Wing Chun

Styles, training, conditioning, equipment - everything related to Martial Arts.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Wing Chun

Postby Niranjana » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:08 pm

Any Wing Chun practitioners on this forum? Let's discuss some ideas on combining physical training with Wing Chun (both drills and the form) with nutrition and sleep.

Speak to you soon,

Niranjana
Niranjana

Postby pandiriver » Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:33 pm

Hello!

I am new to this forum and was given the URL when asking some soy questions on another vegan board... thinking of turning vegan but I am worried about my protein intake, of course. anyhoo.. I practice the leung ting wing tsun system! =) try to do 10 sets of chum-kiu, 10 sets of snt and 2000 chainpunches a day :twisted: also I do some snt on one leg to strengthen the legs... and some gym exercises that hit the triceps and inside of the thighs... and 8 hrs of sleep of course 8)
please reveganise me =(
pandiriver

Postby Rochellita » Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:44 pm

welcome, I love the quote, I'm definitely a promoe fan :D

http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/vege ... letes.html

This link has some good information on vegan diet and sport, in particular the bit about protein is useful to you. It's a good site to learn about sound vegan nutrition in general. Keep us updated and I hope you find the board useful.

"Power for Protein

Strength and endurance athletes both have increased protein needs.1 Protein, composed of chains of molecules called amino acids, plays an important role in the building, maintenance, and repair of the tissues of the body, including muscle. There are 20 different amino acids in the foods we eat, but our body can make only 11 of them. The 9 essential amino acids which cannot be produced by the body must be obtained from the diet. A diet based on a variety of grains, legumes, and vegetables easily provides all of the essential amino acids. It was once thought that various plant foods had to be eaten together to get their full protein value, a method known as "protein combining" or "complementing." We now know that intentional combining is not necessary to obtain all of the essential amino acids.9 Concentrated protein sources include tofu, soymilk, tempeh, seitan, and various meat analogues which can be purchased in any health food store or the vegetarian section of your grocery store.

Protein requirements are very individualized and are primarily dependent upon body size. The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for the average, sedentary or lightly active adult is 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight per day.10 For most people, this is more than enough. However, some authorities believe that protein needs for athletes may range from 1.2 to 1.7 grams per kilogram of body weight per day for the highly active adult athlete.5,11 Tips for meeting your protein needs are included in the table below.

It is important to keep in mind that while some protein will be broken down into amino acids for fuel during exercise, the primary role of protein is for structure and support. While protein needs are increased in the diet of athletes, adequate (10 to 15 percent of calories or enough to meet your calculated requirements), but not excess, protein should be consumed. Protein should come from plant sources, rather than meat, dairy products, and eggs, which are devoid of fiber and complex carbohydrates. Emphasis should be placed on a diet that is high carbohydrate to ensure that protein is spared for those activities it does best: the building and repairing of body tissues, including muscle.
Tips for Meeting Protein Needs
Top salads with a variety of beans, including chick peas, kidney beans, great northern beans, and black beans. These legumes have as much as 7 to 10 grams of protein per serving.
Shake it up! Blend non-dairy frozen desserts or soft tofu with your favorite fresh or frozen fruits with soy or rice milk for a thick, delicious, creamy, high-protein shake.
Marinated tempeh or veggie burgers grilled on a bun or added to pasta sauce, offer a quick protein boost to any meal.
On the go? Sports bars and soy powder shakes are quick and convenient supplements that can help increase the protein content of any well-balanced vegetarian diet."
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby pandiriver » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:01 pm

thx :D

I have recently found some cheap soy protein powder that is roughly the same price as the cheap whey protein I normally eat... the taste was not the best (no additives like the whey has) but it seems it is not so rough on my stomach :D

promoe <<-- swedish rapper. his latest album is excellent 8)
please reveganise me =(
pandiriver

Postby Rochellita » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:08 pm

It's getting easier and easier to get soy protein these days- though I'm not sure about Sweden. We have a fair amount of choice in the UK and vegan hemp protein powder is due on the market soon.

I have promoe's 'government music', it's a firm favourite. Will definitely need to check out his latest. He doesn't ever seem to tour the UK which is a shame!

Rochelle
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby pandiriver » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:21 pm

I buy soyprotein at the health food store. unlike the whey powder it has no flavour added which is a good thing in my book anyway 8) it does however taste not so good.. at the moment I am mixing it with milk (shame on me) but I'm gonna try with water some day. hemp protein seems a good idea, that plant never cease to amaze me. too bad it has such a bad name in sweden and there are absolutely no hemp products anywhere, not even hemp seeds to eat for breakfast :(

the latest promoe album also features a version of black uhurus "fit you haffe fit". quite amazing to see people jump around to the track singing "me a strictly vegan" along with it without even thinking :D
please reveganise me =(
pandiriver

Postby fredrikw » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:19 pm

pandiriver wrote:I buy soyprotein at the health food store. unlike the whey powder it has no flavour added which is a good thing in my book anyway 8) it does however taste not so good.. at the moment I am mixing it with milk (shame on me) but I'm gonna try with water some day. hemp protein seems a good idea, that plant never cease to amaze me. too bad it has such a bad name in sweden and there are absolutely no hemp products anywhere, not even hemp seeds to eat for breakfast :(

since we're both from sweden I would guess that we use the same product, Naturell's soy protein, which seem to be available at most health food stores. I mix one banana, about 3 dl of alpro soy milk, two tespoons of cocoa powder and two tablespoons of soy protein. the banana and the cocoa powder makes the bad taste of the soy protein go away completely. i guess you could increase the amount of protein (the above mix gives you about 30 gr of protein), but i like as it is...

you can actually buy hemp seeds from well stocked health food stores, at least in stockholm
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby pandiriver » Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:15 am

yes naturell's soy protein it is.. the taste is something else :shock: thx for the recipe - bit expensive with the soymilk that's all :cry:

I tend to go over to the hempstore in copenhagen for my seeds :D
please reveganise me =(
pandiriver

Postby Niranjana » Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:55 am

Wing Chun People,

Please share your training routines -I only have a wall bag by way of equipment and no training partner -so tend to do drills of punches (series of 1, 3, 5 and 7 punches at 3 sets of 10) and stamp kicks (pyramids upto 10 and back) and some (very) basic footwork and form work.

I need some serious guidance and would appreciate any ideas from your routines and experience.

Second to this, please also let me know of your strength training and conditioning supplementary regimes.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.
Niranjana

Postby Mary » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:21 am

pandiriver wrote:yes naturell's soy protein it is.. the taste is something else :shock: thx for the recipe - bit expensive with the soymilk that's all :cry:

If you can get whole almonds then here is a secret for you - you don't need soya to make milk. Soak a handful of almonds over night, in the morning put them in the blender and whizz them up till the water turns white. (You can make tonnes of the stuff, or just a little, depending on how you feel. I would say a handful to a cup of water would be okay, though the proportion should vary depending how you like your milk.) Anyway, that should make it a bit cheaper.

Also, try soaking sun flower seeds in water over night, whizz them up into milk. But trust me, almonds are the food of the gods. :D
Mary

Postby pandiriver » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:40 am

hello niranjana!

my daily WT practice goes something like this...
I do one SNT (siu-nim-tau), then one CK (chum-kiu) then I do 200 punches on my wall bag
that I do 10 times. all in all 2000 punches, 10 SNT and 10 CK.
sometimes I do drills like gaun-dar, pak-dar, tan-dar, and so on, and do those over and over alternating the hands. and some footwork drills, most of the secrets of WT is the footwork I have learnt, so I do some basic stepping around, some plum-flower footwork.

throughout all this I try to focus on my elbows, where they are - if the are as low as they can get, and my stance of course :roll:

one trick I learnt from Leung Tings book Wing Tsun Kuen (it's a bit outdated and old fashioned but good imho) is to do SNT standing on one leg with the other leg stretched forward like a front kick to build strenght in your legs.

I like to complement this with some Qi-Gong, in the alliance we have a sweet qi-gong system that has a lot of common with the WT stance and whatever.

that is about all I do at home... and as much rolling hands as I can at the club =)

apart from WT I work out at the gym 4 times a week, probably not a good idea 'cause it probably leads to me using brute force instead of WT technique to get power but... I like the gym, and the back and the triceps are good WT muscles! also I do 20minutes work out on the stairmaster down at the gym maybe 3 times a week. and escrima of course... mmmm....
please reveganise me =(
pandiriver

Postby pandiriver » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:41 am

mary: thx a bunch!
please reveganise me =(
pandiriver

Postby Niranjana » Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:20 pm

Hey thanks for this!

I've also started Escrima this year too!

I'd like to explore this whole:

Vegan/Veg diet + Wing Chun + Escrima + Conditioning +Meditative lifestyle aspect with you further...

...speak to you soon.
Niranjana

Postby pandiriver » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:11 am

what lineage/style/whatever of WC are you practicing? and what escrima system?

personally I am addicted to the WC system it is sooooo sweet 8) and speaking of meditative lifestyle I am planning to add some zen meditation to my "workout schedule". I used to do that, cleared my mind a lot -> made for better life all together. I feel the same about vegan diet too... I feel much cleaner inside. and somehow all this meditation/qi-gong/yoga/vegan dieting (ok so I turned vegan as of today, but the milk/egg diet I was on worked quite good too) keeps on giving me more and more feel for how my body works which just turns into better WT =D I find it easier to keep track of where my arms are and all =)

just recently I have started realising just how important the pressure forward is, makes everything a lot easier :D
please reveganise me =(
pandiriver

Postby prenna » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:21 am

Niranjana wrote:I've also started Escrima this year too!

Excellent! I love Filipino martial arts. Most of my FMA study comes from Lacoste-Inosanto Kali.
prenna

Next

Return to Martial Arts