Article: "Why women should not run"

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Article: "Why women should not run"

Postby xrodolfox » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:29 pm

This article has been going around a lot this week:
Why women should not run

I do not like how condescending it is, or it's strange sexism/misogyny. But I've also seen the effects of "steady-state cardio" on fitness and results at races compared to intervals.

I'd love to hear what folks here have to say on this article.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Re: Article: "Why women should not run"

Postby JP » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:42 pm

the condesending tone is the style many of these strengtha and conditioning coaches market themselves as the gurus, its the "shut up and listen" style of writing where any other views are ridiculed rather than any kind of space for discussion created. Its kind of funny when you agree with the article, and really irritating when you dont :D

sexism in the form of women having one single goal of fat loss to do anything is irritating, but easily formed for PTs i guess because of the client base. But anyway, taking the sexism out, and the arrogance, its kind of good point isnt it?

And in one way this article is against the sexism prevalent in the fitness industry, that there are only certain acceptable ways for women to lose fat and thats not through something which would have high intensity (where one might not look pretty all the time, or might sweat, or grunt!). Thats a positive thing about this article i think.
JP
Site Admin

Postby skoptic » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:36 pm

Hmm... Sadly I don't know enough to comment on the science. I've seen intervals work wonders on some people, I've seen steady state work wonders on others (from fat burning perspective alone).

Interesting read, personally I think there is need for both in a decent training plan. In a fat loss plan, I suppose you do whichever help you lose the fat ;)
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby tal » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:45 am

I do agree with the overall message (that more people should be lifting), but yeah the communication is poor and has the typical "I'm a strength trainer if you don't strength train you're a p***y" type of condesending arrogance that is very common for articles in this area.

Also a strong fail on the use of one anecdotal example to somehow base a whole scientific argument around, but then again it is Kiefer so this is to be expected.
tal

Postby JS » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:19 pm

A little bit of a weird article really and I'm not sure what to think. Reading his first paragraph about having no sympathy for people I shut down to his message! Unfair perhaps. I have to admit I don't know much about what causes folk to gain weight and always thought it was down to eating too much and exercising too little.....I think I need to go read more about steady state cardio but that tends to be the exercise I like as I like to be on the move :)
JS

Postby silver » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:45 pm

He's selling something, therefore has a vested interest.
He's marketing to women.

At the point where he says 'Science wants you to stop running' ALL the red flags went up. At any point where an article includes "science says..." it no longer has any credibility whatsoever.

His argument is that running induces low-T3 syndrome.
His further advice to stop eating so much will only exacerbate a low-T3 issue (according to this research: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8498602 , quoted in that article*, ironically enough!)
Worth looking through some of the references for more detail, especially as this crops up: "That is, low-T3 syndrome was induced by the energy cost of exercise and was prevented in exercising women by increasing dietary energy intake."

Thus, eat enough to cover your running and you won't get this related thyroid issue.

Personally, I'm with Rodolfo on the observation that steady state cardio is not the way to develop as an athlete, but if it's what you are into, it will keep you fit, and if you have a good diet, it won't make you fat.
Lets face it, running makes you fat is a ridiculous conclusion to draw!
Bad diet makes you fat, that's much more believable.

* the articles all seemed to have small samples that don't neccesarily relate to the target audience, also no disclosure of interests, however, I didn't chase up the entire papers.
It's not what you do occasionally that makes a difference, it's that which you do everyday that brings progress.

http://www.thesilverman.co.uk

Strava-https://www.strava.com/athletes/2077466
silver
User Activation Admin

Postby Mufflon » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:02 pm

I've read this article some months ago. Rubbish. Eating too much calories makes people fat, not running. Doh!

It also makes me shake my head that a lot of people seriously seem to think that "burning fat" is the only reason to go running.
Mufflon

Postby Ruff » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:03 pm

Its almost funny. Except people may believe it. And maybe his friend Jessica has a problem, after all Thyroid problems are very real, and cause havoc to the metabolism. But to imply running causes this problem? That is a jump, and not very logical either.

For example, I am extremely anaemic. I had a blood test just over a year ago, and I wasn't anaemic. I was also not vegan (or vegetarian, I ate a meat based paleo diet), and I was not a runner.
This year my blood test shows I am severly anaemic.
Ergo...running and veganism makes you anaemic.

Or not. During the year other things happened, notably I became menopausal. As did my friend. My non running, non vegan, meat eating friend. And we are both now anaemic. Only in her case nobody is blaming her diet, or her exercise!

His friend Jessica might be having problems with her thryroid, which is causing her other problems, rather than the other way around.

As for weight loss and running. Where to start?! The assumption that women only run for weight loss reasons is strange in itself, as is the underlying assumption that running is in some way unpleasant. I like to run.

I started running because I realised I needed to get fit, so I could run to school if there was another disaster. I also wanted to loose weight. So far, running, and eating healthily, I have lost over 60 pounds. Therefore it is possible to lose weight and run. But if I wanted to lose weight, I would look at the diet first. If i want to run, I run.

Actually the author of this article reads like he is a pompous ass. He likes to train one way, therefore that is the way to train, and training any other way causes problems, in fact all problems, whatever the cause will be attributed to the 'wrong training'. I am afraid I don't understand the science, but I do know how 'facts' can be manipulated to show whatever you want. After all I was paleo for a year, convinced it was good for my health. The science proved it!

Poor Jessica.
From Katie
Ruff

Postby xrodolfox » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:23 am

I'm very pleased by the discussion on this article.

Part of the reason I wanted to hear what folks on here wrote is that my wife just began cycling again. However, she complains that she doesn't loose weight. That's not the reason she's training, but according to her, it would be a nice side-effect. She rarely looses any weight when she trains... and she mostly does steady state cycling.

I tend to agree with some of what it says... but I don't know the science on this this that well, so I wanted to get confirmation/debunking on this topic. However, most of all, I was also really put off by the misogyny in the article. This guy is a jerk. I wanted to figure that out too.

This has helped me, except on the figuring out the science on this article.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby JP » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:58 pm

i think its worth giving high intensity interval training a go too, it can be fun, even if quite demanding and brutal - but then again so is long distance running and cycling, just in a different way!
JP
Site Admin

Postby Mufflon » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:10 pm

[quote="xrodolfox"]
Part of the reason I wanted to hear what folks on here wrote is that my wife just began cycling again. However, she complains that she doesn't loose weight. That's not the reason she's training, but according to her, it would be a nice side-effect. She rarely looses any weight when she trains... and she mostly does steady state cycling.

I know. However, neither steady state not HIIT seems to "help me lose weight". And so didn't strength training. Or so I think. But then again I guess it really did help me maintain my weight.

Having a badly bumped knee cap right now causing problems running, cycling, walking for longer distances or climbing or going down stairs I really have to watch my calories or I gain weight. I will start aquarunning next Friday and will go to the pool more often but I miss running and cycling.

A lot of people compensate the calories they burnt exercises by eating more. A lot of people also overestimate what they burn during the exercise.

However, I was more surprised how much the (almost) daily cardio helps me to maintain my weight (though I'm still overweight) so there must be a significant calorie burn. Otherwise I wouldn't have problems maintaining right now.
Mufflon

Postby Ruff » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:02 pm

I think there is a difference in how exercise affects people who have been overweight. It is also different if they have never been slim, compared with those who were once slim, but are now overweight.

This is an observation, not the report of a scientific study.

However, I also think steady cardio, for those who love it, is such mood enhancer that it would be worth it come what may....almost! At least one is not at home eating biscuits in front of the TV getting ever more depressed as I was.
From Katie
Ruff

Postby Calum » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:48 am

I haven't had a chance to read the article yet. However...what about high intensity interval running training? That's a core part of my training each week. Would this guy recommend that I stop that too? :D
Calum

Postby Mufflon » Wed May 01, 2013 4:25 pm

You're not a woman and running makes only women fat. So don't worry. :mrgreen:
Mufflon

Postby Mufflon » Wed May 01, 2013 4:26 pm

[quote="Ruff"]I think there is a difference in how exercise affects people who have been overweight. It is also different if they have never been slim, compared with those who were once slim, but are now overweight.

This is an observation, not the report of a scientific study.

So what did you observe? I'm curious. ;)
Mufflon

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating