Too many calories

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Too many calories

Postby muchidna » Thu May 09, 2013 2:55 pm

and a third of a bagel? lol

today, my diet was

breakfast: 1 cup oats+soy milk or oat protein pancakes (virtually identical ingredients) + a banana sliced on it, maybe brown sugar to taste, and some rice cakes + apple juice(w/ creatine)

lunch: black bean patty on wholemeal bread, tomato+mustard sauce and some rice cakes

dinner: tomato tofu curry with paranthas(spelling?)

after dinner: protein smoothie + chugged some soy milk before it went out of date (which i regret)

snacks: i think i had an apple and a couple handfulls of nuts

i'm still working on my diet, this is geared towards protein intake, but i estimate it's right around 2000 calories, maybe a little over or under, and i'm aiming at 2600- today i was completely stuffed and couldnt eat more, i'm also trying out intermittent fasting right now(why not), it's 1am, and i haven't eaten since 7:30pm, and i'm still stuffed

i think the only real way to lower your calories would be to eat less, and more wholesome foods w/ lots of fiber, ditch the white breads/breakfast cereals, pizza/junk food, eating more fruit could help with the fiber, and better carbs, and improve your general health, right now i see one avocado on your days food, stir frys are good, they are somewhat low calorie to portion size and very fast to make, my typical stir fry is broccoli, mushrooms, tomatoes, and whatever other suitable vegetables i have stir fried with soy+ginger+lemon+garlic sauce and tofu with quinoa or brown rice
muchidna

Postby xrodolfox » Thu May 09, 2013 4:52 pm

That day I posted was me eating towards the high end of calories.

I also had the same problem when I ate pounds of fruit and veggies in a day. I ate 4 avocados a few months ago. Still too many calories for now.

Once I get to my race weight, I'll start it up again. I love avocado.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby skoptic » Sun May 19, 2013 8:52 pm

[quote="xrodolfox"]I'm still having a real hard time keeping my daily intake lower than 2400. 4200 feels great. I'd be stuffing myself at 5200. And 2400 feels like borderline starving. But I'm supposed to do 1960 to reach my goal.
It's almost easier to fast.

I just did 3100 today and feel STUFFED.... You have a champion stomach Rodolfo!!!
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby xrodolfox » Sun May 19, 2013 10:41 pm

I've been at 4500, 3500, and 4100 for the past three days.
It's been nice. Very nice. Today, before dinner, I'm already at 3100, and I'm feeling hungry.
This week I've just said, "fuck the diet".
Although now I've bottomed out at 188lbs at 5'10". I run much faster when I'm a bit lower. I bike marginally faster when I'm lighter. I swim the same whether I weigh 215lbs or 175lbs... I'm just grumpier at 175lbs.

Perhaps this is why I hate running so much. When I do well, I'm grumpy.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby xrodolfox » Sun May 19, 2013 10:44 pm

[quote="skoptic"]I just did 3100 today and feel STUFFED.... You have a champion stomach Rodolfo!!!

I am starting to sympathize with folks on diets.

It is rough.

But I don't get how people feel stuffed at 2000kcal or even at 3100.

I don't get it.

I'll be back to feeling hungry next week.
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby xrodolfox » Sun May 19, 2013 10:45 pm

Also, if/when we next do a vegan fitness gathering, it needs to have a food eating contest.
This needs to happen.

I cannot eat the way I used to when I was in my teens and 20's, but I'd love to try.
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby Mufflon » Mon May 20, 2013 3:52 pm

[quote="xrodolfox"][quote="skoptic"]
But I don't get how people feel stuffed at 2000kcal or even at 3100.

I don't get it.

Me neither. :(
Mufflon

Postby skoptic » Mon May 20, 2013 10:54 pm

shrink your stomach/hunger on 1800 cals a day for 8 months does the trick here ;)
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby xrodolfox » Tue May 21, 2013 2:54 pm

I've been eating at 1960 kcal/day for most of the last 2 months.
I still feel best at a minimum of 3500 kcal/day.

Today I'm back on the wagon after averaging 3600 kcal/day last week. I ate 4000 kcal/day on three days last week.
Yesterday I was back down to 2100 kcal. Today I'm shooting for less.

Race day is Saturday.
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby Speciell » Tue May 21, 2013 7:05 pm

I'm pretty impressed by the 1960. Before my 10kg bulk period I was not into food at all and wished for pills so I could get it over with. After bulk, it seems that it is insanely hard not to overeat, and all under eating makes me hungry, cranky and craving that just don't get satisfied until I get what I crave. Keep it up though! You know you want to! You have a race! GO GO GO!
You simply have a sledgehammer down your pants!
Speciell

Postby xrodolfox » Sun May 26, 2013 12:54 am

Well, I've been stuck at 188lbs for the past week. I've been eating an average of 2100 rather than 1960 kcal.
Good news is that I've been training more consistently. I think I can get lower still.
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby loveliberate » Sun May 26, 2013 1:16 pm

[quote="xrodolfox"]I tend to eat what the kids and wife leave behind. Benefit/detriment to a vegan household.
That's where you get 1/8 of a bowl of two different breakfast cereal.

Ha! This sounds very familiar. ;)
It just occured to me that of the active posters on VF, all of the parents I can think of are fathers - this doesn't strike me as a common occurence... :)
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby xrodolfox » Sun May 26, 2013 5:37 pm

[quote="loveliberate"][quote="xrodolfox"]I tend to eat what the kids and wife leave behind. Benefit/detriment to a vegan household.
That's where you get 1/8 of a bowl of two different breakfast cereal.

Ha! This sounds very familiar. ;)
It just occured to me that of the active posters on VF, all of the parents I can think of are fathers - this doesn't strike me as a common occurence... :)

Well, my wife is vegan too... but she doesn't post on any sites for any reason. She's half-assing it on FB, even though she's supposed to do it for work.

Perhaps most of the vegan parents, it's the dads that post most often?
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby britdoc » Wed May 29, 2013 8:51 pm

I always find that the hot drinks - usually tea - make me feel full and get rid of the sweet craving. Green tea, if you can stand it. Or some sort of fruity herbal tea, sort of satisfies sweet cravings. In a wholly suboptimal way, yes, I know.
britdoc

Previous

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating