Cutters Corner

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Cutters Corner

Postby tal » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:19 pm

I am too back on the cutting bandwagon. I have a reasonable target this time - no crazy cut to 60kg bullshit.

76kg by around November/December time. Currently at 82kg. Down 2kg in about 4 weeks.

Cutting calories down to 3200 per day is tough :( I miss bulking.
tal

Postby blinki » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:37 pm

I'm not cutting yet but it isn't far off, will be 78ish to 72ish on around 2400cal. It shouldn't be too painful and with a bit of running up hills should be over pretty quickly but still not looking forward to it.

[quote="sergio"]Thanks! I skip some of these things (can't stand TVP or seitan). Fact is, I think I'm currently doing like 110/120 gr of protein at my best days. I'm 89 kg, should I aim for more?

What's the average gr protein x bodyweight you usually have when cutting?

Since TVP and seitan don't actually taste like anything I recon people who can't use them just can't cook with them :P
blinki

Postby sergio » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:38 pm

[quote="Talyn"]

A fairly general rule would be something like 1g per lb of bodyweight. That should be pretty easy to get.

More important things to worry about than this though, when cutting. Like making sure you are weight training.

Thanks. I'll do some maths then and see how rearrange diet a little bit. It seems I'm falling short. I'm doing weight training indeed!
I accidentally replaced all of my blood with coffee.
sergio

Postby sergio » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:43 pm

[quote="blinki"]
Since TVP and seitan don't actually taste like anything I recon people who can't use them just can't cook with them :P

Probably you're right. But lentils, pistachos, beans for me. TVP is minced, insipid, wet Scotch Brite. :D
sergio

Postby baldy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:25 pm

[quote="Talyn"]I am too back on the cutting bandwagon. I have a reasonable target this time - no crazy cut to 60kg bullshit.

76kg by around November/December time. Currently at 82kg. Down 2kg in about 4 weeks.

Cutting calories down to 3200 per day is tough :( I miss bulking.

My bodyweight is hovering around 85kg, kind of happy your cutting before you over take me.
3200 a day is bulking!
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby ninearms » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:02 pm

[quote="baldy"]My bodyweight is hovering around 85kg

:shock: :shock: :shock:

You'll be lighter than me soon! Hovering around 81-82 at the moment, should be 79 and ripped by race day.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby sergio » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:09 pm

Ei, I'm being curious, when you guys who do strenght training decide to cut weight, besides cutting down calories and some cardio (I'm guessing) do you change your usual routine of reps/intensity? How it's done?

Edit: maybe it's a silly question. I know classic bodybuilders do super sets and stuff, I'm wondering if you change something too or you keep doing more or less the same..
sergio

Postby ninearms » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:25 pm

[quote="sergio"]Ei, I'm being curious, when you guys who do strenght training decide to cut weight, besides cutting down calories and some cardio (I'm guessing) do you change your usual routine of reps/intensity? How it's done?

Heavy weight, low reps, low volume. But that's to retain lean tissue. Cardio is overrated and only effective in the short term (hence why I've been able to run 1000km so far this year and lose only 2.5kg).
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby tal » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:00 am

[quote="sergio"]Ei, I'm being curious, when you guys who do strenght training decide to cut weight, besides cutting down calories and some cardio (I'm guessing) do you change your usual routine of reps/intensity? How it's done?

Edit: maybe it's a silly question. I know classic bodybuilders do super sets and stuff, I'm wondering if you change something too or you keep doing more or less the same..

Cardio isn't necessary at all for cutting weight. It comes down to fewer calories each day + time. Doing some cardio might allow you to get away with eating a bit more, but it is just one part of the energy equation. Doing excessive cardio will make it harder to recover from weight training = less weight training = bad.

Set/rep schemes don't need to change either. But of course if you are consuming less food it might make it hard to keep training with the same intensity. Which is why as ninearms said it can be useful to do fewer reps but still as heavy as you can.
tal

Postby sergio » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:59 am

Understood, this approach makes sense. Thanks for your insights. :)
sergio

Postby JP » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:19 am

personally i have added some higher rep sets/supersets as well as more conditioning style drills and a bit more moving around.

have lost about 5kg, and hopefully mostly fat :D I havent rushed it though, taken about two months now.

but now i have reached the magical 100kg mark (on the lightest dehydrated morning state, 102 normal day weight), and have a mental block of going under it, so i will just keep on plugging at this weight hoping to lose a bit of fat and gain some muscle by some unknown magical thing.

but hey, deciding to lose fat during hot summer months was the best decision ever. Love not eating as much as i do normally!
JP
Site Admin

Postby JP » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:21 am

by conditioning, i mean high intensity stuff. Its fun, varied, more sport specific (for strength sports and strongman especially) and takes less time = BANKER!
JP
Site Admin

Postby thestoatyone » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:48 am

I've been throwing in stair-sprints, and sledgehammer tyre strikes for shits and giggles, and eating less crap/more protein. Down to 85.2kg from a high of 93ishkgs over Christmas. Feels comfy, didn't have to hurt myself to do it.
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby sergio » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:01 pm

Yeah, cutting in hot summer is pretty much easier.

I've also been doing "high" intensity stuff and bw exercises. But I've never done a strength training in the strict sense, that's why I asked. I also want to train for a 10 k run (one of the main reasons to drop some kg) so it's a little bit chaos.

It always happen the same to me, I cut first 3-4 super easy, then it gets harder and harder and I finally quit and celebrate life with peanut butter, falafels and french fries. My goal was at least 87 kg. for september, let's see how it goes.
sergio

Postby tal » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:21 pm

[quote="sergio"]I cut first 3-4 super easy, then it gets harder and harder and I finally quit and celebrate life with peanut butter, falafels and french fries. My goal was at least 87 kg. for september, let's see how it goes.

The key for you then is to fit peanut butter, falafels and french fries into your cutting diet. Then you don't feel deprived.

Moderation is important.
tal

PreviousNext

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating