Tour de France 2013

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Tour de France 2013

Postby audi666 » Fri May 31, 2013 1:59 pm

Anyone going out to watch/ride any of the stages this year?
http://hellopa.blogspot.com
audi666

Re: Tour de France 2013

Postby xrodolfox » Fri May 31, 2013 2:32 pm

Only if it's on TV...

Last year I tried keeping up with it online. It was a total mess.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby rattus » Fri May 31, 2013 2:54 pm

I've watched it every year since the 70's and travelled to Paris to see the finish.

But every year I get more and more disillusioned by drug cheats.

I tell myself each year that it's clean but every year the scum collects and makes the race worthless.

This year? Forget it. I've had enough of being cheated.
rattus

Postby Alistar » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:01 pm

Who last yr got done for doping in the tdf except for Frank Schleck and some no-name riding for cofidis? But I agree Rattus that the late 80's,90's and to the mid 00's were a joke. But IMO cycling is the cleanest it's been in years. At least the cheating isn't all swept under the rug as with some other sports. Cycling has the most comprehensive drug testing programme in World sport, and no other sport has the "Biological passport" programme. Sure there'll always be dopers in pro sport due to the dollars, and especially in a sport this hard where you're racing 4 to 7hrs a day for 3weeks and climbing the equivalent height of Mt Everest 3+ times. Times have come down substantially in terms of average speeds* in both mountain and flat stages since the introduction of a test for EPO(2003?) and the biological passport (2007- which catches out those doing transfusions due to the changes in percentage of reticulocytes( immature red blood cells) to mature rbc's).
I just don't see cyclists doing the impossible I used to see them doing a few yrs ago. The guys at the front seem a lot more human. They actually seem to be getting tired IMO. Past dopers( who've served their bans) who used to be quite outstanding seem to be shadows of their former selves. I see these as all positive signs that doping is more the exception than the rule.

*I've read its the equivalent of the World record coming down from 9.56 to 10.02sec in the 100m. Which is a hell of a lot slower at the top level.

I'll be logging on in the wee hrs of the morning to see some of the med and high mountain stages as you can only see it on Sky over here and I don't have a subscription. Pity Wiggo isn't going to be there, as was looking forward to hopefully some drama with Froome. Going to be fascinating watching Contador, Froome, Rodriquez battle it out tho. Also be interesting to see whether Evans, Hesjedal(and a few others) can handle the pace at the top.
Alistar

Postby rattus » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:31 am

[quote="Alistar"]Who last yr got done for doping in the tdf except for Frank Schleck and some no-name riding for cofidis?

Lance Armstrong!! :D :D :D

That did it for me.
rattus

Postby rattus » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:37 am

[quote="Alistar"] Pity Wiggo isn't going to be there, as was looking forward to hopefully some drama with Froome.

Wiggins was never in a month of Sundays going to support Froome. I think he has got out of doing it by the only way open to him.

I know, I know, I know ... I'm a cynical bugger, but I've wondering how he was going to get out of the tour for a couple of months now!! :D :D
rattus

Postby Alistar » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:51 am

[quote="rattus"]
Lance Armstrong!! :D :D :D
That did it for me.

Oh yeah...that guy. :lol: I had a different reaction to LA. I was just really glad they finally nailed the guy( lost the faith in him yrs ago :( ). He had been retired from cycling for awhile there though, so he doesn't count :P :D

[quote="rattus"]
Wiggins was never in a month of Sundays going to support Froome. I think he has got out of doing it by the only way open to him.

Where to for Bradley from here I wonder? Find another team? Retire? I think he's been badly treated by management. Can't have been easy being usurped by a younger teammate and then given no support by your team to defend ones tdf title. That would have really hurt. I can understand the rationale behind it from team Sky but I just don't think it was fair on Brad, or any cyclist ,who the year before won the damn thing for the team. Out of respect I think they should have given him their support for another year at the outset. I think they owed him that on a human level. With Froome then taking over officially in 2014. But then the risk is losing a frustrated Froome to another team I suppose... :(
Alistar

Postby rattus » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:53 pm

[quote="Alistar"]
Where to for Bradley from here I wonder? Find another team? Retire?
(

Quick step if he was belgian!

[quote="Alistar"]

I think he's been badly treated by management. Can't have been easy being usurped by a younger teammate and then given no support by your team to defend ones tdf title. (

Yup, but it was always going to happen wasn't it?
Wiggs is now, Froome is the future.
Sky got what they wanted out of Wiggo without damaging Froome too much.
And, to be fair to Froome he played it fair didn't he? Rattled the door of the cage a few times but still played for the team.
rattus

Postby GY Jon » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:31 am

I'm going to see stage 9(?) that finishes in St Male in a bit over a week, hopefully I'll see Cav with his "grubby Manx mitts" in the air! As for overall I think if Froome has the same form as last year's Tour then he's favourite, I'm impressed by the calm way he's handled being team leader. The 1st African winner of the tour?
GY Jon

Return to Cycling Forum