...its not hardcore or metal...but rather alternative/progressive. something new for me to play.

flagstaff is gorgeous. i love it here. thats rad you visited here before.
thanks to visiting the UK, i am hooked on curry and eat it here everynight. and last night i made some of my own. yumm.
I visited snowbowl and hiked around there a little bit and i visited the grand canyon. plans to hike a lot more often, and to go camping too.
i sold my car and never want to drive again. i am living with my new vegan straight edge girlfriend. she is amazing. I do not have a job at the moment. I might either go work with disabled adults if i can get the job, find some random minimum wage job, or go to a 9 week paid training academy to be a correctional officer (they give me $2,600 for joining, I work 3 days a week, and make enough money to get myself out of debt, afford to lift at the gym and eat proper, 4 days off to play music and go hiking, buy pro music equipment, and afford to come to sweden) (I just have to see if i can pass the test to get in, and if i can get vegan food options there, and avoid training with canines).

I'm hoping to hook up with some more vegans around here and help out.

btw- im still bodybuilding but i stepped out of my 15 minutes of spotlight. no ego here. id rather just lift for fun. i am bulking up quite nicely too.
V VII Hero

Postby Rochellita » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:30 pm

really good to hear that you are doing so well Topher, and have a partner :D

I absolutely loved the parts of Arizona that we visited, and I know it's a cliche, but Sedona and the surrounding red rock area has some of the most amazing nature I've seen, really unusual. You've really ended up in a nice part of the world. Only thing I remember about Flagstaff though, is the downtown health food shop.
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby V VII Hero » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:34 pm

aww thanks! :)

Im gonna be going to sedona next week to have me a look around.

flagstaff has vegan bakeries, thai food, indian food, vegan co-op, farmers market, two gyms, and local grocery stores have organic sections and vegan sections and natural foods. its awesome. and lots of people cycle here. and there is a snowboard moutain 10 miles away in case I get the urge to ride.

one thing flagstaff isnt big on is recycling :(
V VII Hero

Postby Sinister Kung Fu » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:27 pm

V VII Hero wrote:aww thanks! :)

Im gonna be going to sedona next week to have me a look around.

flagstaff has vegan bakeries, thai food, indian food, vegan co-op, farmers market, two gyms, and local grocery stores have organic sections and vegan sections and natural foods. its awesome. and lots of people cycle here. and there is a snowboard moutain 10 miles away in case I get the urge to ride.

one thing flagstaff isnt big on is recycling :(

And you're real close to Sedona, which is one of the raddest places on earth. :D
Sinister Kung Fu

Postby bronco » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:06 pm

V VII Hero wrote:i sold my car and never want to drive again. i am living with my new vegan straight edge girlfriend. she is amazing. I do not have a job at the moment. I might either go work with disabled adults if i can get the job, find some random minimum wage job, or go to a 9 week paid training academy to be a correctional officer (they give me $2,600 for joining, I work 3 days a week, and make enough money to get myself out of debt, afford to lift at the gym and eat proper, 4 days off to play music and go hiking, buy pro music equipment, and afford to come to sweden) (I just have to see if i can pass the test to get in, and if i can get vegan food options there, and avoid training with canines).

Hey, are you sure you would want to work as a correctional officer? Im not sure but I imagine that to be a completely crappy job. Or are you just gonna do the training ?
JP wrote:Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby V VII Hero » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:15 pm

bronco wrote:Hey, are you sure you would want to work as a correctional officer? Im not sure but I imagine that to be a completely crappy job. Or are you just gonna do the training ?

i was just gonna try to do the training for the incentive pay, work a week or two, then quit cause it has a high turnover rate and the job sucks. lol. but i just decided today that i dont want to disappear from lovely flagstaff for 9 weeks. so im gonna have to find another job.
V VII Hero

Postby takecharge » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:05 am

hey. i figured i'd give it a listen. i can never understand how people are "inspired" by coheed and cambria..But anyhow its pretty decent stuff. Definetly could use some cleaning up, but as you said, $10 mic and drum machine and all that would most likely result in the kind of sound you have. I liked the second half of ACFACSOG, but not much as a whole. I geniunely liked "A crush complete," though. "Haunt of Bombs" was pretty alright too, but it seemed really abrupt sounding to me, like it could have gone on longer but just kind of droned out. andddd yeah, thats my opinion that really means nothing. hah!
Buy a book. Read up. I'm on every page.
takecharge

Postby V VII Hero » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:22 am

takecharge wrote:hey. i figured i'd give it a listen. i can never understand how people are "inspired" by coheed and cambria..But anyhow its pretty decent stuff. Definetly could use some cleaning up, but as you said, $10 mic and drum machine and all that would most likely result in the kind of sound you have. I liked the second half of ACFACSOG, but not much as a whole. I geniunely liked "A crush complete," though. "Haunt of Bombs" was pretty alright too, but it seemed really abrupt sounding to me, like it could have gone on longer but just kind of droned out. andddd yeah, thats my opinion that really means nothing. hah!

thanks, no this means a lot to me. pretty much the things youve said are the things ive brought up to my band. thanks.
V VII Hero

Postby RobertCheeke » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:46 am

I love the photo you posted. I haven't listened yet, but Megan and I will soon.

Take care bro,

Rob
Robert Cheeke
"When your actions speak for themselves, don't interrupt."
www.myspace.com/veganbodybuilding
RobertCheeke

Return to Culture