Anybody budding triathletes?

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Anybody budding triathletes?

Postby Oak » Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:52 pm

Has anyone thought of doing the triathlon?

I have am thinking of booking myself into a novice race in June

400m swim
20km Bike ride
5km Run

I can hardly swim, so i'll have to practice that! :lol:
Also never used a race bike (i've got a light mountian bike)

Oak :D
Oak

Postby Rochellita » Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:51 pm

Maybe one day:)

My brother does these crazy canoe and run marathons, 120km long over 3 days. The running is important because parts of the route are not navigable by canoe and the teams of two run with their canoe on their shoulders. Gruelling stuff, but I think a bit more exciting than triathlons.

Does anyone know if these sorts of events happen in the UK at all?

Between my dad's ultramarathon running and my brothers pursuits. I should have the genes to do this stuff!!

Rochelle
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby prefab » Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:32 pm

Woot! oh ya my girl and I have 4 races planned in the next few months.

We just did our first duathlon this last weekend and it was awesome 3mirun, 16milebike, 2milerun. Had a great time at the race. There were some ultra-fit peeps there-jolting me back to my overall goal plans.

practice doing those bricks---running after biking

http://www.trifind.com/

this lists US tri-s and duathlons

GL it's such a great way to start the morning!!!
prefab

Exciting

Postby Oak » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:21 am

My brother does these crazy canoe and run marathons, 120km long over 3 days.

That sounds really cool, i've only recently started doing stuff in the water, i've always had problems with my ears so i wasn't allowed in the water to play :cry: .
I would love to do some canoeing one day. 120km sounds like pure madness though as does an ultramarathon. The thing is, Rochelle, you are a yoga master. I've seen what those unnatural things those yoga people do. It's every bit as unbelievable as an ultramarathon. :lol:

We just did our first duathlon this last weekend and it was awesome 3mirun, 16milebike, 2milerun

How did it feel to get on a bike after you had been running, then how did it feel to start running when you got off you bike? What is it like cycling in a crowd of other cyclists?

The thing is with a triathlon that you just need to get to the end. You don't need to drown trying. I think that from speaking to most active people that they could probably do one straight off with no probs.

Oak :D
Oak

Re: Exciting

Postby fredrikw » Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:55 pm

Oak wrote:What is it like cycling in a crowd of other cyclists?

If I'm not mistaken you are not allowed to sit on another cyclists wheel when doing triathlon, if you are cought up by another cyclist you are supposed fall back or turn to the side until you no longer are able to utilize the draft (or whatever it's called in english :? ) At least that's what I'm heard from friends who compete in triathlon.
fredrikw
Site Admin

leg fatique

Postby prefab » Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:37 pm

Aye most tri's dua's are NO Drafting allowed. They actively ride around in cars and on motorcycles to make sure you have a few bike lengths otherswise time penalties.

Getting on the bike is a relief in a way, getting off the bike however is a BIATCH. You feel like you just woke up and someone threw you into a tiring ass run. Legs got some lactate and just don't want to function properly.

As for triathlon and duathlon, marathon etc..., they aren't gruel contests as most people make them out to be-just go your own pace. If you wanna do it for more than just fun and fitnes, setup a periodized training plan with some definite goals in mind. It'll make it that much easier to reach your goals w/o neglecting your other responsibilities too much.

GL :)
prefab

Postby JO » Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:37 pm

I did a season of triathlons almost 10 years ago and really anyone fit can do them. It's just a bit of a tradeoff between comfort/enjoying the ride and competitive output. Lots of high-output types in the longer triathlons wound up on IV drips at the finish line when the weather was particularly hot. Whatever the pace, though, it always feels like an accomplishment at the end!

JO
JO

Postby Renecarol25 » Sun May 02, 2004 12:25 pm

I'd love to do a triatholon.. actually I was hoping to do one this summer.. but I think you have to sign up months in advance to get a spot to compete. I guess I'm going to have to plan way in advance.. rather training for one and just doing it.
Renecarol25

Postby ultra_whippet » Sun May 02, 2004 2:09 pm

Was going to do a tri last month, but it filled up before I could get my entry in... probably just as well as my swimming is rubbish :wink:
Have entered one of the new breed of adventure races instead - kayaking/trail running/mountain biking. Should be interesting.
ultra_whippet

Postby Fruitbat » Wed May 05, 2004 8:45 am

Triathlons are something I have taken a sudden interest in but know nothing about and would not know how to go about start training for one and entering competitions etc... Gymnasts and triathletes are to me the ultimate athletes!
Fruitbat

Postby fredrikw » Wed May 05, 2004 8:53 am

Joel Friel has written a number of self coaching books, one of them is called something like "The triathlete's training bible". I have read "The cyclists training bible" and followed it strictly last year and I must say it was a very well written and good source of information and inspiration.

It lets you plan the training year based on a number of races that you plan to take part in, and it comes with a vast number of training exercises tha focuses on different abilities that varies throughout the training year.

As far as I know, he has written books on cycling, mtb, running and triathlon.
fredrikw
Site Admin

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness