Aspartame (etc.)--bad for you?

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Aspartame (etc.)--bad for you?

Postby jamesndawson » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:04 pm

This summer I discovered a carbonated drink called Golazo. It's sweetened with stevia, not aspartame or sucralose, so I bought and drank several six-packs of it. For years, I shunned pop because the diet kind, the only kind I drank, had aspartame in it which I'd read horror stories about, and also because I had dental issues and heard that carbonated drinks were corrosive to tooth enamel. (I take excellent care of my teeth, so I don't have any present worries about them. I get good check-ups.) I also discovered at the same store, Grocery Outlet, a pop called Honest Fizz, that I think may have stevia, but also erythritol and bought a few six-packs of that.

These, like most products at the Grocery Outlet are very sporadically stocked and they've been out of both of these, but I've come to enjoy my occasional glass of pop. Should I just go ahead and by the pop with aspartame and/or sucralose, or are these sweeteners really as unhealthy as they've been claimed to be all these years? Or are they okay, and the claims against them like those against MSG, which I've recently found out isn't the poison it's always been reputed to be?

Are aspartame and sucralose really that bad? Are the claims against it science-based?
James
jamesndawson

Re: Aspartame (etc.)--bad for you?

Postby mo! » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:30 pm

I dont have a scientific paper atm, but i heard from a reliable source, that the amount of aspartame in the diet drinks are that low, that its not effecting the body in the way people like to tell their horror stories. Its made bigger, than it is. Its probably unhealthier to eat non organic bell pepper. So its Government produces panic to cover other shit thats happening up. *logic* :mrgreen:
mo!

Postby jamesndawson » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:11 pm

Thanks mo! I probably will just go ahead and by some aspartame pop once in a while. It's nice to shed all these pointless restrictions.
James
jamesndawson

Postby tal » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:49 pm

Aspartame is fine. Do not worry about it at all.

No study has ever shown it is a problem when not consumed in gigantic doses - like if you consume tens of litres of diet soda per day.
tal

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating