worlds first lab-grown hamburger

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

worlds first lab-grown hamburger

Postby mo! » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:27 am

mo!

Re: worlds first lab-grown hamburger

Postby loveliberate » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:29 pm

This pisses me off so badly...

All of the resources wasted on this when people could so simply go vegan instead - or even just reduce their consumption of animal carcasses... :evil:
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby JP » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:30 pm

that burger would have cost about 0.5 euros as a normal soya or wheat based burger...

also seems to be keeping up the myth that we HAVE to have meat.
JP
Site Admin

Postby sergio » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:51 pm

[quote="JP"]

Local TV news said briefly that it was a response to "world demand of protein". That actually makes sense, cause everyone knows that meat is the only reliable source of protein and the main interest of biotech corporations is always to end world hunger.
I accidentally replaced all of my blood with coffee.
sergio

Postby xrodolfox » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:04 am

What a waste of time and effort and energy.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby mo! » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:25 am

is going to the moon a waste of time and engergy as well? :shock:

Its science. Future. IMPOSSIBLE....its freaking awesome. -__-

Its not about veganism.
mo!

Postby xrodolfox » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:56 am

Inquiry for the sake of inquiry is worthwhile, but this is an economic goal.

I'm all for using human stem cells to make human components... but making a burger seems a business proposition. That isn't pure inquiry for the sake of pure science. This is also why we haven't been to the moon since those initial explorations. I'd be all game to go again and again but apparently, until they find oil (or it's worth mining) in the moon, that's unlikely.

This issue of lab grown meat is about feeding the false notion that animal foods are needed for a human to thrive. It's about meeting the needs of a market in which billions of people entering the global upper class can afford meat. This is an opportunity for more folks to go vegan (since the demand for animal flesh is likely to increase the costs of meat in the near future), but instead, economic interests are funding a way to create more animal flesh for consumption.

This is about veganism on a macro scale.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby loveliberate » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:23 am

[quote="mo!"]is going to the moon a waste of time and engergy as well? :shock:

While we have so many extremely serious problems (most entirely resulting from our own actions) right here on earth, yes it definitely is. I really don't want to see humans spreading our exploitation, pollution and destruction any further than we already have.
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby Heinrich » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:46 pm

I think its great.
I dont see a difference to soy or seitan burger.

Its another option where noone gets hurt.
That it promotes meat as food is also said about plant based fake meat. And I dont see anything wrong with that either.

Go, progress, go! :)
Heinrich

Postby Alistar » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:23 am

Progress? I doubt it. It's very hard to find a system more efficient than the natural system(soil, highly efficient bacteria /fungi, air, sunlight water) for growing things. I live and work in it as well as having experience growing things on/within it, so my attitude towards this isn't removed and academic. But then the sterile dirt-free factory thing does work for some people.

This is all just a big "Gee Whizz!" PR thing at the moment looking for a market. The practicalities of the whole fake meat process haven't really been nutted out especially on the massive scale needed to replace conventional agriculture. Factory areas would have to be absolutely massive. You can't get something from nothing, so will still need huge amounts of raw materials, water, power to run your factories to keep temp's just right for each process etc etc. Again I'm sceptical about how efficient it really is.
The average omni consumer ain't going to want this shit en masse I'm telling you, unless its rammed down their throats and hidden in products. It's going to be a very hard sell for the average Mum Dad and families who seem to love that "pure natural" stuff from a marketing point of view. So I only see this as a very niche thing at best, that won't really do much for reducing the suffering and killing of animals. No point having a "wonderfull cutting edge" product if no one really wants it or buy it . :arrow: No industry

I'm with JP and rodolfo on this. A massive waste of time when an efficient alternative already exists (plant protein based fake meats). And also perpetuates the myth that meat is in any way neccessary. The opportunity to move more towards a plant based agricultural system will be furthur delayed with these imo arcaic attitudes. Again moving towards plant based systems will be the fastest way to replace meat dependency and therefore animal suffering imo. Fake cell-based meat "muddies the water" in regards to this much needed paradigm shift.
We don't NEED meat ffs!
Alistar

Postby sergio » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:13 am

Another myth being perpetuated here is that food self-efficiency and sustainability has to be through this kind of high tech solutions, which are expensive or at least unavailable for communities. It's not just about veganism, its also about capitalism and the kind of relationships they promote. This is a step in the wrong direction on the human nutrition issue, in my opinion.

My english fall short when talking about this :)
I accidentally replaced all of my blood with coffee.
sergio

Postby thestoatyone » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:13 am

Whilst I am fascinated by this, and generally in favour of humanity innovating itself out of it's collective problems, I think Sergio nails it...

[quote="sergio"][quote="JP"]

Local TV news said briefly that it was a response to "world demand of protein". That actually makes sense, cause everyone knows that meat is the only reliable source of protein and the main interest of biotech corporations is always to end world hunger.
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby JP » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:28 am

but hey, global biotechnology companies have such a great track record in looking after the poor and hungry of the world, why should we be cynical about this step :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby ratfan » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:05 pm

While it is a bit weird, I'm glad someone is doing this research. While 95% of the population in developed countries and a growing number in developing countries want to eat animals - and are NOT persuaded by the ethical arguments this type of processed substitute could really reduce the numbers of animals killed for people to eat.
Of course it is difficult to imagine the technology being used wisely to help feed the world, but it's also hard to imagine the world going vegan, so it depends how things develop.
ratfan

Postby loveliberate » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:40 pm

I definitely can imagine "the world going vegan" and that's the goal I believe that we should be focused on. It's a process, there are intermediate steps & there may times when things stall or go backwards but if we keep working on it, things *will* keep getting better.

I also think that there has been considerable progress made towards this end over the past 20ish years that I've been vegan. More vegans, more vegan/vegan-friendly places & products, more awareness & agreement from folks who aren't yet vegan that Veganism / Animal Liberation is valid & worthwhile - which translates into willingness to reduce or eliminate at least some of the "animal products" that they choose to use, etc.

Regardless, I've only heard veg folks talking about this "meat" in a positive way, most carnists seem disgusted by it and I can relate in the sense that I am not at all interested in eating vegan "food" from a lab either!
loveliberate

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating