new programme

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

new programme

Postby Malcolms Billy » Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:30 am

Hi,
by way of getting into things and getting my motivation back up, I've changed my programme and adjusted it, taking Angie's (a.k.a valkyrie_blue) periodization programme as a base. thanks for sharing that with us Angie, has been really helpful!

Yesterday I did 3x10 of:

leg press @ 135kg
deadlift @ 30kg
bench @ 20kg
lat pulldown @21kg (weight will go up next time)
military press @ 10kg
Biceps curls @ 10kg
straight arm pushdown @ 50kg, failed on 3rd set, 7th rep.
abs crunch 3x15

Any comments/feedback appreciated!
I was absolutely finished after that last night, and pretty sore today, but to me that's still the signs of a proper workout :)
Straight arm pushdown is an exercise I did for the first time yesterday, recommended by one of the few knowledgeable instructors in our gym. He'd watched us swim on Thursday, from behind the glass partition (hence the fact that he wasn't able to comment on the spot), and gave me some feedback on my front crawl, which apparently was a lot owrse than I thought. The exercise is meant to give me more strength when pushing down through the water. another thing he said, was that the only thing that helps improve endurance and efficiency in swimming is 'heavy weights'. I wonder if anyone thinks if the opposite would then also be true, i.e. that swimming would aid the ability to lift heavy?

See ya,
Billy
Malcolms Billy

Postby Malcolms Billy » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:17 am

The workout above kept me well sore for days! Must've done something right then :)
Swam this morning. The pool is 20 metres long, and if I've kept track rightly, we've done about 86 lengths in total, so that's 1720 metres (a mile and a bit). Not bad first thing in the morning I'd say!
Will be back in the gym tonight for another helping of said programme, followed by tai chi.
Hope you're all having a good day!

See ya,
Billy
Malcolms Billy

Postby JP » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:37 am

good stuff billy, good luck with your new program! 4 days doms hehee, you are returning with a vengeance! Hope the doms will be easier next time around...
JP
Site Admin

Postby Malcolms Billy » Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:10 pm

thanks JP! We'll see about those DOMS after tonight! :)

See ya,
Billy
Malcolms Billy

Postby Malcolms Billy » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:32 pm

All psyched up for my total body blasting workout, but alas..When I got to the gym I just spotted a teacher coming in, who was replacing the usual aerobics teacher. I've known her for a while and I've always wanted to do an aerobics class taught by her, but she usually doesn't work at our gym. Anyway, won't go off on the scenic route too much, but I totally threw the idea of working out in the gym out the window and followed her to the studio, did the aerobics class, which I really enjoyed, and then tai chi after that. I had an ambitious idea to do some weights after all that, but in the end I was just too knackered.
Oh well, weights will happen tomorrow, can't be thwarted by any classes I'd want to go to instead :)
Will keep yous posted on the progress on that, for today I think I've done a quite satisfying amount of cardio :)

See ya,
Billy
Malcolms Billy

Postby Malcolms Billy » Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:23 pm

Got to do the body blastin' workout tonight. Upped the weight on the lat pulldown with 7.5lbs. Bench was extensively occupied, so used a flat bench with a 17.5kg barbell instead of the 20kg bar, as it didn't have a rack and I didn't have a spotter. Went okay, could probably push more, but I don't want to get into any tricky situations - particularly not in full view of massive meathead congregation! - by not having a rack or spotter.
Was so knackered by second set of straight arm pushdown that I was nearly sick. Took it easy on abs afterwards by using one of them "rocking chairs" (you know what I mean!). I'm hoping the sauna and steam afterwards have nurtured my battered muscles a bit, ideally I'd like to go again tomorrow.

Billy
Malcolms Billy

Postby Malcolms Billy » Sun Jan 18, 2004 4:54 pm

Hams and calves still a bit sore after Friday, so did upper body only. Upped weight on almost everything, and am totally wasted now (the only upper body parts that I didn't work out are my fingers, the rest of me is DEAD :!: )
Anyway, here goes:

Bench: 1x10x20kgs/ 1 set of 2x5x25 (was wobbly and not sure if I'd manage without a spotter)/1x10x25
Lat pull down: 3x10x28 (just about, form wasn't great on last set)
Military press: 1x10x12.5/ 1x8 (failed)x12.5/ 1x9 (failed)x12.5
Biceps curl: 3x10x12.5 (just about!)
Straight arm pull down: 3x10x50
Abs: 3x15 on fitball

I hate to think what my DOMS will be like tomorrow, good workout nevertheless.
Malcolms Billy

Postby Marathon girl » Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:46 pm

Billy,

I just wanted to say that I think your weights programme sounds REALLY impressive but I am too stupid to understand it as I don't do any weights as I cannot get to a gym - the nearest is about 3 million miles from here! I do wish I had time but it is just totally impossible for me to go out and I am a bit shy of such establishments as I always feel like a bit of a 'blob' just standing around.

I must confess though that the highlight of my Xmas is always watching the World's Strongest Man competition. I identify more with picking up ridiculously shaped objects and either carrying or dragging them along as this is what I seem to spend most of the day doing!

Keep up the good work, it sounds really awesome!

Love Fiona and the gang
vegan power!
Marathon girl

Postby JP » Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:21 pm

Marathon girl wrote:I must confess though that the highlight of my Xmas is always watching the World's Strongest Man competition.

Now thats what i call a girl with a good taste!!! :D :D :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby Malcolms Billy » Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:19 pm

JP wrote:
Marathon girl wrote:I must confess though that the highlight of my Xmas is always watching the World's Strongest Man competition.

Now thats what i call a girl with a good taste!!! :D :D :D

I was waiting for a reply like that!! :lol: :lol: JP even braved the bitter cold in a deserted flat to watch that programme!! :lol:
I reckon you two should be in it, if not at least start another thread about 'lifting odd objects', hi hi!

Fiona, thanks for your encouragement! The weights I lift probably aren't much compared to hay bales and sacks of animal feed, but it's hard work for me and as long as I improve I'm happy with it - muscle soreness definitely setting in now, will be a laugh getting up tomorrow :? I'm also quite sure you'd put a lot of the 'leotard gang' in a gym to shame if you were to work out there! But it has to be your cuppa tea - and why would you bother with a gym when you've got such a fine home gym, with all the odd objects to lift that others could only wish for! :wink:
I've run for a while, because with my big mouth I'd said that I'd run a 10k, within a year of quitting smoking and starting to work out. I'm pleased to say I did run the Women's 10k in 2001 in Liverpool, finished in 57 mins, so not disgracefully late, but every time I run I feel as graceful as a duck with piles! :oops: So I've decided that I put that kind of exercise on the back burner for a bit. Lots of respect to you and everybody else who achieve marathons though!
Oh, as for Malcolm - whose lovely picture this is indeed! :D - he'd be very happy to meet you all on the next Open Day. He trusts it that his secretary (i.e. me) will be informed in time as to when his presence will be expected!
Alright, enuff of me rambling on,

See ya,
Billy
Malcolms Billy

Postby Malcolms Billy » Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:39 pm

Another day another workout! :)
Skipped swimming this morning, will go again next week. Did go to Tai Chi, loved it again and I learnt the next move! :D I'm really excited about Tai Chi, wish I'd tried it sooner. Quite amazing how something that looks so easy and light can be absolutely knackering!

As I was late, did a bit of an abbreviated workout afterwards.
Figuring that my legs had had enough of a workout during Tai Chi, I did:
deadlifting: 1 warmup set: 10x25, then 2x10x40kg
dumbbell flyes: 3x10x5kg
military press (barbell): 2x10x12.5, 1x7x12.5 (failure)
biceps curl (barbell) 3x10x12.5
skull crusher (my fav!): 3x10xEZbar (anyone got any idea how heavy those are in general? guesstimate 10kgs)

Am absolutely knackered now, have trouble lifting my glass with shake! :D

See ya,
Billy
Malcolms Billy

Postby Malcolms Billy » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:27 pm

First workout of the week, not good. Couldn't really be helped though. Anyway, thought I'd blast it again, see what weights I could up.
Started with leg press, upped that by 20 to 155 kgs. Felt very manageable, so that is to go up again next time!
Deadlifts stayed at 35 kgs, with a note to up that weight next time.
As I was without spotter, I did DB flyes for chest, trying out 7.5 kgs for a few reps and failing miserably :cry: Went down to 6 kgs and did alright. At least 1 kg up from last time.
Lat pulldowns stayed at the same weight, 28 kgs. I was considering upping it, but no good form during last set. My criteria for upping weight is that I should have good form till the last rep of the last set. I see too many people in the gym throwing weights about that they wouldn't even be able to lift if they'd use proper form. Loks like a painful joke to me.
Military press stayed the same, 12.5 kgs, and after all of the above I was so knackered that I failed on the 6th rep of the last set.
Biceps curls stayed therefore the same, 12.5 kgs as well.
Hadn't done straight arm pushdown for a while, so did that again, with a 50 kgs weight and it nearly killed me!
Finished off with 3 sets of 15 reverse curls and obliques.
Apparently after I'd done all that I looked like somebody'd died!

Recovering now with a yummy "fish" steak (well recommended for those who like fake "meat" stuff, I love it! :P ) and a massive salad. Mmmmm, life ain't so bad!

See ya,
Billy
Malcolms Billy

Postby Malcolms Billy » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:51 pm

forgot: all of the above was 3x10

Billy
Malcolms Billy

Postby JO » Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:07 am

Hello Billy,

I noticed earlier on in your log mention of swimming. Have you visited the discussion forum www.usms.org? It's very similar to this one, with lots of fantastic threads.

I'm very curious about that fake fish!

JO
JO

Postby Malcolms Billy » Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:31 am

Hi Jo,
thanks for the link, will have a look :) As for the fake fish, don't quote me on it, as I've thrown away the box, but I think it's Veggiemaster or something taht produce it. Its base is soy - off course - and it's got seaweed and all sorts of herbs, spices and flavourings in it. Wouldn't call it health food, but it's very nice, and gives something like 19 grs protein per "steak", which is how I "justify" expensive junkfood :P Don't know if you can get it in the US, if you can it should be in the freezer section.

See ya,
Billy
Malcolms Billy

Next

Return to Training Logs