Is Neal Barnard Legit?

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Is Neal Barnard Legit?

Postby Lordmuppet » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:56 pm

I've been curious for a while now as to how much weight to give to Neal Barnard's (of PCRM) writings on vegan stuff. Would be interested to hear what you all think.

This article http://www.huffingtonpost.com/neal-barnard-md/james-gandolfini-did-not-_b_3491047.html got some alarms bells ringing due to the following which seems like low fat alarmist nonsense. To be fair the guy does cite some studies but hey I could find you two studies to support pretty much anything (no really).

[quote]Abundant research shows that even a single fatty or salty meal can stiffen the arteries and greatly increase the risk of a heart attack.

A study published last year in the Canadian Journal of Cardiology found that damage to arteries occurs almost immediately after one fatty meal. A study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition showed blood flow through arteries was significantly impaired within 30 minutes of eating a salty meal.
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Re: Is Neal Barnard Legit?

Postby ratfan » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:48 am

He is over enthusiastic about the benefits of a vegan diet - I know the UK Vegan Soc feel the same. And I (having studied nutrition) don't agree with much of his writing.
ratfan

Postby Lordmuppet » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:05 pm

thanks for the reply. Was wondering why everyone else was avoiding the thread ...
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby vegimator » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:29 pm

In addition to his questionable nutrition ideas, he also uses fat phobia to promote vegan eating - http://jezebel.com/5877398/new-anti+che ... -pure-evil
vegimator

Postby xrodolfox » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:16 pm

A friend works for PCRM, Neal Barnard's organization. She's very legit.
I'll ask her about Neal, but it's unlikely to be soon enough to add anything to this thread.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby Lordmuppet » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:49 am

maybe the question should have been Do PCRM give Good Nutritional Advice. I can edit the title.
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:35 pm

[quote="Lordmuppet"]thanks for the reply. Was wondering why everyone else was avoiding the thread ...

His dietary fat phobia and fat shaming commercials aside, he is a respectable plant based diet advocate, so my guess is that vegans are weary to poop on his image.
beforewisdom

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:38 pm

[quote="Lordmuppet"]maybe the question should have been Do PCRM give Good Nutritional Advice. I can edit the title.

The PCRM/Dr. Barnard advocates a very low fat diet, similar to McDougal or Esselstyn.

It has been many years since I read their nutrition guide, but the only supplement the last edition I read suggested was b-12. This was at a time when other guides were recommending EFA supplements. I asked Dr. Barnard about it and he strongly felt that if people followed his dietary suggestions to the letter that they would get enough EFAs from the food they ate.
beforewisdom

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating