Respiratory Trainers

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Respiratory Trainers

Postby GenTDuke » Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:17 am

I was thinking if purchasing the Ultra Breath trainer, has anyone got any experience with such devices.
I am gifted with 5.33 lungs but my lungs muscles are not so strong: according to some tests I took at UNI.

http://www.ultrabreathe.com/ebaylink.htm
GenTDuke

Postby Myrddin » Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:53 am

I've got the Powerbreathe (red - performance model) I reckon its great. I don't know what ultrabreathe is like. I'd trust powerbreathe as its made in the UK and looks well made. BUT I have trouble doing it night and day on top of my other exercises. But if you can make the time (it only takes a couple of minutes - its just that I get overwhelmed with all the exercises I have to do!) I reckon its worth it. I notice the link was an ebay link - I hope for your sake that its new!

Adam
"Morality dictates that I live Vegan"
Earth Crisis
Myrddin

Ehh?

Postby Oak » Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:21 pm

Hey,

What are you dudes talking about?

What's an ultra breather or a power breather?

I am doing swimming lessons at the moment and have been told that i have lungs of steel. Don't know if this is a good or bad thing. Am i sinking all the time or am i pretty darn good at holding my breath. :lol:

Oak :D
Oak

Postby GenTDuke » Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:29 pm

You should find out your lung capacity, 3 to 4 litres is normal 5 is great and six is elite.

These devices are used to improve the rate at which you can breath in and out, in order to improve cardiovascular performance.
GenTDuke

Postby JO » Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:33 pm

Hello, GTD.

Is that respiratory trainer product anything like the "expand-a-lung" device advertised in swimming magazines (www.expand-a-lung.com)?

Maybe at the university human performance lab they will give me a package deal if I get both lung capacity and BF% measurements whenever I go to get the BF% measured.

JO
JO

Postby GenTDuke » Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:27 pm

It is a similar product, that one is very reasonable in price. You should get your self a BF% device, they only cost a couple of pounds, unless you prefer the traditional method, there is only a slight deviance in result in my experience.
GenTDuke

Postby GenTDuke » Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:40 pm

My trainer kicks ass, my lungs are so much stronger now. A word of caution though dont use them a day before running as I did: my respiratory muscles gave out and I could not force oxygen into my lungs at pace, it was scary I thought it was my heart, very weird feeling.
GenTDuke

Postby Oak » Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:58 pm

What respiritory trainer are using now GenTDuke?

These are the websites that have the models talked about
www.ultrabreathe.com
www.powerbreathe.com

I'm going to check out the red sports model, they sell one in my local bike shop apparently.

So what results have you had Myrddin?

I quite like the idea of these things. Could help with my triathlon training?

Oak :D
Oak

Postby GenTDuke » Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:36 pm

I bought the Ultra Breath, it was only 20 quid compared to 50 for the other one.
GenTDuke

Postby Mary » Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:40 pm

GenTDuke wrote:You should find out your lung capacity, 3 to 4 litres is normal 5 is great and six is elite.

Oh, wow! You are kidding, right? My doctor tested my lung capacity when I was asthmatic (I'm not any more) and between attacks my lung capacity was 5.6. How the hell did that happen? (My asthma disappeared over night when I went vegan. Now, I wonder why that was?)
Mary

Postby GenTDuke » Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:52 pm

Mary wrote:
GenTDuke wrote:You should find out your lung capacity, 3 to 4 litres is normal 5 is great and six is elite.

Oh, wow! You are kidding, right? My doctor tested my lung capacity when I was asthmatic (I'm not any more) and between attacks my lung capacity was 5.6. How the hell did that happen? (My asthma disappeared over night when I went vegan. Now, I wonder why that was?)

I think lung cpacity is mostly genetic, but I am not sure, if you had severe asthma like an attack everyday that would be the eqiverlent of using these trainers, using it reminds me of my asthma I used to suffer from back in the day.
GenTDuke

Postby Mary » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:04 pm

Just talking to my brother, and he has a high lung capacity too - he goes mountain climbing, hill running, trains the kids in his school in football, and mountain cycling. He had appalling asthma as a kid, and when I asked him if he had heard of lung capacity he said his was 5.6 as well - snap. So it could be genetic. Or in Joe's case an extremely active lifestyle - especially for a chemistry teacher!

He was incredibly poorly as a child, and I remember the year he decided he was sick of being sick. He started fitness training long before I saw the virtue of it. He's a brown belt in Wado Ryu by the way - but got it when he was a teenager, and hasn't trained since our mum died. He hopes to get back into it when he finds a good teacher.
Mary

Postby John » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:56 pm

Just got a powerbreathe today. I got the red one, it whistles when I breahte out and my brothers dog doesnt seem to appreciate that.
John

Postby Mary » Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:25 am

John wrote:Just got a powerbreathe today. I got the red one, it whistles when I breahte out and my brothers dog doesnt seem to appreciate that.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mary

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness