vegan marshmallow recipes

Share your tasty and/or healthy recipes here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

vegan marshmallow recipes

Postby Rochellita » Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:02 pm

ok, so we are a health and fitness board- but we have to have cheat days :wink:

http://vegweb.com/food/sweets/3536.shtml

and

http://www.openharvest.com/ohthearchive ... llows.html

Andi's Vegan Marshmallows

2 1/2 T. vegetable gelatine
1 1/2 C. sugar
1 C. light corn syrup
1/2 C. cold water
1/2 C. water at room temperature
1/4 t. salt
2 T. vanilla extract (or flavoring of your choice)
Cornstarch for dusting

1.Combine Gel and 1/2 C. COLD water in the bowl of a mixer with a whisk attachment. Let stand for 1/2 hour.

2.Mix the sugar, corn syrup, salt, and 1/2 C. water in a saucepan. Stir it over low heat until the sugar is dissolved and a syrup has formed.

3.Cook it until firmball stage (244 degrees Fahrenheit on a candy thermometer.) Remove pan from heat, and slowly and carefully pour the syrup into the gelatin/water mixture in your mixer. Beat the mixture at high speed until thick, white, and tripled in size, approximately 15 minutes. (If you stop before this time, you will have marshmallow creme which you can store in a jar and use like the commercial stuff.) Add the vanilla and beat just long enough to incorporate it.

4.Dust an 8 x 12 glass baking pan with cornstarch. Pour mixture into pan, and dust the top with more cornstarch. Wet your hands and pat the mixture to smooth out the top. Dust again.

5.Let stand overnight to dry out, uncovered. Next morning turn the "marshmallow cake" out onto a board, and cut in into small pieces with a dry, HOT knife. Dust again. Makes about 45 marshmallows.
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby Mary » Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:40 pm

Woohoo! :D Séamus has just had his first ever vegan marshmallow, as a birthday present (the son and heir is eight today) and it is great to know we can go make some as well as buying from the ever Fantastic! Veganstore.

And I hadn't had marshmallows in about ten years, so talk about a blast from the past!

My sugar free days are up the swanny at the moment.

Rochelle, can I stick this recipe in the next Realfood newsletter?
Mary

Postby Rochellita » Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:44 pm

hi Mary

It's not my recipe- I nicked it off a site and I think they had already nicked it off another site. So modify it and it's yours:) I'll get the sugar thermometer tomorrow and the ingredients and have a go, I'm going to use agar-agar as the 'vegetarian gelatin' ingredient, not exactly sure what american vegetarian gelatin is but I'm guessing.

R
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby Mary » Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:07 pm

Let me know how it turns out, and I shall put your recipe review up. I'm also going to do a bit about how great this forum is, so hopefully you should get some new members.
Mary

Postby Rochellita » Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:36 pm

ok, finally acquired a sugar thermometer so I can start my marshmallow making mission, if they work out I'll make sure I make a bag for you for the Vegan Festival in a couple of weeks, Mary :wink: I'm guessing you'll need sugar.

R
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby Mary » Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:05 pm

Wahay! Now the day is worth the stress. ( :lol: teehee).

Just got contacted by a student documentary maker, who has been given an opportunity to pitch a documentary to Granada. Guess where he is filming? He wants to do a positive piece about the life affirming choices of vegetarians, and contrast it with the - well - life denying meat trade. He says he has been veggie since he was five for ethical reasons, so hopefully we can persuade him to go vegan.

I am really looking forward to the day - and not just for the marshmallows, but because I know by the end of it a lot of thoughtful people will have gone either veggie or vegan. We get that happen at the food fairs we do, when we feed about three hundred, so lets see how many people we can reach when we have two thousand through the door! Wahay! (again.)
Mary

Postby Malcolms Billy » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:30 pm

Rochelle wrote:ok, finally acquired a sugar thermometer so I can start my marshmallow making mission, if they work out I'll make sure I make a bag for you for the Vegan Festival in a couple of weeks, Mary :wink: I'm guessing you'll need sugar.

R

Oooooh, and I get to be guinea pig, don't I??!!!??!!! :P :P :twisted:

Billy :wink:
Malcolms Billy

Postby prenna » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:47 pm

Billy wrote:Oooooh, and I get to be guinea pig, don't I??!!!??!!! :P :P :twisted:

Hands off!! I'm first :lol:
prenna

Postby Malcolms Billy » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:25 pm

prenna wrote:
Billy wrote:Oooooh, and I get to be guinea pig, don't I??!!!??!!! :P :P :twisted:

Hands off!! I'm first :lol:

Oh yeah!? (stands tall, hands on hips, head to side - chewing gum) I don't think so mate! I knew her first!! :twisted:
Malcolms Billy

Postby mooovert » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:54 pm

sounds yummy. has anyone tried out the recipe? how tasty are they?
mooovert

Postby Rochellita » Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:19 pm

I tried. I failed. You need a good cake mixer with a motor than can withstand 15 minutes non-stop mixing to get the marshmallow sugar mix to go white and fluffy. I don't have a cake mixer and my food processor seriousl freaked out when I tried to run it so long, it just doesn't work in a food processor anyway..
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby Strix » Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:48 pm

Yes, you need a powerful mixer for this. I've experimented with marshmallows a lot. I've tried it with agar as well and it does not work. Vegetarian Times had a recipe for vegan mallows using agar a couple years ago and it did NOT work. I tried it three times too. I also tried my own experiments with agar and no luck. Maybe there is a way; I just haven't found it yet.
I do know the recipe you posted above looks just like (or maybe is) the recipe I have used for years and it is 100% reliable but only with a heavy-duty mixer. I use Emes kosher jel {here: http://www.healthy-eating.com/cereals_s ... Substitute }- this site is a great source for vegan items, by the way, and they also sell vegan marshmallows :) - (the flavored "jellos" are great too),
I'm planning on making these this week, actually, and, I could take pics and post them so you can see the process if you'd like.
I also use powdered sugar for dusting the marshmallows instead of straight starch because they come out too starchy.
"The hand that signed the paper felled a city;
Five sovereign fingers taxed the breath,
Doubled the globe of dead and halved a country;
These five kings did a king to death."
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Postby Mary » Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:51 pm

Anybody found the fabled holy grail of vegan sweets - vegan meringue? My experiments haven't failed - I invariably come up with something nice. Just not meringue.

While we are at it, swiss roll anyone?
Mary

Postby Strix » Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:10 pm

Well, Bryanna Clark Grogan has a no-bake vegan meringue.

I've tried a baked one and it's not reliable. It works only sometimes :? so I don't recommend it to people because if they try it, it is guaranteed not to work :lol: WHen it works, it's good because it browns a bit on the peaks like egg meringue. Of course, at the moment, I can't find the disk where I have my original recipes :cry: ...

She's posted this publicly, so I think it's okay to post it here; it can be found by a quick Google anyway:

*VEGAN FEAST: http://www.bryannaclarkgrogan.com/page/page/579094.htm

BRYANNA’S VEGAN “MERINGUE” TOPPING:

1 and 1/3 tsp. agar powder (or 2 T. + 2 tsp. agar flakes) mixed with 1/4 c. cold water
3/4 c. cold water
1/2 c. EnerG egg replacer powder (only this one will whip up sufficiently)
1/2 c. light unbleached or white beet sugar
4 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. lemon extract

Mix the agar and water in a small saucepan and let sit for about 5 minutes. Stir over medium heat until it simmers, then allow to simmer 1 minute.

In a deep medium bowl, beat the egg replacer and 3/4 c. water in a small, deep bowl, with electric mixer on HI. Use a small or large stand mixer, a handheld elcectric mixer or egg beater, or a beater attachment (whire whip type) for a food processor or immersion blender, You have to beat it for for 12 minutes (yes, 12!!), or until thick, white, and forms peaks. Beat in the sugar, vanilla and lemon extract, then the cooked agar mixture. Beat well to distribute the agar evenly. When smooth and glossy, cool it in the refrigerate. It will firm up. Beat it again briefly, then pile the mixture around the edge of the cooled pie (remove any paper or plastic covering ), leaving the edge of the crust and the center showing. Make little “peaks” in the "meringue" with the back of a spoon. Refrigerate until ready to serve.(This will keep only a day.)
"The hand that signed the paper felled a city;
Five sovereign fingers taxed the breath,
Doubled the globe of dead and halved a country;
These five kings did a king to death."
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Postby Mary » Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:13 pm

Yahoo! Hip Hip Hooray!
Mary

Next

Return to Vegan Recipes