Too many calories

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Too many calories

Postby xrodolfox » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:49 pm

I just realized that I was eating more than 3800 calories a day for most of the past 4 years. I'd drop down to 3000/day when training. I'd eat upwards of 4000kcal a day at least once a week.

Now I'm trying to eat less.

How the hell do people eat less than 2000/day? I'm supposed to eat 1950 to meet my modest weight loss goals this season.

Ahhhhh! Halp. Plz.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Re: Too many calories

Postby xrodolfox » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:51 pm

To clarify: I know what to eat (I think), and what not to eat (I think). This has got to do with how to deal with hunger (I think).
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby skoptic » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:13 pm

I've been calorie watching after taking a year off and trying to get my weight down, so I log everything in an app.

I must have shrunk my stomach because I'm eating 1800 cals (net) each day, which seems like its too little! Although that is net, so if I run and swim I can eat an extra 1000 which is 'burnt off'.

I think doing protein at the right time keeps me full, and a graze of meals rather than 3 biggies.
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby xrodolfox » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:31 pm

I don't get what the deal is with protein.

It doesn't fill me more or less than eating salads or fats. When I eat a salad, I just eat the whole darn head of lettuce and more. When I eat a sandwich, I have two or three burgers, and it doesn't fill me more or less.

I'm just grumpy now because one serving of food is TINY, regardless of what it is.
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby kallefs » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:37 pm

You get used to it, and I also think the stomach shrinks. I really don't like being hungry or eating to little but that is the only way for me to loose some weight so I just accept the hunger, good thing is that after about an hour or so the hunger usually goes away.

My advice is to just dive straight in and eat your 1800 kcal per day and live with the hunger for a week or three, I have not noticed any difference regarding what I eat.
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby ninearms » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:11 pm

In before HTFU.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby blinki » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:44 pm

My advice would to be not to drive right in but I guess it's a matter of preference. I have to lower gradually otherwise I get pissy about it. I'd rather take a couple of weeks longer to get to my goal and not feel like I'm suffering.
blinki

Postby baldy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:08 pm

[quote="xrodolfox"]I don't get what the deal is with protein.

If I have weetabix or oats for breakfast, by 11 o'clock I am starving. A protein shake for breakfast and I am grand till lunch. Maybe its a fibre thing more than the actual carbs or protein.

For me it was easy to just skip breakfast and drink coffee till 1 o'clock, your results might vary.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby xrodolfox » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:11 pm

The only thing that's curbed my angry hunger has been to hit the pool, bike, or run; hard.

I'm so grumpy at work. Bit I've lost 25lbs so far.
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby loveliberate » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:39 am

[quote="xrodolfox"]Bit I've lost 25lbs so far.
Great work then! How much are you aiming to shed?
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby ida » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:52 am

I lost 9 kg in 12 months a few years back by just changing a few things:

* bought smaller plates, then I didnt load on as much food for dinner, but visually the plate still looked "full"
* learn to go to sleep feeling hungry. Dont eat anything the last couple of hours before going to bed.
* bring lunch box to work instead of eating out
* accept that feeling hungry is ok, as long as you eat what you need (proteins, vitamins, carbs, etc) when eating
* a glass of water with a tad lemon juice takes the immediate suger craving away. Then step away from the fridge/cupboard/where ever you keep your goodies
* don't go grocery shopping when feeling hungry

Juat some small changes really, but have done the trick for me.
there is always time for rowing
ida

Postby silver » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:54 am

What worked for me was water.
Pints of water.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/44156 ... d-thirsty/
It's not what you do occasionally that makes a difference, it's that which you do everyday that brings progress.

http://www.thesilverman.co.uk

Strava-https://www.strava.com/athletes/2077466
silver
User Activation Admin

Postby xrodolfox » Wed May 01, 2013 11:15 am

This is harder than hard training.
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby Mufflon » Wed May 01, 2013 4:23 pm

Indeed it is. Eating less than 2000 kcals seems to be something I don't like. I feel a lack of energy and very nervous at the same time when doing it only for a few days. I can't imagine how people eat less than 2000 kcal's all the time and feel satisfied. :(
Mufflon

Postby silver » Wed May 01, 2013 5:09 pm

It hurts, it's almost as bad as quitting smoking.
It's not what you do occasionally that makes a difference, it's that which you do everyday that brings progress.

http://www.thesilverman.co.uk

Strava-https://www.strava.com/athletes/2077466
silver
User Activation Admin

Next

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating