Your favourite tips for lean muscle gain -diet, training etc

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Your favourite tips for lean muscle gain -diet, training etc

Postby JP » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:23 pm

my master Plan is to get to about 110kg by january in prep for next years comp season.

I would like to do it as lean as possible. Its easy to pack on 10kg of fat :D Been there before...

What are your favourite tips to enhance lean muscle gains? I know i will get a lot of the gains as fat, thats inevitable, but the plan is to minimise it.

Nutrition tips, training tips etc :)
JP
Site Admin

Re: Your favourite tips for lean muscle gain -diet, training

Postby xJimx » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:37 pm

Sprints FTW! Look at the 100m dudes you see on the TV - who wouldn't want to look & perform like that?!

Since I incorporated sprints into my weekly routine (I generally do 1 sprint session out of 4 total sessions per week) I look a hell of a lot better. Probably this is mainly due to fat loss but I think I've made gains too. I started out at around 50m mark as it's so hard on the body, have now worked up to standard session of 10 x 100m. By the end of the session I'm destroyed; DOMS not too bad thesedays but for the first few weeks I could barely walk afterwards!

Nutrition wise I've cut out all grains post-lunch, so no pasta/rice/bread etc with evening meal unless it's 'cheat' night. Pretty easy to do & seems ot have helped.
DYEL
xJimx

Postby JP » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:31 pm

sprints are solid man, great work for nailing them! (need to check your log again!)

not sure about the post workout carbing though, i mean i am looking to gain weight, even though slowly... its this balance of gaining but as much quality gains as possible which is the challenge, because in the past i have always embarked on BULK OF DOOM approach :D and got fat as a result. Stronger though, but fat.
JP
Site Admin

Postby xJimx » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:19 pm

I still have PWO carbs (dextrose), generally at around 3/4pm. Plus I'm still having carbs later on in the form of veg, just not rice/pasta. Like you say though our goals are very different; whilst getting stronger is nice, thesedays for me it's less important than general fitness & aesthetics.
DYEL
xJimx

Postby JP » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:23 am

being big = aesthetics as its finest :lol:

i think i will have to be careful with the junk food though (booooo!)
JP
Site Admin

Postby JP » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:56 pm

weighed myself today, 100.1 - so so so light :D

but i think i will put on a bit by just relyxing my eating a bit now.
JP
Site Admin

Postby Mellos » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:53 am

Didn't gain any bodyfat despite eating quite intuitively (and a lot) in the last 2 years. Strategy is pretty simple: train like a mf and eat whenever you are hungry. If you are really hungry eat a hell lot. Then train some more and continue eating. Also, regardless of your way of training: gpp is your friend. You did a heavy lower body session yesterday and have two more days until the next one? Perfect! Time to do some BB work for hammies, erectors and abs (as an example) ;)

And then, try to train some muscle groups that you have been neglecting. How well developed are your hips for example? Those weaker muscle groups will catch up quickly and may help you overcome some weaknesses.
Current PBs:
210 kg SQ, 135 kg Bench, 260 kg DL

Long Term Goals:
@ 75 kg: SQ - 252,5 kg, SQ w/ Wraps - 282,5 kg, DL - 307,5 kg, Total (w/o Wraps) - 710, Total (w/ Wraps) 712,5 kg
@ 82,5 kg: SQ - 275 kg, SQ w/ Wraps - 277,5 kg, Total (w/ and w/o Wraps) - 772,5 kg

Team Insanity - The Laws of Physics are Merely a Suggestion
Mellos

Postby Mellos » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:55 am

Try to eat good foods for the most part. But if you have a craving for fast food: eat it. If you are hungry and have to choose between nothing and rubbish eat rubbish :P

Basically just listen to your body. That's what I do.
Current PBs:
210 kg SQ, 135 kg Bench, 260 kg DL

Long Term Goals:
@ 75 kg: SQ - 252,5 kg, SQ w/ Wraps - 282,5 kg, DL - 307,5 kg, Total (w/o Wraps) - 710, Total (w/ Wraps) 712,5 kg
@ 82,5 kg: SQ - 275 kg, SQ w/ Wraps - 277,5 kg, Total (w/ and w/o Wraps) - 772,5 kg

Team Insanity - The Laws of Physics are Merely a Suggestion
Mellos

Postby JP » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:49 am

we have close to 20 year age difference which is why i think i pack on fat fast if i release the full force of THE BULK OF DOOM.

aye i need to keep up some of the intensity conditioning training, though i think it will be a few weeks before i am conditioned to this new Plan i am doing too with the added volume in assistance movements upping the overall volume fair bit, especially to lower back and legs.
JP
Site Admin

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating