Riding for the first time in 22 years

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Riding for the first time in 22 years

Postby Superflor » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:09 pm

So yeah, public transport in London has been killing me so I got a second hand Apollo Outrider 2 days ago which has defo seen better days but the shop got it into a "roadworthy" condition. I am waiting for a cycling proficiency course as I learnt to ride in the countryside as a kid, and as this post title shows, have not ridden outside of a gym in 22 years. Read the Highway Code for cyclists last night and am fairly nervous when it comes to parked cars with traffic coming up behind. I am finding the pollution fairly bad so just ordered a mask from ebay. Got a helmet and am waiting for a fluoro vest and might order some reflective tape.

Any suggestions for gps holders which don't take up much room on the handlebars cos seems there's not much room what with the gears and the bell. Was also considering a wing mirror cos am a bit rubbish at looking over my shoulder and there seems to be a blind spot from my glasses frames.

In general am fairly happy to be riding again but any guidance and tips for cycling in London would be gratefully received.
Superflor

Re: Riding for the first time in 22 years

Postby silver » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:40 pm

I've ridden London as a courier a long time ago. It can be hugely fun.

Tips.

Get some good bright rechargeable lights and take a leaf out of motorcyclists books and turn them on ALL the time you are riding.
It makes a huge difference to drivers attitudes.
cree XML torches on ebay can be reasonably priced and some come with bike fittings.
I have a Lezyne rear light that is stupidly bright. (although they've had a bad time with some of their mounts, which is why I have one. I picked it up off the road...)

Be very positive about road position, if the lane is narrow, use it all, or car/taxi/bus drivers do try and squeeze past.
Never undertake. Go round the outside, (that's where the bright lights really help too.)

Find quiet(er) routes and really enjoy your riding :)
It's not what you do occasionally that makes a difference, it's that which you do everyday that brings progress.

http://www.thesilverman.co.uk

Strava-https://www.strava.com/athletes/2077466
silver
User Activation Admin

Return to Cycling Forum