Advice for next grading, Wado Ryu Karate

Styles, training, conditioning, equipment - everything related to Martial Arts.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Advice for next grading, Wado Ryu Karate

Postby Mary » Sun May 16, 2004 10:58 am

Does anybody have any advice for me? My sensei is putting me up for my yellow belt in two weeks time, and I get very nervous during gradings. Also, Tom, any advice for me on daily practise, for this particular grading. He is talking about putting me up for my orange belt then in June/July.

It would be really helpful if somebody could advise me on a revision routine I could go through every day, covering the basics I need for the grading.

Thanks!
Mary

Postby prenna » Sun May 16, 2004 11:07 am

How much time have you got each day to practice? A long time ago I did Shotokan (I quit just before my black belt exam cos I'm an idiot) so I might be able to give you a little advice that might be of use.
prenna

Postby Mary » Sun May 16, 2004 12:03 pm

I would like to practise a minimum of half an hour a day - maybe some days practise twice. At least in the weeks before run ups to gradings! I don't have a massive amount of time though, so the half hour bench mark is best.

At the moment I am practising my katas every day, I only know pinan nidan and pinan shodan. Also I am practising some combined blocks, punches and kicks, when I have five or ten minutes.
Mary

Re: Advice for next grading, Wado Ryu Karate

Postby Frostfire » Sun May 16, 2004 12:32 pm

Mary wrote:My sensei is putting me up for my yellow belt in two weeks time, and I get very nervous during gradings.

I can't help much with advice for techniques to practice, but I've learned that a little nerves before a test is a good thing, keeps you humble. Keeps things in perspective, as long as it doesn't get out of hand :!: Also, if your sensei is putting you up for it, that means he thinks you are ready for it, and he probably would know :). I'm excited for you! I'm sure you'll do great! Keep us posted!
http://www.ChingSanctuary.org
Frostfire

Postby wannalift » Sun May 16, 2004 2:58 pm

If you really want to develop yourself into a good martial artist, you need to develop your mental strength. You should be meditating already. Some people think they don't need to start doing this until before blackbelt, but that is a mistake. You need to develop a trigger to overcoming fear. If you never overcome this fear, all your training will go out the door when you experience the "fight or flight" syndrome. When you get that feeling, instead of being overtaken by butterflies, you need to say to youself "my body is preparing itself for combat". I know that may sound silly, but there really is a defense mechanism in us just like any other animal in nature. Once you overcome, not eliminate, that felling, you can use that adrenaline to work for you. Long story short, overcome fear sooner than later. I'm still working on it myself, so start now.
wannalift

Postby Mary » Sun May 16, 2004 3:14 pm

I see what you mean. But it is a different kind of feeling from fight or flight. When I have needed to defend myself I have been fine - perhaps because I have no option. However, the "butterflies" feeling is a response to a situation I have volunteered for. Mind you, some might say I volunteer to be beaten up if I go out sabbing, but the feeling is quite different. I suppose because I am angry more than scared.

Anyway, yes - we should meditate more. Sensei Sean (and I know how transcultural that name sounds) gets us all to meditate start and finish. And I hope doing yoga will help as well. So basically you and Crystal are both saying I should be scared? That's comforting!
Mary

Postby prenna » Sun May 16, 2004 7:26 pm

In the run up to my gradings I used to get up first thing in the morning and perform one kata each over and over for half an hour or so. I don't know how important katas are in your Karate club but I used to spend a lot of time on mine. I'd practice them at different speeds, forwards and backwards.
Then for the next half an hour of my practice I'd chose a block, a kick, and a punching technique to work on. I'd work them individually, then put them together in combination. Each day I would do a different set of three techniques. I can't remember how many techniques you get taught at yellow belt level but even if it's just a few I'd practice them everyday if I were you.
Also as has been mentioned, meditation! This will help you deal with your nerves better and also visualising yourself performing the perfect techniques during medidation will help.

It's funny thinking back about how disciplined I used to be with my Karate since over the last few days I've been thinking that I'm not putting enough effort into working on my Jeet Kune Do and Kali techniques.
prenna

Re: Advice for next grading, Wado Ryu Karate

Postby GenTDuke » Sun May 16, 2004 8:48 pm

Mary wrote:Does anybody have any advice for me? My sensei is putting me up for my yellow belt in two weeks time, and I get very nervous during gradings. Also, Tom, any advice for me on daily practise, for this particular grading. He is talking about putting me up for my orange belt then in June/July.

It would be really helpful if somebody could advise me on a revision routine I could go through every day, covering the basics I need for the grading.

Thanks!

Hey mary, I dont know your weak spots so I cant give great advice, but I find the main thing that makes gradings hard are the stances, I am assuming you are using shika dachi (free fighting/horse riding) for your kicking stance, I would personaly practice your stance with kicks every day to bring up your endurance for line work at a fast pace. This is the kind of training I do before gradings in order for it to appear to be nothing to maintain a low stance: which also makes head height kicks look even better.
GenTDuke

Postby Mary » Wed May 19, 2004 1:35 pm

Josh put me through my paces last night, and got me to practise some of the techniques I need to demonstrate. It is the first time I do semi-free sparring to gain a belt, and I did okay in practise anyway. I have been a slightly irritating woman about the house the last few days, fighting invisible enemies and so on. :lol:

And next week is the last of my German exam, all Tuesday morning. How can I double my vocabulary in less than a week? Any suggestions folks?
Mary

Postby Mary » Wed May 19, 2004 1:37 pm

Yes, we obviously need a forum for silly ould biddies who don't do their homework! Don't worry, I don't seriously expect one of you to have a brain transplant with me. I am not that evil! :twisted:
Mary

Postby prenna » Wed May 19, 2004 1:37 pm

Mary wrote:And next week is the last of my German exam, all Tuesday morning. How can I double my vocabulary in less than a week? Any suggestions folks?

How about trying to read some German Karate websites? You'd be knocking two coconuts out the tree with one stone :)
prenna

Postby Mary » Wed May 19, 2004 1:44 pm

Why didn't I think about that?

D'oh!
Mary

Postby Mary » Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:05 am

Thanks everybody for the advice - unfortunately because of Neil's health I missed out on my grading again - am hopefully taking it today. (Should have been taking my orange, but never mind.) This is the annual Karate summer school. Loved it last year, am understandably not quite in the mood this year. But still looking forward to two days of hard work - might take my mind off things.
Mary

Postby Mary » Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:37 am

Took my mind off things, and I got my belt! Yay!
Mary

Well done!

Postby Oak » Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:50 am

Good on you Mary,

You got it!!! :P
You karate hunt sabber!

Oak :D
p.s Good luck with the german exam
Oak

Next

Return to Martial Arts