Without action Veganfitness shuts down in 9 months

If you are a new user, please see the "About Vegan Fitness" article here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, stateofflux, bronco, veganfitness

Without action Veganfitness shuts down in 9 months

Postby Lordmuppet » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:39 am

updated to say you can support Veganfitness.net with a single payment or a regular monthly payment here http://www.veganfitness.net/home/content/support-us#donate

updated amounts to show we are 75% there money wise. Albeit 100% would mean no room for error so ideally would want more than 100%

updated to add: So checked the bank account which I'd assumed was empty and there's currently about $100 in there along with two people who are regularly contributing about $13.82 a month between them. So money that comes in from them is about 75% of what's needed. Of course I'd like to emphasis it's not just a money problem, we need someone to run the site. At the end of the year i'll be stepping down.

Hi everyone,

Hopefully I have your attention because this is important.

So here's the situation.

Around about January 2015, Veganfitness.net ran out of money to continue to pay for hosting. This also meant that, because it had always got a free ride on VFs hosting, greatveganathletes.com ran out of money.

As a short term solution, those of us that now work on GVA paid out of our own pocket for a years hosting for both VF and GVA with http://www.veganwebhosting.com. This is out of recognition and gratitude that GVA grew out of this community and that VF gave GVA a free ride for several years. So the VF money for this year is a gift from the GVA team and we don't require it to be repaid by anyone.

However, it's important to note that these hosting packages are separate. So we are invoiced for GVA and we are invoiced for VF.

So after December 2015 we will not continue to pay for VF and VF may need to find it's own funding.

I say may because we are currently asking for funding for GVA from various sources to give it a better hosting package as it is straining the current one. This funding if we got it would give us enough money to give GVA it's own server. If this happens it won't cost us anything to give VF a free ride.

There is, however, a good chance that this won't happen.

This is because there are a very small number of us working on GVA and there's just only so many free hours in any given week. To give you an idea it took about three months simply to move everything over to veganhosting, get it working again and pump out a single grant application. Add to this that we are asking for a not insubstantial amount of money (about 2k dollars for two years hosting). Everyone here needs to understand there is a very big chance we won't get this funding or won't get it by the end of the year

The continuation of VF is, of course, not simply a problem of money ...

Myself and Talyn are pretty much the only people working on VF now and neither of us has time to do the basic maintenance necessary. As a result, even new members aren't getting confirmed. There's also no one really running the social media channels or anything else. I check in from time to time to see it hasn't caught fire.

Aside from the money issue, if people want VF to continue now is the time for someone to step up and help run it. Otherwise even with money it will probably die a slow death.

So what can you do?

So if GVA doesn't get its 2k, VF will need at least 200 dollars a year to keep going. I say at least because the hosting is being strained and we think it's GVA that's straining it but it's not yet clear.

Donations are great but they are only ever a stop gap and they require someone each year to drive it. So what's really needed is someone to drive fundraising on a yearly basis.

You could help apply for grants for GVA hosting money that would give VF a free ride. This may be easier than fundraising for VF directly. GVA now gets more traffic than VF and it's easier to show the activism impact because we have stats on the social shares (at least over 30 a month now in a bad month. 90 in a good month) and also the number of people that click a pledge banner for a 30 day vegan pledge (over 500 clicks a month now).

You could help administer VF and verify new users.

Anything else you can think of.
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Re: Without action Veganfitness shuts down in 9 months

Postby silver » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:41 pm

I'm onsite pretty much daily, so I'd be happy to take on a basic admin role.
Sadly I'm hopeless at fundraising and, well, basic communication of any sort.
Quite happy to welcome new users and keep the trolls at bay though.
It's a role I've done before.
Would that help?
It's not what you do occasionally that makes a difference, it's that which you do everyday that brings progress.

http://www.thesilverman.co.uk

Strava-https://www.strava.com/athletes/2077466
silver
User Activation Admin

Postby Lordmuppet » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:35 pm

[quote="silver"]I'm onsite pretty much daily, so I'd be happy to take on a basic admin role.
Sadly I'm hopeless at fundraising and, well, basic communication of any sort.
Quite happy to welcome new users and keep the trolls at bay though.
It's a role I've done before.
Would that help?

Hey there,

Yeah so verifying users is really easy to do but would be great if you could take that over.

Probably easiest way to fundraise would be just to keep an eye on how many monthly donors there are and encourage more if the number of donors falls too low. To start with the number of donors obviously needs to increase by a few (doesn't need that many). Ten people at even just $2 each a month would transform the situation.

but yeah the ideal way this works is the work is spread around so say you'd do registrations and someone else would take care of the fundraising/donor problem
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby blinki » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:20 pm

I don't have much time and I agree GVA keeping going is more of a priority (FB has killed forums really but it'd be nice if VF got to keep going as practically for free) but I'm happy to see if I can make myself useful in some way since fundraising is what I do- with the limitation of I only have a few years experience and not in anything related to veganism or fitness. If you think I could be useful with something then give me some details and I can work out what what I could realistically commit to.
blinki

Postby Lordmuppet » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:33 pm

[quote="blinki"]I don't have much time and I agree GVA keeping going is more of a priority (FB has killed forums really but it'd be nice if VF got to keep going as practically for free) but I'm happy to see if I can make myself useful in some way since fundraising is what I do- with the limitation of I only have a few years experience and not in anything related to veganism or fitness. If you think I could be useful with something then give me some details and I can work out what what I could realistically commit to.

Hi Blinki,

Yeah i had remembered that you work in Fundraising but been too busy keeping things afloat to reach out.

Even if you could just create a list of places that we should be looking to apply to that would be really helpful. Ideally if we gave you the vegfund application you would use that complete some but hey even if you could just create a list for us to work on that would be very helpful. We currently have a application sitting with Vegfund but so far that's it.

We have really big dreams for GVA :)

edited to add: It's important to note the importance of VF.net as an archive. Here's just some of the things that individual threads rank for in google. Anything in top 10 is valuable.

vegan fitness 1
is margarine vegan 9
creatine water retention 11
is whey vegan 4
are clif bars vegan 8
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby blinki » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:46 pm

[quote="Lordmuppet"]Hi Blinki,

Yeah i had remembered that you work in Fundraising but been too busy keeping things afloat to reach out.

Even if you could just create a list of places that we should be looking to apply to that would be really helpful. Ideally if we gave you the vegfund application you would use that complete some but hey even if you could just create a list for us to work on that would be very helpful. We currently have a application sitting with Vegfund but so far that's it.

We have really big dreams for GVA :)

edited to add: It's important to note the importance of VF.net as an archive. Here's just some of the things that individual threads rank for in google. Anything in top 10 is valuable.

vegan fitness 1
is margarine vegan 9
creatine water retention 11
is whey vegan 4
are clif bars vegan 8

I hadn't thought as an archive but yeah, it's often a high search result even in things I'd not expect and that is a serious lacking of FB groups

I can have a look for options, it's not that big a job so can probably do more with a 9 month time scale. I'm in public sector contracts just now so don't have access to trustfunding.org.uk (by far the best database there is) but if you/anyone happens to know someone who might have access to it it's worth asking them to see if they'd mind running a few relevant search and giving a copy and paste of potential funder names.

Do you know what your expectation is? Because TBH I think you are going to run out of good matches like veg fund very quickly and get into the realms of more tedious arguments for funding. At which point you typically go high volume because of higher rejection rate, I'm not sure if you want to go there? Without knowing much I'd suspect getting a one year grant would be ideal in that it buys time to develop a more sustainable donation/sponsorship funding base. If you get to doing higher volume grant applying then there's an argument you might as well have spent that energy on the longer term sustainability.

Have you looked at pollination? It's already a more tedious argument in that GVA isn't that new but if you have plans for further development then I think the argument could be made. Though if it's a UK bank account paying a US hosting company there may be issues with US tax stuff but I'm sure they can clarify that.
blinki

Postby Lordmuppet » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:01 pm

Yeah it's a shame how bad fb groups are as archives. So much time wasted with people asking the same questions, again and again ...

I may have access to that funding database through the charity I work for

Yeah the idea is to get the grant to buy us some time to find a more sustainable model. We already have some ideas but we lack the people to execute them. Last year was concentrated on getting more committed volunteers onboard but turns out that's quite a hard thing to find. People want to help but struggle to make the time.
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby silver » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:59 pm

Set me up the permissions I need and I'll take on verifying users straight away.
It's not what you do occasionally that makes a difference, it's that which you do everyday that brings progress.

http://www.thesilverman.co.uk

Strava-https://www.strava.com/athletes/2077466
silver
User Activation Admin

Postby blinki » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:03 pm

It's individual accounts rather than organisation but it'd be a few min job for someone to have a look for you. Any decent sized charity without someone having account needs their heads check.

I'll have a look otherwise and see if I can clarify if pollination is worth a try and let you know on the next week or two.
blinki

Postby Lordmuppet » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:06 am

[quote="blinki"]It's individual accounts rather than organisation but it'd be a few min job for someone to have a look for you. Any decent sized charity without someone having account needs their heads check.

I'll have a look otherwise and see if I can clarify if pollination is worth a try and let you know on the next week or two.

Just to flag a possible problem: neither VF or GVA exists as an organisation on paper.
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby Lordmuppet » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:13 am

[quote="silver"]Set me up the permissions I need and I'll take on verifying users straight away.

awesome. The way VF works is by consensus so to upgrade anyone's permissions I post in the mods forum and if no one has a problem with it (As i'm sure they won't) within a week then we can set you up :)

edited to say: meant a week not a month.

Also this is what was decided on funding previously

"FUNDING MODEL: Proposal is that the site will forgo any sponsorship/advertising and will fund itself entirely from grants and member donations. Proposal includes an exception for google ads. Proposal allows that other exceptions (e.g. maybe youtube) could be added by consensus later. The primary orientation of the funding model shall be for grants/member donations. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24545"
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby tal » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:54 am

Thanks for posting this.

Myself like many others have been lax with the forum lately and this is a shame.

Personally my situation is not really going to change. I have two significant life events going on / continuing until the end of this year and I'm not going to get enough time to contribute in a meaningful way.

Playing devils advocate here, but is there an appetite from the members here to keep this place going??
tal

Postby Lordmuppet » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:41 am

[quote="Talyn"]Thanks for posting this.

Myself like many others have been lax with the forum lately and this is a shame.

Personally my situation is not really going to change. I have two significant life events going on / continuing until the end of this year and I'm not going to get enough time to contribute in a meaningful way.

Playing devils advocate here, but is there an appetite from the members here to keep this place going??

it's a fair question but it's why i was advocating for it's continued existence even just as an archive
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby blinki » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:54 am

I'd not especially mind if VF had posts turned off if need but but I think it should exist as an achieve if that can be done without too much hassle. But then if the archive exists it's probably not much more hassle to keep it as a forum.

[quote="Lordmuppet"]Just to flag a possible problem: neither VF or GVA exists as an organisation on paper.

That could be a significant problem, not necessarily for Polination but for having options. Would GVA have a problem with making it exist on paper? If a constitution is a problem I'm sure I can acquire a simple one that doesn't need much tweaking

[quote="Lordmuppet"]Also this is what was decided on funding previously

"FUNDING MODEL: Proposal is that the site will forgo any sponsorship/advertising and will fund itself entirely from grants and member donations. Proposal includes an exception for google ads. Proposal allows that other exceptions (e.g. maybe youtube) could be added by consensus later. The primary orientation of the funding model shall be for grants/member donations. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24545"

I'd think GVA could be missing an opportunity on something like a vegan glove maker on the fighter page. Don't think anyone would want to sponsor VF though. I'd not see it as a deal breaker if there's regular donor development but like I said before, grants aren't a sustainable option for something so niche.
blinki

Postby Lordmuppet » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:57 pm

- Just to be clear, i wasn't suggesting turning off posts. It'll cost same to keep posts on as to have them turned off so might as well keep them turned on.

- I think GVA board would be okay with it existing on paper. That is the plan down the road anyway. Only reason we haven't done it is time and money. We'd probably like to do some thinking about the form it takes on paper though beforehand.

- So to clarify I should have said that that funding agreement applies to VF not to GVA. However, GVA board has generally been pretty against sponsorship. But yeah like you said there needs to be a more sustainable strategy than applying for grants. Donors is one possibility. We've never tried putting a donor button on the GVA site so don't know how it would do. That said, the VF donor 'support us' tab hasn't really produced much. Another possibility is becoming a wing of one of the bigger vegan organisations and using their resources. Merchandising should certainly be started as a stream but we need a logo for that and despite my efforts to try to get volunteers to make one, GVA has no logo. So yeah all options haven't been pursued due to lack of people-power.

If you have extra time after drawing up the grant list, some strategy suggestions on a sustainable model would be very valuable given your background as a pro fundraiser.

-
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Next

Return to About Vegan Fitness