Beginning a High Raw Diet

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Beginning a High Raw Diet

Postby VeganGraham » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:48 am

[quote]Hmm I think the fear on this forum about raw diets making veganism look more fringe is getting increasingly close to making veganism look more antisocial.

This forum is one of the few places where veganism for the animals comes first and I like it that way. There are plenty of other forums and Facebook groups for people who are using veganism as a cover for an eating disorder or as a way of asserting their place as part of an alternative subculture.
Eating only foods that haven't been heated above 42 degrees has got no more relevance to veganism than eating only foods that begin with the letter C.

Bounce, if your medications are causing the bloating, are you sure this is something that can be cured by diet alone ?
If you are setting yourself an impossible target, that's not going to help with the original problem that you are taking the medication for in the first place.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby mouche » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:22 am

[quote="Big Good Wolf"]Bounce, if your medications are causing the bloating, are you sure this is something that can be cured by diet alone ?

Best way of phrasing the issue at the heart of this I think.

Bounce, I'm not sure who or which argument(s) your last post was aimed at, but I feel it has further confused the issue. On the one hand you are saying you believe your meds are causing the issue, on the other you are arguing that your doctor said it's not the meds, and over all of this you have chosen a dietary remedy to a problem which may not be caused by diet. You need to first find out definitively whether or not it is the meds causing the root problem.

[As for the high raw issue/debate - I'm not ignoring your post, Big Good Wolf, but I'm not going to go into my viewpoint any more on here. I have been on this forum for years and have seen what happens when people do. My last word on this is that I really would urge members to decide whether the reason people decide to stop eating animal products matters, or whether the only thing that matters is that they choose not to eat animal products. I would suggest this discussion is not continued here. If people want to continue the debate I am happy to do it over private message.]
mouche

Postby Bounce » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:47 pm

[quote="mouche"][quote="Big Good Wolf"]Bounce, if your medications are causing the bloating, are you sure this is something that can be cured by diet alone ?

Best way of phrasing the issue at the heart of this I think.

Bounce, I'm not sure who or which argument(s) your last post was aimed at, but I feel it has further confused the issue. On the one hand you are saying you believe your meds are causing the issue, on the other you are arguing that your doctor said it's not the meds, and over all of this you have chosen a dietary remedy to a problem which may not be caused by diet. You need to first find out definitively whether or not it is the meds causing the root problem.

Sorry if I'm unclear... I only have phone internet and no laptop, so it's hard to follow things (I don't use internet much outside of work).

I mean that I use a forum for bipolar people and a lot of people talk about issues like mine and have the same symptoms as me... Granted, I don't believe everything I read online and these people may have eating issues, or other factors they're not declaring. However, many are talking about the bloating and weight gain saying nothing can help it.

I have spoken to both my psychiatrist and GP about difficulty losing weight and bloating. My psychiatrist did recommend elimination diets, but I never had these problems before (as I said, I dropped a lot of weight and ran two half marathons) and he said that the drug would not give me intolerances I didn't previously have.

Note: I would leave my medication, but it has given me my life back! I have been eating like this five days and have more energy... This may be raw, or may be just that maybe I should have tried different cooked diets. Think I'll give this a month, then try the equivalent cooked. Thanks by the way, to people taking the time to reply.

*should start using quotes as I'm confusing people - sorry!*
Bounce

Postby blinki » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:14 pm

[quote="Bounce"] he said that the drug would not give me intolerances I didn't previously have.

I guess it is worth keeping in mind you still could have developed an intolerance and it has no relation to the medication beyond roughly the same timing. It's maybe a bit unlikely but still possible.
blinki

Postby thestoatyone » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:03 pm

Hell, give it a go; if it works for you then that's a win. Get some nuts in to keep the protein up a bit, and you should be fine.

You seem to have caught a bit of flack from the "Just say NO" contingent, and for that I'm sorry. I think as a forum we can probably dial this back a bit now guys? At least until we get some genuine tin-foil hatters on here again...
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby kallefs » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:15 am

Stoaty has the best answer, if it works for you go with it. It's not like you die if you eat like that and if you want to change it you just do it in a minute. Use one of the many online calculators if you feel the need to see the macros and/or kcal for your daily intake. I have been eating rice and fried tofu only for the last week , not optimal but time efficient :)
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby JP » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:27 pm

aye, regardless of personal opinions about raw stuff, i would still like to wish you all the best in finding the thing that works :)
JP
Site Admin

Postby Bounce » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:59 pm

So I was baking something for a party in work and decided to sample goods..

I now feel like a beach ball and pretty drowsy... Think I may have a wheat problem :-(
Bounce

Previous

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating