Cutters Corner

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Cutters Corner

Postby sergio » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:31 pm

[quote="Mellos"]Best diet for me has always been keto. So no carbs for 6 days and then normal eating for the seventh. After that: repeat. You could eat seitan, egg free mayonnaise, tofu, all kinds of nuts, protein powders and oil heavy salads, protein-bread, low sugar peanut butter etc

If you eat enough fats, you won't even be hungry while losing weight. And if you are losing muscle or strength doing this then you should seriously look into your training (program).

How long can you stick to this diet? Low-carb vegan diets seems a contradiction in terms for me. I think I couldn't keep a diet without grains and legumes for too long... Also, any "rebound" effects when you quit?
I accidentally replaced all of my blood with coffee.
sergio

Postby purple_mog » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:15 pm

I figure this is the best place to ask :-)

I'm trying to calorie count (first time for everything) partly as a way of focusing my eating on nutrient dense foods, plus hopefully losing some excess fat/weight.

Finding it tricky to work out my BMR (basal metabolic rate) as in I've found two different formulae, a bunch of webapps and then another website that takes into account activity levels, all of which give different answers. The standard NHS website suggests 1400 calories which frankly leaves me light headed and weird unless I am stationary and ill on the sofa!

So any recommendations would be appreciated :-)

Secondly - if you are calorie counting, do you add up intake then subtract BMR, and subtract calories burned from exercise?

Apologies for the very basic questions!

On a good note - I'm loving the Appetite for Reduction cookbook :-D
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

Postby blinki » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:55 pm

[quote="purple_mog"]I figure this is the best place to ask :-)

I'm trying to calorie count (first time for everything) partly as a way of focusing my eating on nutrient dense foods, plus hopefully losing some excess fat/weight.

Finding it tricky to work out my BMR (basal metabolic rate) as in I've found two different formulae, a bunch of webapps and then another website that takes into account activity levels, all of which give different answers. The standard NHS website suggests 1400 calories which frankly leaves me light headed and weird unless I am stationary and ill on the sofa!

So any recommendations would be appreciated :-)

Secondly - if you are calorie counting, do you add up intake then subtract BMR, and subtract calories burned from exercise?

Apologies for the very basic questions!

On a good note - I'm loving the Appetite for Reduction cookbook :-D

This has been what I've found most accurate. It's aimed at bulking so you couldn't follow the maths exactly as it says. It adds your calories burnt through exercise onto everyday, since you don't train every day you end up with a surplus. I'd suggest you work it out as total calories required per week for maintenance, average it per day and start with 500 less per day, reduce as required.
blinki

Postby purple_mog » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:42 pm

thanks! I'm very roughly estimating calories burned from exercise based on MapMyRun, not sure how accurate that is either mind.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

Postby ninearms » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:46 pm

“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby purple_mog » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:37 pm

Thanks! Very cool app indeed - I may have to play with it to make the most of it, but loving the variations in calculations too :-D

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

Postby purple_mog » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:58 pm

Sorry for hogging the thread!

So I'm counting fairly closely both calories eaten and expended on exercise. When I subtract my exercise calories I'm averaging between 1200 and 1400 per day. (Daily exercise is beyween 200 and 800 cals depending)
My RMR works out about 1615 plus activity factor giving me about a daily allowance of 2000.

Does this sound about right? I've not had a chance to work out my nutrient intakes but basically am eating whole foods, lots of veggies and fruit and very little processed stuff.
Sorry for all the questions but I'm new to all the counting stuff.

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

Postby purple_mog » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:03 pm

Bumping in case anyone has any input :-)

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

Postby blinki » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:43 pm

I wasn't sure I understood what you were saying. RBR=1600 so eat 1200-14000 plus exercise calories which usually works out around 2000 calories? That sounds reasonable but the maths is always a starting point, you'll know how it's really going given a few weeks of doing it
blinki

Postby purple_mog » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:54 pm

Sorry for the confusion :-)
Using various calculation options I seem to come out as requiring about 2000 calories incl bmr and general activities but not actual exercise.
So am I right in thinking that I should aim for intake of 1600 approx daily? For moderate sensible fat loss.
And when I exercise I can eat back most of those calories so long as it still works out around 1600m

E.g. on one day I consumed approx 1700 calories but expended approx 800 calories in additional exercise
So I've actually ended up eating way under what I am aiming for?

I do struggle with balancing my blood sugar and have noticed being more irritable and hungry so wondered if I was perhaps undereating on my heavier exercise days.

Hope that makes more sense this time round and thanks for replying :-)

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

Previous

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating