What do you eat at work for lunch?

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

What do you eat at work for lunch?

Postby baldy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:32 pm

Not the most appetising picture, but here is my weeks supply of lunches.
Pasta salad with morrisons chicken chunks, sundried tomatoes, olives, capers, gherkins, olives and hummus.

My work does not have a microwave, so trying to get inspired with some more ideas. What do you eat?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Re: What do you eat at work for lunch?

Postby loveliberate » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:36 pm

Yes please! :D
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby blinki » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:03 pm

I like that they all seem to be Swedish Glaze tubs.

I have the same sort as thing as I have for dinner but we have a microwave. When I'm out the office I'm an a bit lazy and Mostly have seitan slices with a tub of hummus so the seitan can scope the hummus. It is damn good. Otherwise it's either couscous, pasta sauce and beans or a collection of things that I happen to have- cold burgers/sausages, fruit, nuts, cereal if milk will keep, biscuits, falafels in pita ect. I'm not very good at lunch really, some ideas to steal would be good.
blinki

Postby kallefs » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:39 pm

So you have supercomputers but no microwave? I usually have pasta with something or thai or chinese, I usually make like 10 portions and freeze them. The key thing is to have stuff that is at least edible after being microwaved.
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby VeganGraham » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:05 pm

Sandwiches were the standard work food for generations, although they seem to have gone out of fashion more recently. I still make and take them.
We've got a microwave, fridge and toaster at work. Toasted muffins or crumpets make a nice change.
We've got a Morrisons just over the road as well, so if I'm on early shift, I'll go over and buy bread rolls while they are still warm.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby JP » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:14 am

my work doesnt have a microwave, or a fridge. Except during winter, when it is a fridge.

but i wouldnt use a microwave anyway. I just eat sandwiches or yesterdays leftovers cold. Maybe a tub of yoghurt, then some nuts, maybe soya milk, protein bar...
JP
Site Admin

Postby sosso » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:07 am

PB & J
sosso

Postby mouche » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:37 am

I cook everything on Sunday evening, as I know if I leave it for the week I won't do it (and I can't trust myself to leave leftovers). We have a microwave so I normally throw together some concoction of vegetables, quinoa/rice/pasta/sweet potato, and tofu/frozen soy mince. Sometimes the concoction revolves around chopped tomato and paprika and chili powder etc - sometimes it revolves around coconut milk and madras curry powder. I basically have those two "templates" and just vary the specific ingredients.

I quite often make my vegetable mixture on a Sunday, then throw a sweet potato in the microwave at work and use my vegetable mixture as a topping - saves me having to use another saucepan to cook quinoa/rice/pasta on my Sunday evening.

One of my favourites lately is red lentils cooked in coconut milk, then throw in some mince, frozen okra (could also use edamame, broad beans, peas, spinach, whatever really), season with cumin, cinnammon, and soy sauce/salt. All cooks in one pot, really filling thanks to the coconut millk, and goes really well with sweet potato and chutney.

I'm only working two days this week though so couldn't be bothered to cook anything, so today and tomorrow I will be having rye bread with tofu spread and some chopped bell pepper and probably other nibbles - plus soy yoghurt, chocolate, etc.

People here always go nuts for my lunches, they seem to think I'm like some lunch guru, I think the trick is to make your lunch as colourful as possible and then people automatically assume it's delicious and healthy.
mouche

Postby xJimx » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:47 pm

Peanut butter sandwiches, every single day.

In my defence I travel quite a bit but you can throw PB sarnies in the car & they'll be fine, even when the weather is warm.
DYEL
xJimx

Postby DC Runner » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:42 pm

Today, I had fajitas - the "meat" was crumbled tempeh with crimini mushrooms and walnuts, some brown rice, sundried tomatoes, homemade guac, spinach, and daiya vegan cheese.
DC Runner

Postby baldy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:30 pm

[quote="JP"]... i wouldnt use a microwave anyway....

Hippy!
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Linnéa76 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:03 pm

I'm not a big fan of cold lunches but you can make a pretty satisfying sandwich with guacamole, alfalfa sprouts and slices of smoked tofu!
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby Adena » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:29 am

Couscous and chickpea salad is a favorite of mine during the summer. Throw in some chopped cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion (very important to only use a teeny portion!), and olives. Season with garlic, salt, tahini, whatever else you think goes with that stuff. Super easy and quick. I just cook the plain couscous the night before in like five minutes on the stovetop.
Adena

Postby Bounce » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:29 am

We have a "vegetarian only microwave" at work!

I normally eat salads for lunch, sometimes with sprouted mix, or hummus and sometimes a handful of nuts.
Bounce

Postby ida » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:20 pm

I would suggest to make some "raggmunkar" (pancakes with potatoes and smoked tofu). Wicked tasty when newly made and still delicious to eat cold. I like mine with lingonberry jam, but any jam works. Or owen pancake (ugnspannkaka). Also good to make with potatoes, smoked tofu and some mushrooms. Cooking with chickpea flour instead of regular wheat flour makes them a bit healthier.

There are all sorts of cooking options at my work, so I usually bring some leftovers from dinner the day before (often from http://www.gronakassen.se). When I feel like a treat I go to the vegetarian/vegan restaurant located in the building next to my department at campus. Really nice food, but also quite a lot in every portion, so eating there every day would mean major bulking. Try to keep my visits there to 1 time/week.
there is always time for rowing
ida

Next

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating