Handstand pushups

Home of strength: powerlifting, olympic lifting, grip strength, strongman, odd object lifting, explosive power...

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Handstand pushups

Postby willpeavy » Thu May 26, 2005 3:31 am

Has anyone on here pulled off a handstand pushup? I'm working on it. They're pretty hard, so it should feel good once I can get this exercise down.
willpeavy

Postby Joe C » Thu May 26, 2005 4:11 am

Cool, good luck with doing that, Will. Take a pic when you finally get it, would be good to see that. 8) I can't currently do a handstand ... something I might try to work on later this year. I also think I'm gonna become obsessed with trying to do a one-arm pullup ... long way to go on that one, too.

I love parlor tricks! :D
Joe C

Postby bronco » Thu May 26, 2005 1:51 pm

Hey, now i feel like doing them too :). Do you do these on the floor or between two chairs? Do you do them against a wall or something?
JP wrote:Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby JP » Thu May 26, 2005 2:10 pm

the handstand pushups are suprisingly easy compared to overhead pressing even for fat bastards like me. It's because if you think about it, it's a dramatically reduced range of motion compared to overhead pressing.

But if you do them between two chairs, you truly are hardcore :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby sensless » Thu May 26, 2005 9:52 pm

I used to do these on a regular basis. The most I have ever done as a single set is 30. My father used to do these when I was growing up so I've been familiar with them most of my life.

Regards,

Senslesss
poop.
sensless

Postby V VII Hero » Sat May 28, 2005 11:10 pm

I used to be in internartional gymnastics when i was younger.
handstands: this was one of my favorite things to do. I used to be able to hold handstands for hours...literally.

I have to get back to doing handstand pushups. last year I could do them without any support (no wall or chairs or anything). I would just do a handstand then lower myself down and push myself back up.
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Postby bronco » Sun May 29, 2005 7:14 am

V VII Hero wrote:I have to get back to doing handstand pushups. last year I could do them without any support (no wall or chairs or anything). I would just do a handstand then lower myself down and push myself back up.

That's really impressive! :D
JP wrote:Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby V VII Hero » Mon May 30, 2005 4:58 am

bronco wrote:
V VII Hero wrote:I have to get back to doing handstand pushups. last year I could do them without any support (no wall or chairs or anything). I would just do a handstand then lower myself down and push myself back up.

That's really impressive! :D

thanks. seriously that was all from gymnastics. I wish I had been able to keep up with gymnastics over the years. I bet I would be really strong right now.
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Postby willpeavy » Mon May 30, 2005 5:13 am

Joe - One arm pullups are awesome. When you get them down you should definitely put up some pics

Bronco - I was working on them last night up against a wall. One day hopefully I can move over to doing them in the middle of a room with no wall support

JP - I know what you mean. Last time I was at the gym, I was visualizing being able to do them on the dips bars

Senseless - I thought the coolest part about your story is that you had a dad that did that kind of stuff when you were growing up. Hopefully I can get my son into that, he's already all into climbing all over stuff at the playground and kicking the soccer ball around

Topher - Cool man. Doing them with no wall is definitley an accomplishment. I used to be friends with some gymnasts and they were always really good athletes
willpeavy

re: handstand pushups

Postby jemmyducks » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:00 am

I do a lot of these. Against the wall to build strength. But I spend sometime in the middle of the room too. I've only been able to do unassisted handstand pushups a few times, but it's the most amazing feeling. Practice Practice Practice!
jemmyducks

Postby Fruitbat » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:51 am

I was a gymnast for 13 years competing up to national level. As conditioning exercises one of them was handstand pushups on mini parallel bars (as a girl of course parallel bars were not an event). Usually we did tham as part of a circuit with cast to hadnstand on bars, chinups, chinups roll up to perch, hanging leg raises, pushups... that was bar conditioning. We had other circuits for floor, vault and beam conditioning
Fruitbat

Postby shadow » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:27 am

Is there a particular type of push-up that will help you build up the
right type of muscles to do the hand-stand push-ups?

I can do lots of pushups, and I can stand on my hands for a long
period of time, but when I dip down I cant get back up.

Im quite a large and heavy dude but Im sure the problem is that
I haven't been exercising the right muscle group.

Im going to start doing dimond pushups (hands close in a "W" shape)
and see if that helps.

Any other suggestions?
shadow

Postby Fruitbat » Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:14 am

if u can stand on your hands then to do the handstand pushup the best thing is to do the handstand against a wall and then simlpy attempt the pushups!
Fruitbat

Postby tylerm » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:05 pm

shadow wrote:Is there a particular type of push-up that will help you build up the
right type of muscles to do the hand-stand push-ups?

I can do lots of pushups, and I can stand on my hands for a long
period of time, but when I dip down I cant get back up.

Im quite a large and heavy dude but Im sure the problem is that
I haven't been exercising the right muscle group.

Im going to start doing dimond pushups (hands close in a "W" shape)
and see if that helps.

Any other suggestions?

I can't even stand on my hands, so perhaps my advice isn't the best :wink: but I would think that doing overhead presses (shoulder presses) would give you the strength needed to do handstand pushups. It is the same movement, basically, except you are upside down.
tylerm

Postby Cuguacuarana » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:33 am

Shadow, I would do a handstand agains the wall and lower yourself as slowly as you can. Do this several times, this will help you develop the strength to do the pushups. This same method has helped me to do more pullups.
Austin

"We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane." --Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions
Cuguacuarana

Next

Return to Power and Strength