Is my diet any good for Powerlifting?

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Is my diet any good for Powerlifting?

Postby veganlifter » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:43 am

I am back on these boards after nearly 2 years following an injury and want to resume my powerlifting training. If I am honest my diet before was not very good, consisting mainly of vegan Pizzas, Burgers, chips and various forms of junk food such as crisps, chocolate etc. Bizarrely I tended to do quite well on the diet as far as lifting goes, however I really would like to eat more healthy now. In light of this I have now been eating a diet similar to the below for about 2 weeks. I just wondered what people thought of it as far as powerlifting goes? I have one simple goal and that is to lift more weight. I really don't care about body shape and whether I gain or lose weight as long as I continue lifting more.

Here is my diet, as you can see it is about 90% raw:

9am - homemade oat porridge with hemp milk and 50 grams of each of these seeds:
sesame
Chia seeds
Flax seeds
and a handful of prunes and figs with 1 banana sliced on top.

11 am - large of bowl of fruit, oranges, pineapple, blueberries, pears, apples, raspberries etc . With half carton of vegan yogurt such as Alpro, or pea protein yogurt

1 pm - All of these raw ingredients blended together:
2 avacardo's
200 grams of Almonds (swop with Cashew nuts on alternate days)
One bell pepper
One onion
5 Tomatoes
3 gloves of garlic
40 ml of olive oil
one broccoli
2 carrots
50 grams of pumpkin seeds
50 grams of hemp seeds
bit of Reggae Reggae Sauce or a chilli to taste

Eat all of the above with 1 bag of Kale, or other salad.

3pm
50 grams of Brazil, Pistachio or Macadamia nuts

5pm
2 apples

7pm
baked Seitan or other homemade cooked item such as bean burgers.
With raw Brocholi, carrots, Tomatoes, green beans, peas, oinion, garlic and ginger
Small amount of mixed salad with fresh parsley
and raw brown rice (soaked for 24 hours in water)
veganlifter

Re: Is my diet any good for Powerlifting?

Postby mo! » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:34 pm

it sounds quiet clean and "healthy"....Do you feel stronger/weaker? In the end its just important to feel good and strong. And when you lift heavy you get HUNGRY....and eating a good mixture/amount of everything should work. I think its most important to not be hungry. You know what i mean? This starving-hunger...thats draining and contra for lifting. But also not feasting like a maniac. Just a good inbetween to get strong. And dont make yourself an ascet if you dont feel like it (eating raw)....Ive eaten raw for a while and than quit. Its always best just to listen to your body and give what it needs. Amen :roll:
mo!

Postby hardcore iv » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:45 pm

IMO needs way more carbs. Carbs=power.
"When you are born, you are set forth to die. The fact that you live or don't live between these two dates depends solely upon your own will, opportunities and desires. The weight exerciser, of course, indicates that he chooses to live." Joseph Curtis Hise
hardcore iv

Postby tal » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:58 pm

Needs more pizza, burgers and chips.

Moderation is key.
tal

Postby veganlifter » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:40 pm

I was also thinking this regarding the carbs but I do include rice and quinoa for evening meal as well as the oats in the morning. For good measure I think I may blend a sweet raw potato in with my lunch and snack more on dried fruit in the day. Looking at the stats dried fruit often contains 50% carbohydrates. I could also include chesnuts as these contain around 35% carbohydrate. I may also eat more Bananas. ideally I want to stay away from pasta and bread and be about 90% raw.
veganlifter

Postby tal » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:24 pm

[quote="veganlifter"]ideally I want to stay away from pasta and bread and be about 90% raw.

Why?
tal

Postby Linnéa76 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:25 pm

I believe any diet that gives you enough energy and protein is good enough for powerlifting. Eating 90% raw seems a little impractical
when you need a high calorie intake? But a nutrient dense diet is probably good for recovery and for the immune defence -
fewer sick days means more training days!
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby MH1896 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:09 am

where the fuck is my post? i wrote a bunch of lines going on about how it's not rocket science and stuff :D
the gist was: if you want raw carbs, stock up on bananas and just snack them in between or make a smoothie. 5 bananas will give you 125g of carbs or more.
but you really shouldn't overthink it. just eat whatever feels right... for me that is carbloaded stuff most of the time.
and vegan pizza and vegan burgers (if you make the patty yourselve and don't use those glutenbased ones) are not too bad either (you don't seem to be allergic to gluten, so a bit of from the pizza or burgerbuns won't hurt ya. staying away from gluten is good, but don't overdo it. it won't mess you up, until you have those gluten-meat-subsitutes twice a day). and they taste good. and that makes you happy. and being happy is important for performance.
MH1896

Postby veganlifter » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:33 am

[quote]Why?

The simple reason is I am not convinced the majority of bread (even brown bread) and pasta are healthy. I have read numerous studies linking both with various types of cancer. On the other side of the coin I have read studies linking brown bread with a reduction in certain types of cancer, however on the balance of evidence I prefer to stay away from both. I have to say since giving up bread and pasta my asthma has been greatly reduced.

Linnea why do you think a 90% raw diet may be challenging as far as calorific intake goes? If you look at nuts and seeds they are pretty high in calories. Why is this a problem? The only thing I can think of that really needs to be cooked are certain beans as they are mildly toxic raw, however I do sprout a lot of the beans I can. I just love bean sprouts they taste great!

MH I agree with you regarding the Bananas. If needs be I will simply up the intake of these. It's interesting that some lifters seem to advocate a relatively low carb intake. While other advocate a high carb intake. I just wanted to make sure with my current diet I am not completely off the mark!

Thanks for your help guys
veganlifter

Postby Linnéa76 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:25 pm

[quote="veganlifter"]Linnea why do you think a 90% raw diet may be challenging as far as calorific intake goes? If you look at nuts and seeds they are pretty high in calories. Why is this a problem? The only thing I can think of that really needs to be cooked are certain beans as they are mildly toxic raw, however I do sprout a lot of the beans I can. I just love bean sprouts they taste great!

Just what I've heard from several other people's experiences - that they find the sheer volume of food they have to eat a bit difficult in the long run,
more like foraging than eating. But if you enjoy your food and make sure you're getting enough calories, then it shouldn't be any problem!
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating