Back in the game!

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Back in the game!

Postby Malcolms Billy » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:57 pm

Right, after 1 1/2 years of no exercise as such - besides having a semi-active life when I'm not glued to the computer :roll: - today I've done my FIRST workout .... with cans of beans for weights! :lol: :lol:
Some of you might remember that a couple of years back I somehow did my shoulder in (still don't know how I managed it, woke up with it one day!), and weightlifting wasn't the same since. Due to this and other reasons I gave up working out.
Zip thru time, 3 months ago LGB gave me her sheets with an exercise program, which she got off her physio. I kind of dipped into it, but never did the whole thing or any repetitions to speak of.
Zip thru time again: TODAY! Finally decided to get the good old exercise mat out again and did all 10 exercises, 2 sets of 8 reps of each! Seeing as I didn't have any weights, I used what I had to do the exercises that required them: tins of beans (one mixed and one chickpeas to be exact, LOL!)!
I tell you what, I was absolutely floored after that (good thing I was there already! :))! I would not come out of a gym alive if I'd go in to do any of my previous workouts :shock:
But anyway, point of this story is, that by posting this I expect to be suitably nagged about more entries so that I keep it up. It's nothing near what you lot are doing, but it might make me want to go back to working out again (I have to admit to feeling slightly envious when I take a peek in some of your logs and see your PB's and progress to it from the size weights I used to lift ages ago :? ). Don't expect too much from me just yet! But I just might be able to come to VF week and actually do something! :roll: :D
Last edited by Malcolms Billy on Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Malcolms Billy

Postby Fruitbat » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:38 pm

WOW Billy!!!!!!!!!!!! I WANT MOTE I WANT MORE I WANT MORE!!! You go girl! How's the shoulder holding up after its session?
Fruitbat

Postby Malcolms Billy » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:51 pm

Hey Fruity, knew I could count on you - and your enthusiasm for posting ;)! Shoulder is fine, rest of me was knackered, but restored after a glass of Innocent smoothie - the coconut one, divine! :P
Malcolms Billy

Re: This MIGHT become a new log ...

Postby ultra_whippet » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:53 pm

Malcolms Billy wrote:Zip thru time again: TODAY! Finally decided to get the good old exercise mat out again and did all 10 exercises, 2 sets of 8 reps of each! Seeing as I didn't have any weights, I used what I had to do the exercises that required them: tins of beans (one mixed and one chickpeas to be exact, LOL!)!

Whoo hoo! Nice one Billy! We await the next instalment :D
ultra_whippet

Postby Fruitbat » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:54 pm

yeah that coconut one is amazing!!! keep it up - you will enjoy it! I will come and annoy you if you dont keep this log going!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: and if all else fails i will have to come to Manchester to threaten u :!: :wink: :twisted:
Fruitbat

Postby Malcolms Billy » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:59 pm

if all else fails i will have to come to Manchester to threaten u

U threatening me??? :lol: :lol:
Malcolms Billy

Postby Fruitbat » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:02 pm

i threaten u with having to FEED me :twisted:
Fruitbat

Postby Malcolms Billy » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:06 pm

That'd be no prob, take me up any time - but I reckon getting all the food in one go would constitute a workout LOL! :lol: :lol:
Malcolms Billy

Postby littlegirlbunny » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:09 pm

Coolio! New log and all :D :D :D

Hows the bad shoulder feeling now? Tired/sore/ok?

They are pretty good exercises i think. I only really do the side raises now, but they have made a huge difference to my shoulder strength, they really have.

Are you going to record all your long walks too?
"life with littlegirlbunny is never dull"
littlegirlbunny

Postby Malcolms Billy » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:14 pm

Shoulder's fine, no probs at all, but then I didn't use any weights whatsoever! I mean, a tin of beans weighs all of 1 lb, I carry more than that at work!

I used to log my long walks in a paper log book (came in very handy when I wanted to do the walk again at a later date, to see if there'd been anything going on, like gates/walls that should've been there according to the route description but had disappeared since :? ), but got bored with logging. Might do again here tho, at some point :)
Malcolms Billy

Postby Fruitbat » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:21 pm

well log the family's walks if not your own then! :wink: that will insire you! you could keep and Mal and Kiera log! then I could have some of their dog dinners which always sound so nice!!!!! :wink:

btw am going to try your lasagna this weekend (with a couple of Fruity modifications!
Fruitbat

Postby Malcolms Billy » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:46 am

Well The Family don't really walk without me (unless they go AWOL, LOL!), so that's not gonna make much difference :)
As for dinners: Friday we had stirfry with whole meal noodles (always a laugh to see them chomping away with them things hanging out of their mouths :lol: ), Saturday quinua risotto (yummy!!), Sunday and Monday that humongous pot of corn chowder, :P and yesterday the guys had beans, beets and barley, while I had some pasta with courgette, mushrooms and a really nice ready made sauce from a little cok shop called Oil and Vinegar, that's now closed unfortunately :( Dunno what we'll have tonight, will have a think bout that later.
What Fruitbat modifications will there be to the lasagna? Do post hem in the recipe thread! :P
Malcolms Billy

Postby Fruitbat » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:08 pm

any exercises today?
Fruitbat

Postby Malcolms Billy » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:12 pm

This MIGHT become a new log ... but not as we know it :(
We went for a long-ish walk today, as long as you can get on an afternoon when it gets dark early, 1 1/2 along the river in CWP, the local nature reserve, which was fine.
Then came home and prepared dinner. I thought to do another workout while it was cooking, but no such luck. I've been having stomach problems for the past 10 days or so, feeling sick and only being able to eat little amounts at the time (yes, even less than normal!). But the real culprit now seems to be: rooibosch tea! FFS, it's herbal, I mean how healthy can you get! But for the last week or so I've only been able to have 1/2 a cup at most (imagine being online without a mug of tea next to you!). Yesterday I was fine and had a whole mug - in the space of an hour but still - today I just wanted a nice mug of tea after we'd come in from our walk, but had only half and I've been feeling sick as a dog (please take this as a figure of speech, NO malintentions towards my beloved!!) for well over an hour! So that was the workout out of the window. :( Before I now get loads of concerned replies of all you lovelies, I have made an appointment and will be seeing my GP on Monday.
Funny thing is, hot chocolate seems to be sitting fine with me! :P
Tomorrow I'll be off to the dentist to get my wisdom tooth, that has been a literal pain in the gob for weeks, removed, so I'll be out for the count then too. I'm so high maintenance these days, I'm sick of it (too!) :x :(
Malcolms Billy

Postby Malcolms Billy » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:16 pm

As requested, I should add what was for dinner today: I made a concoction with mung beans, carrot, peas, courgette, leek and garlic, and some stock and herbs. Cooked and mixed that together and made a crumble topping with flour, oats, whizzed up pumpkin, sunflower, sesame and hemp seeds, and marge. Put the bean/veg mix in an ovenproof dish, topped with crumble mix and baked in oven for 35 mins at 170C. The guys loved it, and I left a bit for me that I might try later (want my dinner, dammit! :x )
Malcolms Billy

Next

Return to Training Logs