Not eating enough?

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Not eating enough?

Postby muchidna » Fri May 03, 2013 4:03 am

hey guys, i want to really plan out my diet so i get good protein/calories intake, right now i'm pretty skinny, and i want to gain some weight

i'm finding it hard to eat enough calories, and enough protein daily, below is a link to an ideal day for me, the values arent 100% accurate, but an estimation,
http://i.imgur.com/1nfwVXP.png
typically i will try to make a curry/stir fry type deal with as much protein in it as i can, with about 2 servings worth at dinner time, then eat the 2nd serving the next day at lunch, or i will make a big dish of it and eat it for the next couple days(the lunch/dinner in that image are cooked together into a curry)
my main problem is, this stuff will keep me full all day if i eat like this, i will be eating when i still feel full from the previous meal, and it seems to be barely meeting my TDEE (calculated), and even harder when i make a stir fry or something with less calories in it.

also, a recent thing i've started is limiting my eating to 2pm-10pm, though even before this this meal plan was very filling and hard to maintain

anyway, any suggestions what i can do to meet my daily goals? recipes? suggestions etc
i'm trying to improve my diet so i can gain muscle, hoping for around 140g protein a day, and 2600-2700 calories a day
muchidna

Re: Not eating enough?

Postby blinki » Fri May 03, 2013 4:35 pm

Why are you not eating before 2? Surely that's just making things harder?

How long have you been trying to eat more? I always find it takes me a while to get used to it so the first while feels like force feeding myself. Though ultimately gaining weight will often involve eating when you don't hugely want to because you have to.

More practically, 2 slices of toast is just wrong :P I eat 6-8 because I find it easy to eat
blinki

Postby kallefs » Fri May 03, 2013 5:30 pm

The intermittent fasting stuff is a no-no if you want to eat more but can't because you are full. Thats at least eight hours of not eating that you are loosing.
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby JP » Sat May 04, 2013 11:00 am

+ sleeping time

hey, dont make it unnecessarily complex :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby xrodolfox » Sat May 04, 2013 11:10 am

We should trade diets.

I was keeping to under 2k kcalories until 9pm last night when after a stressful day and no working out to release it I ate large 3 burritos, 4 bowls of pasta and bread and olive oil. That apparently was 1500 kcalories, and my diet was blown.

Simply eat more, and eat more beans.

I don't really feel much sympathy for people that feel full quickly. Just eat. It's simple. It feels good. Put oil on food. Buy large plates. Eat right out of the can/fridge. Just eat. It's simple.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby muchidna » Mon May 06, 2013 3:35 am

hey guys, i'm going shopping tomorrow, maybe we can start a shopping list to add to my diet? so far i'm gonna be looking for some bulk beans, and will be swinging by the health food shop too
any ideas?
i'm looking for some good calorie sources with a good dose of protein in them, aiming for aroung 140g/day

as for the IF thing, well i'm rarely hungry since i started doing it, i'm gonna try and give it a shot if i can, while getting the calories i want- so far i've had more energy, woken up alot fresher since i started it so i'm hesitant to give it up

@ xrodolfox ouch, i couldnt eat that much lol, how do you make a vegan burrito anyway? seitan or something?
muchidna

Postby xrodolfox » Mon May 06, 2013 10:22 am

Also, buy fats and spreads and sauces and nut butters.

A high calorie vegan burrito might have: lots of mashed avocado, black beans, seitan, more avocado, fried brown rice, pico de gallo, veganaise, french fries (yes, in the burrito), and ideally, all deep fried. This thing should weigh around a pound. Finish it off with two bananas and peanut butter sandwiches (oiled and fried) for desert.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby muchidna » Mon May 06, 2013 4:01 pm

there goes my arteries

what do you mean by fats? you mean cooking oils and stuff?
muchidna

Postby xrodolfox » Mon May 06, 2013 5:14 pm

Yes.
Put olive oil on everything. Best snack: bread dipped on olive oil and salt.
Fry everything you can as well. 1) it' s fun 2) it's delicious. 3) You will get more calories.

This is how I easily ate 4000+ kcal a day.
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating